• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you ride?

Greg

Staff member
F you guys. That sucker is comfy. I farted around the neighborhood on my old Trek and that seat which is probably more tech is brutal on the taint. :lol:

F you guys. That sucker is comfy. I farted around the neighborhood on my old Trek and that seat which is probably more tech is brutal on the taint. :lol:

One of the reasons I don't bike ride..If I ever get a mountain bike..it's going to have a really nice seat..no wedgie taint abuser..

MR. evil

Greg,
On a long ride that fat seat will cuase more problems than good. Can you say Chafe :-o

Norrower saddles are uncomfortable by themselves, but that is why you also wear padded riding shorts. You can either buy baggy padded riding shorts which are expensive. Or get a cheap pair of padded lycra riding shorts and wear baggy shorts over them like I do.

Greg

Staff member
Greg,
On a long ride that fat seat will cuase more problems than good. Can you say Chafe :-o

Norrower saddles are uncomfortable by themselves, but that is why you also wear padded riding shorts. You can either buy baggy padded riding shorts which are expensive. Or get a cheap pair of padded lycra riding shorts and wear baggy shorts over them like I do.

Thanks for the advice. That was the seat that came on the bike. We'll see how tomorrow goes (you are coming, aren't you?) which will be my longest and sounds like my most technical ride on that bike, and in over ten tears. As you know, I'm still working into this.

cbcbd

I rarely wear my padded shorts while riding the mtb anymore. My saddle ain't plush like Greg's but its got plenty of cushion for a whole day riding. My road bike, on the other hand... no way I'd last more than 10 minutes without some padding.

roark

You can either buy baggy padded riding shorts which are expensive. Or get a cheap pair of padded lycra riding shorts and wear baggy shorts over them like I do.

I've heard of people stuffing diapers in their shorts for extra padding...:blink:

bvibert

Staff member
bvibert, do you still have your 05 Rockhopper? I have the same bike(silver) and was wondering if you have looked into upgrading the brakes to disc on it on how hard it is or if it can be done. When I bought the bike I figured I really didn't need them, but now I regret not getting them.

Yes, I still have it and yes it could be converted to disk brakes. I've looked into it and came to the same determination that Mr. Evil posted. It's just not worth it.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Road bike is a 2-year-old Specialized Roubaix Elite all-carbon. Love that thing.
Don't have a real mountain bike; I use my old commuting bike, a Gary Fischer Presidio, on single track and carriage roads.
I was entirely ready to start riding this week to work, but with these temperatures I'm holding off, given it's 17 miles each way.

awf170

My bike = the sweetness factory.

• 21 speeds. 2 of which actually work. (Rear shifting is completely broken)
  • Clipless peddles for which I don't actually have clipless shoes.
  • A rear brake that occasionally rubs because the back rim is slightly warped.
IMG_0345_2_.jpg

And that's not even the best part! Here is how I "fixed" the gears so it stays in the ring I want it to.
IMG_0346.jpg

You can't deny its awesomeness...

Greg

Staff member
Gotta be tough to ride with only one wheel. I never knew you were a unicyclist too among all your other talents...

powhunter

Ive been on a gary fischer joshua2 XC bike for about 5 years...nearly everything has been replaced except the main frame and rear shock....hopefully Ill get another year or so out of it

steve

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yes, I still have it and yes it could be converted to disk brakes. I've looked into it and came to the same determination that Mr. Evil posted. It's just not worth it.

Did you look at avid mechanical disc brakes?

They are SO worth it, believe me when I tell you. Never having to toe in brake pads again alone makes it worth it. But their performance in mud and wet is unbeatable.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
My bike = the sweetness factory.

• 21 speeds. 2 of which actually work. (Rear shifting is completely broken)
  • Clipless peddles for which I don't actually have clipless shoes.
  • A rear brake that occasionally rubs because the back rim is slightly warped.
IMG_0345_2_.jpg

And that's not even the best part! Here is how I "fixed" the gears so it stays in the ring I want it to.
IMG_0346.jpg

You can't deny its awesomeness...

Teh hotness. Dude. Just. Dude.

We can probably adjust your brakes and true your rim so you don't have brake rub. What exactly broke on the rear shifting?

awf170

Teh hotness. Dude. Just. Dude.

We can probably adjust your brakes and true your rim so you don't have brake rub.

Nah, the rub is the way to go. Keeps my speed in check. ;-)

What exactly broke on the rear shifting?

I dunno, it just only works like 10% of the time so I just gave up and stuck it in the gear I most commonly use. I just tell myself that some people actually buy two speed bikes so my bike is just fine. :dunce:

It's too small for me too. I forgot about that. So yes it's teh hotness.

This bike would make Neuman proud.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Nah, the rub is the way to go. Keeps my speed in check. ;-)

I dunno, it just only works like 10% of the time so I just gave up and stuck it in the gear I most commonly use. I just tell myself that some people actually buy two speed bikes so my bike is just fine. :dunce:

It's too small for me too. I forgot about that. So yes it's teh hotness.

This bike would make Neuman proud.

Haha, it's actually probably in better condition than his. So ah, we can fix your shifting pretty easy too I bet. When was the last time that shift cable was cleaned and greased. Let me answer that for you. Never?

Just go to WalMart and by a new set of shift cables and we could probably get you using all your gears again pretty easily.

awf170

Haha, it's actually probably in better condition than his. So ah, we can fix your shifting pretty easy too I bet. When was the last time that shift cable was cleaned and greased. Let me answer that for you. Never?

Wrong. Only about 8 years ago.

Just go to WalMart and by a new set of shift cables and we could probably get you using all your gears again pretty easily.

Sweet, all the gears will probably confuse me though and make me actually worse. Just give me a couple more and I'll be good to go.