• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB: Padded or not?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Do all of you guys pad your hineys or do some of you ride unpadded?

Just got a pair of Loeka shorts from Chainlove and while I knew they were unpadded when I bought them, I figured I'd wear a padded liner underneath. Well, joke's on me... there's a soft liner in them that would add to the bulk. In other words, too many layers for me so I guess I will be giving these a shot as is. Nice shorts, the inside is very soft and comfy... just will be weird without padding on the HT. Though I guess it will just make me a better rider, right? :lol:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I always ride in lycra with a good padded chamois. When I MTB I wear unlined MTB shorts over my lycra so in case (when) I fall I don't ruin my $60-80 bibs.

BackLoafRiver

Padded for sure. I rode 5 or 6 times at the beginning of the season without and my "seat" would never forgive me. After riding with, I never want to go un-padded again.

bvibert

Staff member
Seriously, I would not want to ride without padded shorts. Find a way to make it work...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I guess I just find it weird that they would promote these as MTB shorts and put a lining in them with no padding. Either pad them or don't put a lining in at all so you can wear a padded liner underneath...

Though it does have a very pretty pink lycra lining inside. I bet none of you guys have that! ;)

BackLoafRiver

I guess I just find it weird that they would promote these as MTB shorts and put a lining in them with no padding. Either pad them or don't put a lining in at all so you can wear a padded liner underneath...

Though it does have a very pretty pink lycra lining inside. I bet none of you guys have that! ;)

Mine is just plain pink...not pretty pink :cry: I got robbed.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Shorts like that are probably geared more toward the downhill/park crowd who don't often use their saddle for sitting on so don't want or need the bulk of a padded chamois, but do want a form fitting liner to keep things in place or to wick sweat.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Shorts like that are probably geared more toward the downhill/park crowd who don't often use their saddle for sitting on so don't want or need the bulk of a padded chamois, but do want a form fitting liner to keep things in place or to wick sweat.
I have another pair of their shorts that are marketed as "downhill" and those have a mesh liner. But these were sold as "mountain bike" instead. Good point though. (Though women don't have to worry about keeping things in place so much, Marc... ;) These are women's shorts.)

bvibert

Staff member
I didn't think the liner in the shorts was that tight? I'd still try to wear padded liner shorts underneath.

started riding with padded baggy mtb shorts last year...it took a while to get used to the feel of the 'built-in underwear', but it was much easier on the anatomy for sho

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I always wear just nylon/lycra tighties. They are the most comfortable and by far the most utilitarian. I tried a pair of the baggy's..and first time I needed to get my ass out of the saddle on a roller, the baggy crotch got caught on the nose of the saddle I did a header. I've got good legs and am secure in my masculinity...I have no problem showing them off in some tight black biking shorts. :-D:-D

Grassi21

I bought a pair of armored shorts last season. I have yet to wear them on a ride. My other shorts are padded.

wa-loaf

Padded.

Cut the liner out and then wear your own underneath.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Padded.

Cut the liner out and then wear your own underneath.
Good idea! I tried wearing my padded liner shorts underneath today and Whew! Hot and uncomfortable! Bye, bye pretty pink lining! At least the pink pinstripes and flower on the back pocket will still be there... :lol: