• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you ride?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I've never used egg beaters or time's before. I just couldn't get myself to spend over $100 for a pair of pedals.

On my current setup I use these shimano's:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=8552

that I picked up on clearance for about $40. I've used Look's, Wellgo's SPD and Ritchey's SPD and none of those come close to this. I've never had a problem with mud, never been out in ice and snow with them, but I've been in a lot of mud, deep mud and they perform without issue. They are also super easy to get into, much easier than the older SPD designs I've used.

The best pedal for that kind of money, IMHO.

djspookman

marcski said:
Dave: What's the difference between yours and the eggbeaters. My shimano's got so iced over the other day..never happened that bad before, even though I rode in snow. Plus, I just like the simple, less is more design.

marcski:

Eggbeaters: (with cage)
EGGBEATER.jpg

Time Atacs:
ATAC.gif

They are a very similar design, but I guess it all depends on personal preferance and weight! I think the eggbeaters are lighter if that makes a difference to you.

dave

skibum1321

Aren't those the Candy pedals? I thought the eggbeaters didn't have the outer platform. If that isn't the difference then what is the difference between the Crankbrothers Candy and Eggbeater?

djspookman

skibum1321 said:
Aren't those the Candy pedals? I thought the eggbeaters didn't have the outer platform. If that isn't the difference then what is the difference between the Crankbrothers Candy and Eggbeater?

The candy's are the eggbeaters with a cage.

dave

djspookman

marcski said:
Thanks, Dave...

I think i'd go cageless no platform. I should try to find a buddy with them so i can try them out..its not so easy to demo pedals...

yeah, the cageless design is definately lighter and cleaner looking. I'm clumsly so the cages on the atacs work great for me!

dave

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm riding a 2005 Kona Dawg Dee-Lux. I really like it, its my first fs ride. I ride quite often. 4-6 days a week. (1-2 in the colder months). Love the ride. 30 lbs or so but climbs like a billygoat. I do get some brake rub on the hayes brakes. Thinking of perhaps switching them out. I don't really notice it while riding, but its in the back of my head.

Some mods on my mind to perform over time are: Better (lighter and perhaps tubeless) wheels, new pedals (as my above posts indicated) and a bash guard instead of the third chain ring oh and perhaps swapping out the hayes disc brakes.

nek_crumudgeon

On Crank Bros. Pedals - I love them, especially the Candy's pictured above, but there have been problems with durability. The eggbeaters are similar, yes, but the lack of platform wreaks havoc on the bottom of shoes and can cause hot foot.

Rides: Trek Fuel 98/new XTR
Fisher Rig 29er
Full custom Ramblumtick Cross Bike w/ Dura Ace
Trek OCLV USPS w/ Dura Ace

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
nek_crumudgeon said:
On Crank Bros. Pedals - I love them, especially the Candy's pictured above, but there have been problems with durability. The eggbeaters are similar, yes, but the lack of platform wreaks havoc on the bottom of shoes and can cause hot foot.

Fisher Rig 29er

Wow man. You've got a lot of money in your bikes. How do you like the 29er? Do you use front suspension on it?

skibum1321

nek_crumudgeon said:

Fisher Rig 29er
I have heard only good things about the Eggbeaters. Has hot foot actually been a problem for you because in the reviews I haven't seen anything about it. I'm leaning towards the Eggbeaters for my next bike as opposed to the Candys because of all of the issues I've read about with the platform of the Candys.

nek_crumudgeon

ski bum: I've had both and the candy's have held up better, especially banging around in the roots and rocks. Ultimately what happens, though, is that you pop the outboard bearing on the 'beaters easier. I'm not sure why. I didn't get hotfoot with the 'beaters, but I also have super stiff Sidi shoes that eliminate that problem. If you have non-carbon soled shoes, it's a possibliblity that you'll have an aching arch.

nek_crumudgeon

Marc - I enjoy the 29er, but I haven't really ridden it in single track yet. It has a stock Reba on it. I'm a big believer in Rock Shox upper-mid range forks versus the high end stuff, so it seems to do the trick right now. It's a bit pokey on acceleration, I've noticed.

nek_crumudgeon

Marc -

Not really. The cross bike is straight bladed rigid and I ride that anywhere on the KT that my other bikes go. It was custom built by an old college roomate who built the rear out of mountain bike tubing to stiffen it up and he made the tire clearance HUGE, so I can run the 700c equivalent of a 1.95 or 45c tire.

In my mind, the 29er works somewhere between the cross bike and the Fuel, depending on trail conditions/mood/etc.

SKIQUATTRO

hey,,,,,another R3000 owner!!!! i love my R3000......got a steal on it last spring....

eatskisleep

2003 Specialized Big Hit Expert set-up for DH with a Shiver DC Front fork and a Avy rear shock.

2001 Haro BMX Dave Mirra Flair Pro.

2002 K2 Zed 1.0 XC Hardtail Bike

2003 K2 Attack 1.0 All Around Full Suspension Bike

2003 KTM 125SX Dirtbike with engine

Soon to come a new hardtail...

Max

2004 Cannondale Ironman 2000, here with a friend of mine. Matching bikes!!!