• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunters 6-pack Progress

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I was by on Sunday............looked from the base like they haven't done anything:-o Not to fret, I was there watching when they built the guad, the towers went up quick (with the help of a "skycrane" helicopter). Just surprized that the quadbase is still there.

drewfidelic

From the photos posted on the Hunter blog, the summit terminal is out:

summitterminal.jpg

http://huntermtn.blogspot.com/2010/06/lift-construction-project-update.html
________
Honda ev plus specifications

Last edited:

dmc

I was looking up there today - looks like a bunch of towers in the middle are down...

I'll get over there at some point and take some pix... Just a bit busy with work and stuff..

drjeff

I was by on Sunday............looked from the base like they haven't done anything:-o Not to fret, I was there watching when they built the guad, the towers went up quick (with the help of a "skycrane" helicopter). Just surprized that the quadbase is still there.

The demo usually seems like it takes forever (same thing with pouring the footings for the base/top terminals and the tower) since the vast majority of the time, it's all done with ground based equipment (cranes, excavators, backhoes, etc) and it's not always easy or quick to get the equipment upto the site. Then, once all the prep work is done, and the helicopter shows up to fly in the towers (and usually a good part of the top terminal) it seems like the project goes from "taking forever" to "practically complete" in a matter of a couple of hours. And with what it costs per hour for one of those helicopters, most resorts/lift manufacturers will try their best to save a bunch of $$ and do the demo work/footings work without the use of a helicopter.

JimG.

Staff member
I heard that they're pulling out the old lift and putting a 6-pack of Corona at the summit to inspire skiers to hike up.

Or maybe not.

dmc

I heard that they're pulling out the old lift and putting a 6-pack of Corona at the summit to inspire skiers to hike up.

Or maybe not.

Your going to have to do better then Corona... I carry better beer in my pack... :)

dmc

Beer snob.

If it meant I could ski I would hike up for a 6 pack of Bud.

I know, pretty horrifying.

Totally.. Although I had a Bud Light the other day in the Airport Lounge.. it sucked..
I like Boddingtons in a can for the "sweet reward"

millerm277

Has a six-pack lift ever gotten good reviews? Seems like everyone complains afterward.

They are supposed to be (and based on personal observation, seem to actually be), much better in high wind. This alone, would make the difference for Hunter, in my opinion....the main liftline gets some of the nastiest winds I've seen, especially on the upper section.

dmc

Anyone know if Hunter's new HSS is going to come with an automatic down safety bar?

It took a few weeks but this new automatic safety bar claimed its first victim in Queenstown, NZ.

http://www.scene.co.nz/ski-mums-hell/271077a1.page

I think it is supposed to have one... holy crap... I bettter go find another mountain to ski... I surely do not want to get killed.

What are they thinking...

speden

That automatic safety bar sounds almost comical. It would be like having elevator doors that chop off arms and legs instead of re-opening.

dmc

That automatic safety bar sounds almost comical. It would be like having elevator doors that chop off arms and legs instead of re-opening.

yeah.... hunter should just close... :)

I got my leg stuck in a gondola door in Kashmir.. Wasn't pleasant - had to hang my boot out the door the whole ride..