• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Testing cam

J

jlangdale

Well, I got my iSight webcam working. Just need to find a better spot to point it at. Currently at my skylight where you can watch the time lapse of the snow melting from my roof (likely to take a while with the cold). If I can get a longer firewire cable I can put in by the window better.

http://www.assemblance.net/~jonl/webcam.jpg
http://www.assemblance.net/~jonl/webcam
webcam.jpg

Greg

Staff member
So what are we looking at? Is this a live image? Will it update on the fly or do you need to refresh it?

J

jlangdale

It is suppose to update every minute and when motion is detected. I'm still testing it. The motion detection works great not sure the refresh timer is working with that motion too, but it is set to. Can be set to just timer.

It's just a few out my skylight. If I could mount it on the side of the sky light it could see sugarbush but not with snow in the way. Also need a longer cable and I'm not sure they make longer firewire cables.

Ah needs to be set to timer, then optionally motion. Works now. Set to timer to 5 minutes and motion will go immediately. I'll see about putting it in a better spot.

Greg

Staff member
I like the date/timestamp!

J

jlangdale

Yea it's pretty spiffy software, EvoCam. Smalldog Mac store has a 15' firewire cable I think, I may stop by and pickup on a longer one.

Btw, the snow is metling. Our heat went out and the heater guy just fixed it so it should start melting good during the day with the sun out. I'm going to make a quicktime from the time lapse later. It will be neat to see the front lawn snow melt over time too once I can get a better spot to point the camera.

Greg

Staff member
jlangdale said:
Smalldog Mac store has a 15' firewire cable I think, I may stop by and pickup on a longer one.
Yeah a full outside view would be much cooler (colder?)...

J

jlangdale

Turned it off. Sun coming down through skylight and will damage the CCD. Need to get new cable.

Greg

Staff member
Nice looking day out today, but your camera is doing some funky thing...

J

jlangdale

I noticed that too. Might be bad or something with the settings. Weird. I took all the webcam archive pics and did a quicktime of the timelapse. It looks way cool. I still need to figure a better spot of the mountain somehow. I just don't want to move my computer.

It's probably the new cable. Firewire doesn't like length.

Greg

Staff member
jlangdale said:
I took all the webcam archive pics and did a quicktime of the timelapse. It looks way cool.
Gonna share? :)

J

jlangdale

I didn't save it, just pulled the image sequence in. It was huge. There's a lot of black stills in it because at night the motion detection got more sensitive. But the sunrise and sunset with the clouds and sun rolling are way spiff. I wish I could mount the cam on a tree way high so I could get Sugarbush on it. But I'm just not that insane, not to mention it's like -20 below out. They are saying potential -45 wind chill tonight.

I'll get some timelapse out in web viewable quicktime sometime.