• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you ride?

Trekchick

Nice Bump Severine!
HT 2004 Trek 4900
FS 2005 Trek Liquid
n830505017_2998878_6065.jpg

wa-loaf

Mine's old but still in good shape. A 97 Specialized Stumpjumper M2. Mix of Shimano LX and XT with a RockShox Judy.

Philpug

Nice Bump Severine!
HT 2004 Trek 4900
FS 2005 Trek Liquid
n830505017_2998878_6065.jpg
They are too clean to be real mountain bikes. Must be a poseur.
Mine's old but still in good shape. A 97 Specialized Stumpjumper M2. Mix of Shimano LX and XT with a RockShox Judy.

I had a M2 Pro (Lt Blue one), full XT and a Judy, that was such a sweet bike.

o3jeff

bvibert, do you still have your 05 Rockhopper? I have the same bike(silver) and was wondering if you have looked into upgrading the brakes to disc on it on how hard it is or if it can be done. When I bought the bike I figured I really didn't need them, but now I regret not getting them.

MR. evil

bvibert, do you still have your 05 Rockhopper? I have the same bike(silver) and was wondering if you have looked into upgrading the brakes to disc on it on how hard it is or if it can be done. When I bought the bike I figured I really didn't need them, but now I regret not getting them.

As long as the bike frame (rear) anf fork have mounts for disc brake you can upgrade. No familiar with the bike, but most bikes & forks made in the last 5 years have the mounts for dics brakes.

Not only will you have to buy brakes, but you will also need to buy new wheels or re-build your existing ones. If you re-build them you will need to buy new disc brake compatible hubs, new heavier guage spokes and nipples. You will also need to pay someone to build the wheel. It is not something you can do yourself with out training. Wheel building is an art. The parts and labor to re-built 2 wheels could easily run from $150 to $250 depending on the hubs you purchase. I might be the same cost or cheaper to buy 2 new disc compatible wheels. The wheels (re-build or new) plus the cost of the brakes could put you around $$250 to $350 if not more. That is almost 1/3 the cost of a brand new rock hopper with disc brakes. I would save that money and put it towards a new bike next season or the season after.

FWIW - I am looking to get a new fork for my bike with a thru axle that will require me to have my front tire re-built. A lower end hub is going to run me about $50 online, another $10 for the spokes and nipples, and about $50 for the labor. And $50 for labor to build a wheel is pretty cheap, most shops charge more. So this is going to $110 just to have one wheel re-built.

o3jeff

Thanks for the info Mr.evil, I guess I will learn to like what I have for now since the upgrade isn't as easy as I thought it might be and not worth the cost.

Greg

Staff member
Where do you ride, Jeff? We should head out sometime. Steve and I and maybe Tim are trying to get something going Sunday morning in Meriden.

o3jeff

Recently I've just been cruising the neighborhood or the w/hart res. But in the past I used to go up top of Mount Southington there are a bunch of reservoirs up there along the Wolcott line, but haven't been up there in years and they have built quite a few home up were we would cut through. One of these days I am going to have to go up there to check it out.

Would be interested to see were Steve goes as I have never been biking up that end of town.

Greg

Staff member
Would be interested to see were Steve goes as I have never been biking up that end of town.

[post="271524"]Join us![/post]

I suck though as I'm only recently getting back into MTBing.

o3jeff

[post="271524"]Join us![/post]

I suck though as I'm only recently getting back into MTBing.

Don't worry, I can guaranty you I am no better. If you guys are going to be riding and hopping rocks like the video that cbcbd posted over in the suspension thread, bring the video cam cause I certainly can't do any of that and there is bound to be some good falls if I try:-D

I guess you guys will be ironing out the details on this ride tomorrow.

Greg

Staff member
Don't worry, I can guaranty you I am no better. If you guys are going to be riding and hopping rocks like the video that cbcbd posted over in the suspension thread, bring the video cam cause I certainly can't do any of that and there is bound to be some good falls if I try:-D

I guess you guys will be ironing out the details on this ride tomorrow.

Put it this way. I rode for about 3 years in the mid 90's and have had two one hour rides on doubletrack since then. So....yeah, I suck. Sounds like MR evil and pow are the mad steezy riders.

An AZ MTB vid? :idea: Yeah, we'll pin it all down tomorrow. Should be fun!

Moe Ghoul

Recently I've just been cruising the neighborhood or the w/hart res. But in the past I used to go up top of Mount Southington there are a bunch of reservoirs up there along the Wolcott line, but haven't been up there in years and they have built quite a few home up were we would cut through. One of these days I am going to have to go up there to check it out.

West hartford res on Farmington Ave? I used to live a half mile from there on Gin Still Lane. Spent a lot of time running and playing frisbee there in HS. Wow, Moe's having flashbacks now! Miller lite, blackberry brandy, Zeppelin and the Outlaws. What ever happened to the Outlaws? Might be time for a reunion tour.....Steezy.

Greg

Staff member
Okay - so here's a thread to get things started. What are you pedaling?

I have an old Trek 930 circa 1995 and a 2005 Jamis Cross Country 1.0.
Cleaned up both bikes today. Here they are:

1995 Trek 930
IMG_5491.jpg

2005 Jamis XC 1.0
IMG_5490.jpg

MR. evil

So....yeah, I suck. Sounds like MR evil and pow are the mad steezy riders.
!

I can't speak for pow, but I would describe my riding that way. Somethings I can do well, others not as well. I just have a blast riding.

MR. evil

Cleaned up both bikes today. Here they are:

2005 Jamis XC 1.0
IMG_5490.jpg

OMG, from the angle of the picture the seat on your bike looks huge:-o

I would consider getting a slimmer saddle and some padded riding shorts. Big comfy seats just get in the way and hinder pedaling