• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cold Weather Gear?

Greg

Staff member
All right. Seeing as it's so cold, if you plan to go skiing this week/weekend, what will you be wearing? I'm more than likely going to head to the Berks on Saturday. My setup will include:
  • Fleece hat - pretty thick and covers ears and neck well
  • Goggles (duh)
  • Facemask - until the frozen snot/breath buildup is too much to take; I'll then rely on the winter beard I've got going ;)
  • Maybe a wool scarf or turtle
  • Synthetic long-sleeve
  • Thin wool sweater
  • My old Columbia parka with hood
  • Synthetic long underwear
  • Ski pants
  • Synthetic socks (I wear pretty thick socks usually)
  • Probably my KevGloves
I'm a warm skier so this probably will suffice. What cold weather ski gear do you have that keeps you really warm that you're very happy with?

skijay

I will be skiing at BB on Saturday. For Cold weather:

Gortex mittens, no gloves!
possibly a hand warmer or two.

Basically the same stuff you mentioned.

ChileMass

Hand warmers for sure - ! No mask for me - too claustrophobic, and when I'm making turns I really don't notice my face too much.

J

jlangdale

I'm all good. Only issue for me this weekend will be to wear the helmet or not. I'm thinking I may revert back to a nice warm hooded hat with my neck warmer and mask.

Greg

Staff member
skijay said:
I will be skiing at BB on Saturday. For Cold weather:

Gortex mittens, no gloves!
possibly a hand warmer or two.
Handwarmers! I got some in my stocking this Christmas! This is a good chance to try them (never have).

So skijay, does BB=Butternut Basin? That's where I'll most likely go. As for the gloves, this weekend should be a good chance to really put the KevGloves to the test.

skijay

Yes, BB would be Butternut. I am going to go in the AM.

Greg

Staff member
skijay said:
Yes, BB would be Butternut. I am going to go in the AM.
Likewise. Look for me. Dark green/black parka, black pants, yellow/silver K2 Axis X Pro skis...

tree_skier

When it's really cold (like the next few days are supposed to be) I break out a pair fo down mittens, add a pair of long jons and fleece shorts to my normal leg wear, go to my heavier fleece shirt and add a down vest, put up my hood.

At times I throw handwarmers into the mittens.

I also hate masks and stick with the enclosure from the hood.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i'll be using the same set up i always wear: poly-base short sleeve T, poly-based long sleeve T, long johns, ski socks, ski pants, glove liners, gloves, goggles, and neck gaitor. oh yea, and my parka :wink:

i'll opt for a hat instead of my helmet for sure. my hat is so much warmer and has better coverage. can get zero skin exposure with this set up which is what matters in the cold. i MIGHT wear a fleece instead of long sleeve T if it's really cold. i think i'll be fine though.

skijay

I will be at Butternut wearing a gray parka, black ski pants, salomon snowblades (red,white and blue).

Greg

Staff member
I'm still debating. Great Barrington will see -9*F tonight and it may only reach 8*F for a high tomorrow. That along with 15 MPH winds may make for a not so pleasant experience. You may not see 0*F until late morning....

jimme

You asked, Greg! :wink: From head to toe:

Helmet
Baclava
Lip Balm
Goggles
Gloves, with Mittens in the backpack just in case
Neck Gaitor in backpack

Poly thermal layer (Byrnje)
Fleece shirt
Fleece jacket
Jacket Shell
Soft vest in backpack

Poly thermal layer
Bohn Pants* (older skiers-> www.bohnski.com)
Insulated ski pants

Medium Ski socks
ThermIC footwarmers**

With all this stuff, I expect to be very warm. :beer:

Jimme

* Got a pair of these after a fall on blue ice. These are the nuts! Put them on, and if you fall, you bounce like an 18 yr old.

** Not a luxury for me due to having had 2nd degree frostbite on both feet. My toes get cold swimming in the summer so the toe warmers really help ou., If your toes tend to get cold, they are sweet.

Greg

Staff member
jimme said:

* Got a pair of these after a fall on blue ice. These are the nuts! Put them on, and if you fall, you bounce like an 18 yr old.
Wow. $139. For that price, you can just chow down on a bunch of chicken wings to fatten up the back side... :p

jimme

Greg said:
jimme said:

Wow. $139. For that price, you can just chow down on a bunch of chicken wings to fatten up the back side... :p

Sick, isn't it? I guess that if you can't sew them yourself you have to pay the price. All they really are are poly pants with some large pockets sewn in. Not even a zipper. Then they add the foam pieces.

But, I've fallen with them on a few times and the differance as opposed to hitting hardpack with your hip makes the price more acceptable.

Gotta ski!!!

Jimme

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
I'm still debating. Great Barrington will see -9*F tonight and it may only reach 8*F for a high tomorrow. That along with 15 MPH winds may make for a not so pleasant experience. You may not see 0*F until late morning....
We're gonna bag it tomorrow. I don't think it's gonna be worth it. Please post a report, skijay, if you go. Stay warm (and safe)!

curlyfuzzie

Between the Catskill and Adirondack Parks
Too cold to ski???

:lol: sorry, can't resist...
chicken+pussy.jpg

I'm heading out with my nordic undies, turtleneck, neck gaitor, down mitties with finger warmers, toe warmers in the boots, goggles and hat - Oh, yeah... ski bib and jacket... :roll: Wheeooo- got the trail all to myself - :D

O

oldhippie

Staying warm

I have these Lextrix gloves that a AA fits in, and I have the Dalbello boots with the Thermic IC electric heaters.

That plus wool hat, silk long johns, my Montant sweater, ski pants and my Obermayer jacket.

I'll be toasty.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
You asked so here I go,

Underarmor spandex shirt
Patagonia capilene
REI Nordic Jacket
LLBean Gor Tex shell
Smartwool light Socks
Underarmor spandex pants
EMS Bergelene pants
Knee Brace
EMS Gor Tex pants
Helmet
Balaklva
Lobster mitten glove things
A mitten shell over the lobster gloves
Goggles, because my eyelashes tend to freeze, otherwise im not a fan of goggles
Lip Stuff that keeps frost bite away, I rub it on my ears and nose too
and thats all

M

mattfishng

Helmet,balaclava,face mask,long sleeve polypropalene,turtle neck,fleece and the warmest snowboard jacket I havePolypropalene long under wear,long leg stretch running pants over that and heavy snowboard pants. thin poly sox and gore tex gloves. Rather overdress than be cold