• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AT&T Microcell

dmc

Picked up my 3g MicroCell last night for my house. Got work to pay for it - cheaper then a land line. After rebate it came out to $60 with no charges afterwards .
Setup took a while - it needs to have a clear GPS signal to determine location.. Uses existing internet connection. Experimented with it on the device chain. no difference if where it sits on the chain.

But I'm cooking with gas now!!! Full bars on the IPhone... Still can't reproduce the antennae issue.. It doesn't appear affect my bandwidth...

I'm pretty happy!!

wa-loaf

Cool, big press conference today about the iPhone. Free bumpers for everyone!

Puck it

Is this just to get better signal in poor signal strength areas? Trying to understand the purpose of this. The cell phone now goes through the microcell and then the broadbad. Correct?

dmc

Does the micro cell just help your connection or do you neighbors "leech" off the signal also?

No - you have to go onto a webpage and tell it what cell #'s are going to be using the signal..

dmc

Ok, that's fantastic then.

It is... so far... Although I just left the house and it didn't automatically switch back to the device.. :( going to have to look it up...

Glenn

It's cool that they offer that. I think Sprint does too. One thing I don't get...AT&T charges your minutes when you make calls over the microcell. I mean, technically, you're not "on the network".

Kicked around getting one up north, but the wifi works just fine for mail, interweb and BlackBerry Messenger.

dmc

It's cool that they offer that. I think Sprint does too. One thing I don't get...AT&T charges your minutes when you make calls over the microcell. I mean, technically, you're not "on the network".

So does Verizon - I think..

To me it's just another cell tower... I have unlimited calling so it's not an issue..

Puck it

I looked at the web page befroe asking the question. It makes sense, but why would you pay for it. I would get ATT to cough it for free, if my reception was bad and I needed it at my house. Is your recption that bad at your house that you needed this?

dmc

I have no AT&T cell reception at my house..

I needed it for work.

Work paid for this otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it.

I realize the irony..

Puck it

I have no AT&T cell reception at my house..

I needed it for work.

Work paid for this otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it.

I realize the irony..

It seems to me that if someone needs it for there service to be adequate when they are not moving such as being home. The service provider should give it away. My two cents.

Last edited:

dmc

I understand the irony and the issue.

It's a way to fix a problem. I could either do it or not - I chose to do it.. It makes my life good.

Puck it

I understand the irony and the issue.

It's a way to fix a problem. I could either do it or not - I chose to do it.. It makes my life good.

I see you edited your original response. Writers remorse?

I left off the the "not" in moving. I am speaking F'ing English. Chill.

I am saying that it sounds like a fix for thier lack of cell towers in rural areas and they are charging air time to one's account. Therefore, it should be free. Just my opinion.

dmc

I see you edited your original response. Writers remorse?

I left off the the "not" in moving. I am speaking F'ing English. Chill.

I am saying that it sounds like a fix for thier lack of cell towers in rural areas and they are charging air time to one's account. Therefore, it should be free. Just my opinion.

Yes - I am careful on how I communicate with you. And after i thought about it, I deciphered your comment.

Right.... I get you opinion. And it's valid..

I needed cell reception for work communication continuity... I chose to live and work in a rural area. I live with the issues of my choice and do not complain about it. It's a small price to pay for the lifestyle and location

Puck it

Yes - I am careful on how I communicate with you. And after i thought about it, I deciphered your comment.

Right.... I get you opinion. And it's valid..

I needed cell reception for work communication continuity... I chose to live and work in a rural area. I live with the issues of my choice and do not complain about it. It's a small price to pay for the lifestyle and location

Your original comment was not called for. I was not instigating anything and you chose to start but then retracted. Very mature. BTW I fixed the typo.

I understand that you chose to live where you and you deal with the problems. It has nothing to do with that. Does Sprint or Verizon have better recption there? A person is paying ATT to have cell service and they do not have it. Then ATT should at least provide this for them at no charge.

dmc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So if anyone has a ski house in the mountains and requires AT&T 3g Cell phone reception where there is none - this is a great alternative!!

Puck it

I agree, but I would fight with them to get it for free since their lack of signal is adding extra cost to their. Do they charge minutes to your plan when the phone is using this microcell? That would be extremely bogus, if the person is paying for the minutes.