• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kovalchuk signs

4aprice

With the NJ Devils. (source NJ.com) I for one am very happy about this news. With the return of Jason Arnott I'm looking for big things this season.:smile:
Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

gorgonzola

not sure if i'd share your excitement after seeing him trip over the blue line during the play offs last season...

deadheadskier

Staff member
ya know I see a contract like this and can't help but think another strike is on the horizon. It's not the dollar amount. $100 million contracts are not uncommon in all professional sports; especially baseball and hoops. However, 17 years?!?!? I'm not sure why the owners ever signed onto a bargaining agreement that allows for contracts of that length. In one sense, it spreads out the liability over a longer period of time. However, the player is 27. It's pretty likely that his skills will be start to decline only half way into that contract. Granted the last 5 years are at a very low rate, but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

Puck it

ya know I see a contract like this and can't help but think another strike is on the horizon. It's not the dollar amount. $100 million contracts are not uncommon in all professional sports; especially baseball and hoops. However, 17 years?!?!? I'm not sure why the owners ever signed onto a bargaining agreement that allows for contracts of that length. In one sense, it spreads out the liability over a longer period of time. However, the player is 27. It's pretty likely that his skills will be start to decline only half way into that contract. Granted the last 5 years are at a very low rate, but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

I saw the 17 years also. I was like WTF. It must have to be salary cap.

4aprice

Lou Lamerillo is a pretty shrood guy and not known for dishing out the $ so there must be terms in there that we don't know about yet. It might sound crazy but he has won 3 Stanley Cups so I have a hard time questioning his judgement. Will it work out?, only time will tell but Kovalchuck is definately a stud and as a fan I'm very pleased. Like some of the other moves they made this summer too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jaywbigred

Lou Lamerillo is a pretty shrood guy and not known for dishing out the $ so there must be terms in there that we don't know about yet. It might sound crazy but he has won 3 Stanley Cups so I have a hard time questioning his judgement. Will it work out?, only time will tell but Kovalchuck is definately a stud and as a fan I'm very pleased. Like some of the other moves they made this summer too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Agree. Lou always has something up his sleeve. He prob knows the collective bargaining agreement better than anyone, and how to play with cap space. I am sure he has an exit strategy. We will see how this plays out...I think it was a MUST sign in order to keep Parise next season. Hopefully we are showing a commitment to offense (or at least, a 2 way game) that will entice Zach to stay on board. Johnny Mac as coach and Adam Oates as power play coach extraordinaire should help too. Arnott I could do without, but the defensive signings, esp. Volchenkov (who is a beast) are great. We have some young guns who should have an impact too. A good mix now, and I think a legit shot to win another cup before Marty and Elias hang em up.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not necessarily questioning the decision of the owner and/or GM. NJ is clearly one of the better franchises in the league recently in terms of winning and it's my understanding that the arena in downtown Newark does very well.

I just think the overall concept of signing an athlete to a 17 year deal is pretty dumb. If I were an owner of an organization in any sport, I'd vote the limit to be five years. It's nice to lock up a stud player for a very long time, but more often than not teams are looking to dump players at the end of their contracts in all sports because they're no longer as good as when they were signed.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Try again Lou....

"The NHL rejected Ilya Kovalchuk's 17-year, $102 million contract with the New Jersey Devils because it circumvents the league's salary cap, the league announced Wednesday."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=5397588&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

He was to earn $98 million in the first 11 years, so the last 6 were at a ridiculously low salary so that the cap hit wouldn't be a big. Even if it were for 11 years, complete with no-movement and no-trade clauses shows a huge level of commitment to him becoming the next face of the franchise.

jaywbigred

I believe ESPN had an article alleging that this deal was carried about by James Vanderbeek, principle owner of the Devs, and not Lou. That leaves me with a less warm and fuzzy feeling. Perhaps the NHL's response is a blessing in disguise. No idea where they go from here.

4aprice

I believe ESPN had an article alleging that this deal was carried about by James Vanderbeek, principle owner of the Devs, and not Lou. That leaves me with a less warm and fuzzy feeling. Perhaps the NHL's response is a blessing in disguise. No idea where they go from here.

I still want him. Parise was very happy with the signing before the NHL stepped in. He's big and very talented. And yes he will sell tickets.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

JerseyJoey

Moniker fail.

Not really. There are way more Ranger fans in New Jersey than there are Devils fans. Go to a Ranger/Devil game at the Garden, it's 90% Ranger fans. Go to a Ranger/Devil game at The Rock, it's 50/50.

Maybe I'll see you at a NYR/NJD game at the Rock this season (Dinner/drinks at Spanish Tavern or one of the other Ironbound gems first of course)?