• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you ride?

cbcbd

Road - (1989?) Mangusta 7000 -- soon to be replaced
MTB - Rocky Mtn Slayer 50 - just placed order yesterday and very psyched

Doro

RIDEr said:
The Slayer is great. I had the opportunity with a local bike shop to demo it a couple of times and loved it, but wanted more bikes than paying the same price for one.

I agree but I have had some problems. I bought the slayer as good transfer bike from ht to fully. I have had the bike less than 2 months and already bent the frame. A very minimal bend but it goes to show if you do alot of fr than this is not the bike to choose. Overall I still love the bike but it will last me this season until I buy something a little beefier.

cbcbd

RIDEr said:
The Slayer is great. I had the opportunity with a local bike shop to demo it a couple of times and loved it, but wanted more bikes than paying the same price for one.
It's a great bike and since my old one was stolen last year it's about time for a new one. I got a pretty good deal on it, otherwise I would've gone for something else.

Doro said:
I agree but I have had some problems. I bought the slayer as good transfer bike from ht to fully. I have had the bike less than 2 months and already bent the frame. A very minimal bend but it goes to show if you do alot of fr than this is not the bike to choose. Overall I still love the bike but it will last me this season until I buy something a little beefier.
Wow, where in the frame did it bend? Before ordering the bike the only concerns that people I talked to had about Rocky Mtn was that the quality sometimes was hit or miss.
What size frame did you get? I spoke to our RM rep and right now they are sold out of their 15", I got the 16.5". The bike has been getting great reviews and I know at least 2 guys (bike techs) who placed orders and one co-worker that also wants to get one - I wonder if the pressure of higher sales affected their QC?
Since you got it recently I'd try getting in touch with them and seeing if they could do something for you - fix or replace. You'll probably have to wait a while, but it's worth a shot.

FunkE

I've also heard RM quality is hit or miss.

I currently ride an '05 Iron Horse Azure Comp with lots of upgrades. Love the DW Link suspension design and think it's probably the most efficient out there (Like it much better than Spec. VPP) I've had terrible luck with my rock shox rear shock and will be switching to a Cane Creek AD12 which thankfully lacks any kind of propedal type valving and is super linear and easy to work on.

Don't ride on the road anymore as I've already gone through 8 of my 9 roadie lives due to a few incidents with bad drivers.

I'll post some pics of the Azure one of these days.

I also do most of my riding in Chittenden county. Ride a lot at Sleepy Hollow, Mobbs Valley and race when I can at Catamount.

skibum1321

I was looking at getting the Iron Horse MKIII Expert. The DW Link is a killer design. I ended up going for the Giant Trance 2, which has the Maestro (basically a rip-off of the DW-Link).

bvibert

Staff member
skibum1321 said:
I was looking at getting the Iron Horse MKIII Expert. The DW Link is a killer design. I ended up going for the Giant Trance 2, which has the Maestro (basically a rip-off of the DW-Link).
Did you get the Trance yet?

skibum1321

It came in at the bike shop today but I'm heading to VT for the weekend so I'll be picking it up Monday. Hopefully the weather will be nice Tuesday and I'll be able to get out for a ride.

I also ordered some new tires for it today since I've heard that the Hutchinson Bulldogs that come stock are terrible tires. I'll be getting the Kenda Nevegals, which are supposed to be pretty good on wet roots and rocks.

skibum1321

Nothing is necessarily good on wet roots but there are tires that work better than others. I've heard good things about the Kenda Nevegals so I decided to give them a shot. I don't mind if the tire is a little heavy since I don't do any racing. It's always amazed me how people will complain about a few ounces extra on the frame and yet they could make it amazingly easier by losing 30 pounds of body fat.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
skibum1321 said:
Nothing is necessarily good on wet roots but there are tires that work better than others. I've heard good things about the Kenda Nevegals so I decided to give them a shot. I don't mind if the tire is a little heavy since I don't do any racing. It's always amazed me how people will complain about a few ounces extra on the frame and yet they could make it amazingly easier by losing 30 pounds of body fat.

Quite true. I'd have to cut off a leg to lose 30 pounds. And that would make cycling decidedly more challenging.

eatskisleep

I have decided to sell my K2 Zed 2.0... pretty good condition for a pretty good price. Drop me a P/M.

FunkE

Just thought I'd post a pic of my Azure and list my current set up:

'05 19" Azure Comp Frame
Rock Shox Ario rear shock
'05 Manitou Minute 2:00 (100mm)
WTB LaserDisc Lite Wheelset with LaserDisc Lite Hubs ('05)
Kenda Karma 2.0 tires
Kenda Tubes
Sram PG-950 Cassette
Shimano HG73 Chain
Shimano Deore LX rear Der.
Shimano Deore LX Front Der.
Truvativ FireX Team Cranks
Crankbrothers Eggbeaters Chromoly pedals
Hayes HFX 9 Disc brakes
Shimano Deore shifters
Ritchey WCS Seatpost
WTB Rocket V Race saddle
Truvativ XR 110mm stem
RaceFace Deus XC low rise handlebar
WTB Trail grips

my ride is a 2004 Mtn cycles san andres.
fox raceing 125 front shock fox raceing air rear shock
race face cranks and bb.
avid disk
thompson stem & seat post.
xt set up
road bike?
now that lance is out of the picture is'nt road rideing now considered gay?
(just kidding now dont get your grapes all cought up in a bunch)