• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2010-11 Thread

MommaBear

Family Fridays at Bromley

While following up on the 5th grade passport program on skivermont.com (another way to save), I found this:

Family Fridays at Bromley
Combine Bromley’s $44 midweek/non-holiday ticket with Bromley’s fantastic Family Friday deal, where each paying adult pays just $15 per kid for up to three kids, the savings positively snowballs. On Family Fridays are good to go every Friday this winter season except during the holiday periods – mom or dad can take their two kids and one of their friends for a whole day of skiing or riding for the outrageous price of $89! A family of four skis for just $118!

Visit bromley.com for more info

Cheap lodging near/in the mountains

Members of various ski clubs sometimes have arrangements for their members to stay at a lodge owned by another club. Most often these are single-gender, bunk-style arrangements which have cooking facilities. Very few of them however accommodate families, and couples often have to split up. For example, my club ACE, has an arrangement with a club in North Conway for ACE members to stay overnight for $24. While ACE has no house of it's own, it's a great way for you to get a room without the financial or work obligations of a club which owns a house. This is definitely a "step up" from hostels, the majority of the people in a club house know each other and take care of the place, so things are a more controlled.

Aside from the price, it's a great way to meet other kindred spirits and check out a club. Many others have a "guest" privilege where prospective members can board overnight as part of checking out the club. If you get serious about a club, keep in mind that most are open year round, so they can be a base camp for off-season hiking and other mountain activities. Ski Councils are a great vehicle for reciprocity between clubs, so when you're looking to save a buck, this might be something to consider.

Quoted in entirety for truth. A couple more things.

Especially with a family, club lodges save you a ton of money because you can cook for yourself and pack lunches for the kids.

Locations: It seems the Boston-area club houses are concentrated in NH, while the Connecticut clubs are a good choice for folks looking for VT deals. The Connecticut Ski Council has links to the individual clubs here: http://www.skiclub.com/Default.aspx?uc=JoinAClub Out of these, maybe 1/4 have a lodge or share a lodge, so look through them. As far as I know none has a residency requirement.

Like Bill said, most offer shared accommodations, although to a varying degree. Some, like the Danbury house in Weston, have several bunk rooms, each with a handful of beds, so if you're bringing your family your group will most likely get its own room. The Connecticut ski clubs' lodges seem to be concentrated in central and southern VT -- Ludlow being kind of the center of mass -- so anybody heading as far south as Mt. Snow or as far north as Killington/Pico is looking at no more than an hour drive.

In years past, Danbury has opened lodge accomodations to any member of any CSC club, at the standard guest rate (30/night), as long as a DSC member has registered to use the house at the same time as well. I don't know if they're going to do that this year, though. Member rate is $25/night for adults, $15 for kids.

If you ski at Mt. Snow and/or Sugarbush/MRG a lot, check out Sterling Ski Club out of Stratford, Ct. Sterling Ski Club owns two lodges, both available year-round, one in West Brattleboro, by the diner (1/2 hour from Mt. Snow, less than an hour from Stratton,) and the other one at Sugarbush on the side of Mt. Ellen (ski-in/ski-out, when there's snow.) Member rates are $15/night/adult. Last year and the year before they had a sharing arrangement with Winterset Ski Club out of Newtown, with Winterset members paying $20/night, but I am not sure if they are going to renew that this year.

If you ski Killington/Pico or Sugarbush a lot, you might want to check out the Garden State Ski Club, which has a house in Pittsford, Vt. The catch is that they expect you to go to meetings, so if you don't live near Maywood, NJ it probably isn't worth the trouble. Great location, though.

I know a lot about both the Danbury and Sterling clubs, so anybody feel free to message me if you have questions about either one. They are both great clubs with amazing benefits for the price.

trackbiker

Wonder if they'll still honor the offer. The printed voucher with bar code makes no mention of the DMB fan club even though it was mentioned in the link with the offer on the website.

If they don't honor it, I hope they're smart and send out multiple emails stating such to those who signed up for the mailing list and received the voucher. I can imagine some pretty peeved customers who show up with expectations to ski for free only to be told their voucher is not valid.

