What do you ride? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I've never used egg beaters or time's before. I just couldn't get myself to spend over $100 for a pair of pedals.

On my current setup I use these shimano's:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=8552

that I picked up on clearance for about $40. I've used Look's, Wellgo's SPD and Ritchey's SPD and none of those come close to this. I've never had a problem with mud, never been out in ice and snow with them, but I've been in a lot of mud, deep mud and they perform without issue. They are also super easy to get into, much easier than the older SPD designs I've used.

The best pedal for that kind of money, IMHO.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by marcski
    Dave: What's the difference between yours and the eggbeaters. My shimano's got so iced over the other day..never happened that bad before, even though I rode in snow. Plus, I just like the simple, less is more design.
    marcski:

Eggbeaters: (with cage)

Time Atacs:

They are a very similar design, but I guess it all depends on personal preferance and weight! I think the eggbeaters are lighter if that makes a difference to you.

dave

Aren't those the Candy pedals? I thought the eggbeaters didn't have the outer platform. If that isn't the difference then what is the difference between the Crankbrothers Candy and Eggbeater?
    Fear should be treated like fire - it's a good thing that can keep you warm but it can also burn down the house

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321
    Aren't those the Candy pedals? I thought the eggbeaters didn't have the outer platform. If that isn't the difference then what is the difference between the Crankbrothers Candy and Eggbeater?
    The candy's are the eggbeaters with a cage.

dave

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Thanks, Dave...

I think i'd go cageless no platform. I should try to find a buddy with them so i can try them out..its not so easy to demo pedals...

Quote Originally Posted by marcski
    Thanks, Dave...

I think i'd go cageless no platform. I should try to find a buddy with them so i can try them out..its not so easy to demo pedals...
    yeah, the cageless design is definately lighter and cleaner looking. I'm clumsly so the cages on the atacs work great for me!

dave

03 rocky slayer w/ Zoke All Mtn 1

I just bought an '05 Specialized Rockhopper. I can't wait to pick it up on Saturday. Hopefully the weather holds out so I can try it out with my wife and her new Hardrock.
    Brian

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    I'm riding a 2005 Kona Dawg Dee-Lux. I really like it, its my first fs ride. I ride quite often. 4-6 days a week. (1-2 in the colder months). Love the ride. 30 lbs or so but climbs like a billygoat. I do get some brake rub on the hayes brakes. Thinking of perhaps switching them out. I don't really notice it while riding, but its in the back of my head.

Some mods on my mind to perform over time are: Better (lighter and perhaps tubeless) wheels, new pedals (as my above posts indicated) and a bash guard instead of the third chain ring oh and perhaps swapping out the hayes disc brakes.

On Crank Bros. Pedals - I love them, especially the Candy's pictured above, but there have been problems with durability. The eggbeaters are similar, yes, but the lack of platform wreaks havoc on the bottom of shoes and can cause hot foot.

Rides: Trek Fuel 98/new XTR
    Fisher Rig 29er
    Full custom Ramblumtick Cross Bike w/ Dura Ace
    Trek OCLV USPS w/ Dura Ace

Thread Information