• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road Wheels - for getting to the Goat Farm

mlctvt

Thanks for all the references, that site is great. Looks like they have some of the cheaper prices around and good to know that they have a good reputation. I had been looking at the Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra hubs. Looks like it would be about $300. I'll take a few more rides on my current wheels and make a decision of it would be worth the price to upgrade.

Thanks for all the responses!

Steve- Open Pros with Ultegra hubs are a great choice. We ran these for over 20 years until all these new fangled wheels started coming out several years ago. Our 1994 Trek 5200s still have these wheels on them with 50,000+ miles on them. We only had to replace the rear rim on one due to brake surface wear but no other problems at all. Just normal service of the bearings.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Steve- Open Pros with Ultegra hubs are a great choice. We ran these for over 20 years until all these new fangled wheels started coming out several years ago. Our 1994 Trek 5200s still have these wheels on them with 50,000+ miles on them. We only had to replace the rear rim on one due to brake surface wear but no other problems at all. Just normal service of the bearings.
Pretty sure I am going to upgrade and choice is down to either the Open Pros or the CXP33 (Ultegra Hub either way). Not much more money for the CXP33 which reports suggest is a stronger rim if just 20g heavier per wheel. That is a total of a 0.1 pound increase. At 210lbs, I am not light enough to be able to feel that difference in bike weight so I might just up for the CXP33 which seems more bomb proof for about the same price.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
My new wheels came in on tuesday and got them installed yesterday.

So, with this upgrade, I ended up getting the Ksyrium SL's, a new ultegra cassette, 2 new Conti GP 4000's, upgraded to ultegra brakes, new cables, cable housings and new handlebar tape.

I took it out for my regular ride this morning....and the bike felt great, wheels were very smooth and i noticed that it handled great and was definitely more nimble with these wheels. It was a bit humid and I didn't eat that much for dinner last night..so I wasn't putting out my top power levels...but I definitely felt that the wheels were definitely stiffer and gave back more than my old ones when powering up hills. I'm quite happy with this upgrade....

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Went with the CXP33 rims with Ultegra hubs. Just a touch heavier than the Open Pros but reviews and reports suggested that the CXP33 was the stronger rim so it was worth the extra weight because, heck, that is why I am upgrading any ways.

Since I still have stock tires, also decided to upgrade those and I went with the Conti GP 4000s. Weight savings in the tires should off set the weight increase on the wheels.

So to answer Marc's question, never mind, this is more a topic for the Out for Delivery thread at this point

:D