If mine works great, if not, I have a Warren Miller twofer to use. It did sound way too good to be true when I first read it here. Never seen a mountain 100% give away their ski product outside of to contest winners or industry partners.

Thanks for posting that here riverCoil. I meant to and then got busy at work. I've gotten a lot of great tips from this thread.
I don't see how they could invalidate the coupons based on how they read. The Killington 2for1 says on it's face that it's only good thru 12/24 but the letter says it's good for any offpeak period. Plus I don't think Powder is in the mood for any more negative press after the lifetime pass debacle.
The Pico ticket is good for weekdays and will likely bring them extra business in the form of food and beverage sales and likely future visits. The Killington 2for1 will bring in at least half ticket price from a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have visited. I know that I will likely use both with three or four friends on a weekend in Jan/Feb and none of us would likely have skied either this season. So it will all be extra revenue for them at really no cost.

zinger3000

Am I correct in assuming that you can't ski a mountain more than once per package? It doesn't specifically say so, so just wondering.

Re: Price Chopper Ski Any # Passbooks - You CAN ski a mountain more than once. You could even ski the same mountain all 3 times if you wanted to.

I know an earlier post states differently, but I was under the impression that the passbooks were non-transferrable and could only be used once per day. Though I suppose you might be able to use it yourself, then give the book to your friend/companion, and have them buy their lift ticket at a different window.

Smellytele

Just got an email from Bolton Valley
Ski for $15 or Ski and Stay for $55

The Happy Holidays Week at Bolton Valley is an annual December tradition where we drop lift ticket prices to $15 per day and Nordic day ticket prices drop to only $5. This year's Happy Holidays Week will be December 20th through the 24th. Get a jump on purchasing your lift ticket for this time period and help out the ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center. Simply head to ECHO to purchase your Happy Holiday lift ticket and $3 of your purchase will go back to support ECHO.

Need lodging for the week? You can ski and stay for just $55 per person during Happy Holiday week. Check here for complete details and to book.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Simon Mall: Buy a gift card, get a lift ticket free.

Shop & Ski Smarter! Purchase $250 in American Express® Simon Giftcards® and receive one lift ticket to Cranmore, Wildcat or Wachusett Mountain! Visit Guest Services located on mall level 1 to find out more!

Chestnut Hill Mall, Mass
Burlington Mall, Mass

Blackout dates apply

source: Chestnut hill facebook page.

gmcunni

another Pico deal - 3 days of skiing for $99 and discounts after that -

http://picomountain.com/site/tickets_and_passes/super_express_card

The Super Express Card is loaded with three days of skiing/riding for just $99 with express access to the lifts; no stopping at the ticket window required!

The Super Express Card offers all the benefits of a Pico Express Card with your fourth day of skiing/riding and beyond for $39 on Saturdays, Sundays and peak periods* and only $29 on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays (non-peak) all season long!

The Super Express Card is available for purchase through December 16, 2010.

deadheadskier

Staff member
sold

was just thinking last night that I could use another VT area voucher for trips later this season. thanks for the heads up

tt431

I got this email from Pico, I don't know if this is an error but it says after completion season pass $50. Is this right?

From stocking stuffers to vacation getaways, Pico Mountain has some great gift ideas for you this holiday season.

Give a Super Express Card
For just $99 the Super Express Card comes preloaded with three days of skiing and riding valid any day of the season. From the fourth day on, the Super Express Card will offer all the benefits of the Express Card with daily savings up to 50 percent off window ticket rates.

Wobbly Barn Gift Card
A vacation at Pico Mountain isn’t complete without a visit to the World Famous Wobbly Barn Steakhouse. Share the gift of the finest steaks, seafood and pasta selections created by executive chef Justin with a Wobbly Barn Gift Card this holiday season.

