• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WH Rez loses suit for $2.9 million...

rueler

REALLY!!! If I read this article correctly, it said that SHE ran into a GATE with her bike. How is that MDC's fault. They essentially awarded her money for "pilot error"... I'm sure that there is much more to it than that...but, I worry that lawsuits like this WILL have an impact on future access rights...not just at WH res. either!!! Other sites/land managers will hear this news and think twice before granting access and possibly causing their employer serious money.

RENO

That's a ridiculous lawsuit! She hit a gate? What an idiot! Had to be a large gate too to stop cars, trucks, atv's, etc...

bvibert

Staff member
Someone on another site said that she tried to duck under a gate, instead of riding around it, and that's when the injury occurred. Without more details it definitely sounds like pilot error and a frivolous lawsuit, apparently the jury disagreed. The only way I could see this being even somewhat valid is if the MDC had camouflaged the gate so that one couldn't see it until it was too late, or something along those lines. I seriously doubt that was the case.

And yes, shit like this will just make it harder on mountain biking anywhere. People who sue property owners for mountain bike accidents should be shot, it's just as bad as those who sue ski areas. :roll:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Ridiculous! Can't believe the jury found MDC even partially at fault for that! There are access ways around the gates--she's the moron who thought she could duck it! :mad:

TheBEast

Wow is about all I can say. Obviously more to the story. Just sad that things like this have to ruin it for everyone.

drjeff

This has to be the biggest WTF part of the article IMHO

"It took eight years to resolve the case because of a dispute about whether the MDC was immune from responsibility, Stratton said. After a four-day trial before Judge Edward Domnarski, the jury decided the authority was not immune in this instance, and also found that Blonski was partially responsible."

Imagine what the award would have been if the jury thought she wasn't responsible at all :mad: :smash: :mad:

skidmarks

Lawyer wins 2.9 million

This is not good news. Her lawyer wins 2.9 million is what the article should say. Must be more to the story but I agree unless the gate was painted in camo or motion activated no one is at fault.

Didn't she have insurance?

skidmarks

Better than Lotto

What a case for Tort reform! This lawyer is going to make another bundle. I still would like to know what was wrong with the gate.

drjeff

Saw that article yesterday - atleast the guy who wrote that REALLY called out the *cough*victim*cough* for what she appears to be! Somehow I bet that he also has a version of that article with a bunch of words that the Courrant COULDN'T print!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wow. :eek: This smacks of the same bull crap we see in the ski industry. I don't mountain bike myself, but how do you ride right into a gate? It might as well have been a tree or a granite cliff face. Mountain biking by definition is all about riding with obstacles and either avoiding them or riding them. Even more scary is that article suggests the rider is an "experienced mountain biker" -- you might expect this type of thing from someone that is inexperienced but experienced people usually know and accept the risks. Wonder how she will feel knowing that she shut the place down for other riders? :eek: I hope this gets resolved for you guys! Hate seeing this type of thing.

bvibert

Staff member
It does really suck, and echos what goes on in the ski industry. I fear that not only will this suit result in the closure of the Rez to mountain bikers (and perhaps all others), but that it will also affect access in other areas.