hiking in flip flops?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

VT & Harlem NYC, but I am from California

hiking in flip flops?

Ok this is a stupid thread I admit.

But does anyone but me like to hike in flip flops.

I did Haystack Mountain last weekend and wore flip flops and got a number of concerned comments from fellow hikers.

I have also hiked Mt. Monadonock in flip flops and gotten similar comments.

I think it's great, very comfortable, am I the only one?

No I don't. Not even Tevas or Keens. Not a good idea. Sorry.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I've hiked in Tevas, but that was a long time ago. I suppose if you want to go archaeological, it's probably better for you because feet weren't designed to be contained in shoes anyway. And there is a movement now for barefoot running. On the other hand, how do you get a good footing/grip on the rockier stuff?
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

dumb idea, sorry. too easy to get hurt with open toed shoes in the mountains.

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by arik View Post

Yes. Especially for a "hike". I mean its one thing if its on a smooth, non-technical walking path in the woods...but once a real hike is involved....I agree with everyone else above....bad idea...at least IMHO.

To be honest, if we are talking about a hike up a 4,000 footer, and I am carrying even a daypack, I always reach for my Asolo 520 full hiking boots. Sneakers or "low cut" approach shoes are still not a good idea because of the lack of ankle support.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Open toe is not a good idea when hiking any where there is exposed rock, root, or other such potentially painful and injury causing topographical features. Keen and Teva make "open" hiking shoes with closed/ruberized toe. If you want to have open feet without socks, that would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    "low cut" approach shoes are still not a good idea because of the lack of ankle support.
    I have hiked with low cut hiking shoes for as long as I have been hiking and have had no issues. Plenty of support. Even for lugging ski gear up to Tucks. This is all personal preference based on individual physiology. Lack of ankle support is not an issue for many hikers. I actually value lateral movement when hiking. Trail runners would also would not wear boots.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Lack of ankle support is not an issue for many hikers. I actually value lateral movement when hiking. Trail runners would also would not wear boots.
    I come from a family of strong ankles..

Thanks for reminding me - I wanted to get a trail run in tonight...
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    I have hiked with low cut hiking shoes for as long as I have been hiking and have had no issues. Plenty of support. Even for lugging ski gear up to Tucks. This is all personal preference based on individual physiology. Lack of ankle support is not an issue for many hikers. I actually value lateral movement when hiking. Trail runners would also would not wear boots.
    I don't hike in flip flops (dislike them altogether). However, I don't care for all that talk about "ankle support", especially when not involving a full pack.

My ankles are a lot stronger than the "support" that came with the boots. (I also have a small frame so my body don't put that much weight on my feet) As a kid, I did a lot of running and jumping games. So my ankles were trained to be flexible and strong. Never understand why one "need" ankle support.

It's only when I'm wearing a full pack (which I don't do much any more), that I found my ankle gets tired from the extra weight it has to handle.

Open toe is not a good idea when hiking any where there is exposed rock, root, or other such potentially painful and injury causing topographical features. Keen and Teva make "open" hiking shoes with closed/ruberized toe. If you want to have open feet without socks, that would be the way to go.
    Painful, yes. Injury, unlikely. (unless you're talking about bruised toe nails)

Quote Originally Posted by arik View Post

But does anyone but me like to hike in flip flops.

I did Haystack Mountain last weekend and wore flip flops and got a number of concerned comments from fellow hikers.

I have also hiked Mt. Monadonock in flip flops and gotten similar comments.

I do hikes in my Tivas... I don't care what other people think..
    I also do hikes in hiking boots...
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Thread Information