Road Wheels - for getting to the Goat Farm - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    I've been saving a bit and am hoping to take the plunge in the next couple of months to a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL's....$800 range....

Wheels can make a huge difference...rolling weight plus stiffness etc.

Whenver I think about new wheels it inevitibly leads to thinking about a new bike... piecemeal components are so expensive!

Hmm, think we need the resident roadie expert in here.

Can one of the mods add "chainsaw," "fire extinguishing," or "goats" to the title?
    2009-2010:
    Killington: 11/7, 11/21, 12/5, 12/6, 12/10, 12/12, 12/13, 12/22, 12/23, 1/1, 1/2, 1/9, 1/10, 1/23, 1/24 (15)

Ski Sundown: 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/24, 12/30, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 1/11 - 1/22, 1/26-1/30 (27)
    EH XC: 12/21 (1)
    WNY XC/NELSAP BC: 12/29 (1)

Total: 44

The R500 wheels that came with your bike should be fine provided the shop you purchased the bike from adjusted and tensioned the spokes. We ask to get the bike back within 30 days to re-adjust everthing to prevent this from happening.

I'm pushing 190LBS and I've always had great luck with Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. The pair I'm on has at least 12K+ on them over 5 years and last year someone even crashed into my back wheel locking it up at 25MPH and bending 3 spokes. Once I put the new spokes in the wheel was as good as new.

My advice is to wait till you have $500-$800 to spend on a pair of $700-$1100 MSRP Wheels. Keep the R500 Wheels as back-ups

PS: Don't try that durability testing at home

+1 on Chainreactioncycles.com

I bought 2 sets of Dura-Ace WH-7850-C24-CL wheels from them earlier this year. The best price I could find in the US was $1299 pr. Chain Reaction's price was $640.00 shipped via Royal Mail/ US postal service. Their pricing will depend upon the exchange rate the day you order.
    These are fantastic wheels with the best reviews I saw of any Road wheelsets.Titanium hubs with Carbon rims but with a bonded aluminum braking surface. I understand the Ultegra wheels are the same design but much less expensive since they use aluminum hubs and all aluminum rims, you may want check them out.

ROCK ON! Thank you Riv...I've been thinking about new wheels almost since I got my bike....about 4-5 yrs ago now. I knew which ones I wanted (as I said in my earlier post above in this thread). A shop near me had a pair of the Ksyrium SL SSC's which are a few years old...but they were very lightly used from an older rider and when I first heard about them, the guy wanted 400. Then he went down to 375 and I was about to pull the plug, but apparently the guy sold them earlier that day on ebay for 450 and pulled them from the guy's shop.

But...that got me going, and I finally took the plunge through my regular LBS....So I now have ..I have on order...a sweet looking brand spanking new pair of these:

I am stoked. They should be in next wednesday I'll probably throw on an Ultegra Cassette as the Dura-Ace ones can get uber pricey.
    Last edited by marcski; Jul 1, 2010 at 2:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    Whenver I think about new wheels it inevitibly leads to thinking about a new bike... piecemeal components are so expensive!
    Yea, I had thought about that issue. Upgrading to a new bike only one year after I bought my first one just does not seem like a good return on investment. But paying 1/3 of the price of a bike for a pair of new wheels is a hard price to swallow. My thoughts are that if I buy a quality wheel, I can move it over to a new bike down the road if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by mondeo View Post
    Hmm, think we need the resident roadie expert in here.

Can one of the mods add "chainsaw," "fire extinguishing," or "goats" to the title?
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do these phrases have to do with the Road Wheels title? Is this a MTB thing or something? What is the Goat Farm referencing?

Quote Originally Posted by andyaxa View Post
    Have you had a look around http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/ ? I have heard from a few people who have had very good experiences with them. They build all their wheels inhouse. I'm not sure if you're racing or how high end you want to go but you can get a pair of Mavic Open Sports (32spokes) w/105 hubs for around $200. You can mix and match if you want, uprading hubs to Ultegra or DA, etc. Personally I'm thinking of just getting the Mavic CXP22 w/105 hubs for my cyclocross. Should be just fine for my needs and budget.
    Thanks for all the references, that site is great. Looks like they have some of the cheaper prices around and good to know that they have a good reputation. I had been looking at the Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra hubs. Looks like it would be about $300. I'll take a few more rides on my current wheels and make a decision of it would be worth the price to upgrade.

Thanks for all the responses!
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

I thought the goat farm reference was to attract Marc to respond to this post since that is where he usually finds his dates, no?

Quote Originally Posted by marcski View Post
    I thought the goat farm reference was to attract Marc to respond to this post since that is where he usually finds his dates, no?
    Ah, wow, I am slow. Makes perfect sense now. Would be nice to hear from Marc. I did check out his thread on his then new Easton EA70 wheels before posting.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Yea, I had thought about that issue. Upgrading to a new bike only one year after I bought my first one just does not seem like a good return on investment. But paying 1/3 of the price of a bike for a pair of new wheels is a hard price to swallow. My thoughts are that if I buy a quality wheel, I can move it over to a new bike down the road if it comes to that.
    But for the bike that comes with those wheels, you're no longer talking 1/3rd of the price.

If it makes you feel any better, one crash on my MTB is costing me 1/2 the price of the bike.
    2009-2010:
    Killington: 11/7, 11/21, 12/5, 12/6, 12/10, 12/12, 12/13, 12/22, 12/23, 1/1, 1/2, 1/9, 1/10, 1/23, 1/24 (15)

Ski Sundown: 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/24, 12/30, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 1/11 - 1/22, 1/26-1/30 (27)
    EH XC: 12/21 (1)
    WNY XC/NELSAP BC: 12/29 (1)

Total: 44

Thread Information