• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuesday 7pm - Nass

Trev

Hitting Nass @ Scoville for 7pm.

Not a miles run, not really anything but an hourish of putzing around and sweating in the woods vs. at home.

There are some rocky ups n stuff I want to session... by the truck trail intersection... maybe Brian's rock.. a couple of ups on the sessions side of things that I want to work on.

Anyone interested... Scoville in 45 ish.

Something you wanna work on today, that you dont want to waist your time on during normal runs... this is a perfect day.

Also a good day to drop 30 lbs of water weight and chance death.

WoodCore

Did you make it out Trev? Didn't see your vehicle when I drove past Lamson's Corner a little after 8pm. It was hot out in the woods this evening but completely bearable actually think the bugs where worse than the heat!

Trev

Did you make it out Trev? Didn't see your vehicle when I drove past Lamson's Corner a little after 8pm. It was hot out in the woods this evening but completely bearable actually think the bugs where worse than the heat!

I pulled out about 8-8:05. Just a quick 'hit it n quit it' hour.

A-frames + drop (now complete with a down ramp).. twice..
Rules Jewels.. twice to confirm ownership..

Riding was Jug A Lug... Truck Trail.... Sessions... Car... -- I don't have all the names down, but you get my drift.

Sessioned a couple little things.. like the rock at the intersection near the rusty truck ... it's a small up ... but nasty little approach.. so I played on it.

Anyhow.. was nice quick hour.

Bugs sucked.

Trev

Oh ya, took me 9 minutes to get there from my new place.

lol.

2knees

twice to confirm ownership.....

make sure you make it to highland if we ever go.

MR. evil

A-frames + drop (now complete with a down ramp).. twice..

I missed this before. Did someone actually build a ramp off the end of that tiny drop? If memory serves me, couldn't you roll down to the right of that drop?

Trev

I missed this before. Did someone actually build a ramp off the end of that tiny drop? If memory serves me, couldn't you roll down to the right of that drop?

Yes, you can go to the right and there is a couple inch roller dip thingy.

Yes, at the end of that arguably knee high drop, there is now a down ramp for rolling.

I would stay off that drop btw, or bring a hammer. The nails on it are protruding enough to cause flats. Boards/logs are mia and the nails stayed.

2knees

This sounds like a challenge to me.

I still want to get both of you to Nam.

a challenge? lol, i liked the description he used. I'll leave the challenges to the young kids like you!

Trev

For the record, you need absolutely NO speed on the approach to Rules Jewels.

Last year it seemed like the 'issue' on the drop was maintaining speed to it. Or so said the folks I was with, as I only attempted it and failed, once.

I roll into it and almost come to a complete stop at the peak.. roll down.. slight pull back.. nothing but net.

-- Not being a critic here, more so trying to be informative. Many of the guys seem to feel it is hard to maintain needed speed... to drop it correctly. Not the case, I am by far NOT an expert either, but no speed into that turn is needed. It is a total 'mind fuck'. You guys( the guys I ride with, Jeff etc.. ) are dropping bigger stuff on normal down hills.. this is just setup to feel spooky.. a ramp.. off the ground.. etc. blah.. just saying..

o3jeff

For the record, you need absolutely NO speed on the approach to Rules Jewels.

Last year it seemed like the 'issue' on the drop was maintaining speed to it. Or so said the folks I was with, as I only attempted it and failed, once.

I roll into it and almost come to a complete stop at the peak.. roll down.. slight pull back.. nothing but net.

-- Not being a critic here, more so trying to be informative. Many of the guys seem to feel it is hard to maintain needed speed... to drop it correctly. Not the case, I am by far NOT an expert either, but no speed into that turn is needed. It is a total 'mind fuck'. You guys( the guys I ride with, Jeff etc.. ) are dropping bigger stuff on normal down hills.. this is just setup to feel spooky.. a ramp.. off the ground.. etc. blah.. just saying..

I just need to not look at the wooden ramp. Bridges and these wooden features are what get in my head, but I seem to be a lot more comfortable riding them this year and have done plenty of them this year that I was walking last year just due to me not thinking about them when I come up on them and just riding them instead of pulling on the brakes!

Trev

They stop me dead in my tracks sometimes. Really, they are total ' mind fucks'.

FACT IS: I stopped on my first attempt last night too, got to the peak there and stopped. Then I laughed at myself turned around and got within 1 pedal stroke of the first wood plank there and hit it. Rode around the track and hit it again without any stops... just to 'own it' in my head.

That ramp is probably 1.5' wide. Here we are at Case crossing river beds on an 8' wide bridge like it was nothing. Now if you where on a single track section, with a drop twice as high... you would hit it without thinking twice. You do at Case on that down hill where we lost the biker... rofl.. you know where I am talking about too.. lol..

OMG Tyler Mill even, that drop is easily twice the height... easily.

Rules Jewels is a knee high drop, that has a smooth landing that doesn't drop away either, meaning that the real drop height stays static no matter where you land it.

Look down the trail and go. We'll session it next time for pure ownership :)

The fact it is 'up in the air' gives it that feeling of it being much higher/harder. it's the open space.. possible threat of falling.. Focus on the trail landing.

I always get caught up with -> that rock there, or that tree there etc.. and the bikes roll over them and end up not being an issue even if you wanted them to be. /shrug.

I just need to not look at the wooden ramp. Bridges and these wooden features are what get in my head, but I seem to be a lot more comfortable riding them this year and have done plenty of them this year that I was walking last year just due to me not thinking about them when I come up on them and just riding them instead of pulling on the brakes!

Trev

I just need to not look at the wooden ramp. Bridges and these wooden features are what get in my head

Oh, and to NOT get all ' I am the exert' on you, cause I am not an expert here...

I ask these guys I ride with for help, direction, critique what I am doing wrong etc..

When it comes to log rides and bridges, focus 'beyond' the end of the ride. If you feel your going over a side, try to feather the brake and/or pedal to keep balance. If your speed isn't changing and stays stagnant, that apparently makes the ride harder to balance.

I am trying that stuff, seems to help, my log rides are lasting much longer and I am going much further. It is hard as hell to not look straight down at the tire..heh.

Greg

Staff member

If memory serves me, it wasn't that long ago that drop wasn't so tiny to you...

MR. evil

If memory serves me, it wasn't that long ago that drop wasn't so tiny to you...

Very true, but why bother building a ramp off the end of a drop when you can roll it a couple of feet to the right?

If the only option was either take the drop of walk it, I MIGHT agree with building a ramp. But when there is a rollable option right next to it, come on.

2knees

anyone hit the hobo cave drop yet? or the rock drop after those multiple up and down rock rollers?

Greg

Staff member
Ya, I watched you wipe off it last year.

Nice try, but we're talking about a different tiny drop.

Very true, but why bother building a ramp off the end of a drop when you can roll it a couple of feet to the right?

If the only option was either take the drop of walk it, I MIGHT agree with building a ramp. But when there is a rollable option right next to it, come on.

I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion, I just found it funny that all those stunts that you used to stare at for 10 minutes before trying, are now so laughable. I guess that's the natural progression once you have achieved uber free-ride status. :razz:

Just not interested in all the dick waving here lately. Or perhaps I'm just jealous that I haven't gotten out riding as much as I'd like lately. Anyway, congrats on upping your game so much, guys.

o3jeff

No dick waving here since I did wipe out in the parking lot pre-ride Sunday and scraped the knee up. I just wanted to make sure our new friend Jason didn't expect too much out of me!