Give the Gift of Learning to Ski/Ride
Share a lifetime of memories by giving the gift of learning to ski or snowboard this holiday season. For just $169, our Learn To Ski or Ride package includes three days of lesson, rentals and lift tickets. Plus, after completion, skiers/riders will be offered a 2010-11 Pico Season Pass for just $50!

slickjones

I got this email from Pico, I don't know if this is an error but it says after completion season pass $50. Is this right?

From stocking stuffers to vacation getaways, Pico Mountain has some great gift ideas for you this holiday season.

Give a Super Express Card
For just $99 the Super Express Card comes preloaded with three days of skiing and riding valid any day of the season. From the fourth day on, the Super Express Card will offer all the benefits of the Express Card with daily savings up to 50 percent off window ticket rates.

Wobbly Barn Gift Card
A vacation at Pico Mountain isn’t complete without a visit to the World Famous Wobbly Barn Steakhouse. Share the gift of the finest steaks, seafood and pasta selections created by executive chef Justin with a Wobbly Barn Gift Card this holiday season.

Give the Gift of Learning to Ski/Ride
Share a lifetime of memories by giving the gift of learning to ski or snowboard this holiday season. For just $169, our Learn To Ski or Ride package includes three days of lesson, rentals and lift tickets. Plus, after completion, skiers/riders will be offered a 2010-11 Pico Season Pass for just $50!
seems to be true based on their website... But they say this is for first time skiers and snowboarders only...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
$15 at Bolton Dec 20-24.

ECHO Fundraiser Means $15 Lift Tickets Dec. 20-24

BOLTON VALLEY, Vt. (November 29, 2010) — Bolton Valley Resort, big mountain skiing and riding less than 30 minutes from Burlington, has partnered with ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center in Burlington to offer $15 Happy Holiday Bolton Valley lift tickets valid Dec. 20-24, 2010. Of the $15, $3 will go toward supporting 70 live species and more than 100 interactive experiences at ECHO, all which explore the Ecology, Culture, History, and Opportunity for stewardship of the Lake Champlain Basin.

"We are continually looking for ways to partner with local business which give back to the environment and our community," said Josh Arneson, director of marketing for Bolton Valley. "We are extremely conscious of our environmental footprint and always looking for ways to sustain the environment. ECHO's research and educational components are so important to understanding and preserving the Lake Champlain Basin area so this was a natural partnership for us."

The $15 Happy Holiday lift tickets are an annual tradition at Bolton Valley, when resort officials lower the daily lift ticket rate just before Christmas. These $15 lift tickets, and $5 tickets for Nordic skiing, will be available at resort ticket windows, but only those purchased in the ECHO gift shop will be included in the $3 donation program for ECHO. On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of that week, lift tickets are valid for skiing and riding until 8 p.m. as well. Ski and Stay packages start at $55 per person during Happy Holiday Week.

Bolton Valley Resort is Vermont’s most convenient big mountain for skiing and riding packed with value. Less than 10 minutes from I-89 and less than 30 minutes from Burlington, the family-friendly mountain offers skiers and riders of all abilities three mountain peaks with 71 trails and 6 lifts, plus 3 terrain parks including the Burton Progression Park.

Bolton Valley is one of only two ski resorts in the U.S. to implement wind power as an energy source and is the recipient of the National Ski Areas Association’s 2010 Silver Eagle Award for environmental initiatives. Approximately 100km of high elevation Nordic terrain, a complete Sports Center and Indoor Amusement Center and Vermont’s most extensive top-to-bottom night skiing and riding are just a few of the extras available to guests. All-inclusive, true ski-to-your-door lodging packages from $79/person/night. For more information visit www.boltonvalley.com or call 877-9BOLTON.

nycskier

Not sure where this counts on skiing on the cheap but you can win a 5 day, 4 night heli skiing trip to Tailgate Alaska from the Flow Snowboards search and win site:

One instant winner will be announced on Tuesday, February 1st 2011. Every time you win any denomination of Rewards Points from searching the web with the Flow Search + Win you will receive 1 entry into this giveaway. The more times you win, the more entries you will receive. You can also redeem the Flow points for free ski & snowboarding gear.

I always did want to ski Alaska.....