• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My New (to me) Ski Car

hammer

I'm going to assume most are right around the 2k limit for towing. Some more, some less.
My pop-up camper is just over 1900 lb completely empty...so 2000 won't do it.

There are a number of crossovers that have 3500-5000 lb tow capacities if tow packages are installed. My Highlander is rated for 3500 lb and handles the pop-up OK. I may be looking at towing something bigger in the future...so I would want a minimum tow capacity of 5000 lb. Some but not all crossovers can do that, but most truck-based SUVs can handle at least that much.

rocojerry

My pop-up camper is just over 1900 lb completely empty...so 2000 won't do it.

There are a number of crossovers that have 3500-5000 lb tow capacities if tow packages are installed. My Highlander is rated for 3500 lb and handles the pop-up OK. I may be looking at towing something bigger in the future...so I would want a minimum tow capacity of 5000 lb. Some but not all crossovers can do that, but most truck-based SUVs can handle at least that much.

Most pathfinders I think are within the 3500-5000 towing capacity range, but depends on year and transmission type.....

rocojerry

...... 4Runner is a valid comparison, but we found them more pricey.
Not to mention little things like Pathfinder's relative sportiness (owing to its terrific engine, discussed above) when in 2WD (rear), styling that I love, and standard Double-Din sized radio that allowed for super easy aftermarket upgrade to Bluetooth, Nav, Aux-In, etc...I mean, I test drove at least 15 cars, and this was by far the best in terms of fitting that profile.

Someday, I'll replace my Pathy with one like yours or a 4Runner.... curious about your 4Runner test drives, if you don't mind sending along a PM.

Hawkshot99

Wrong term...meant actually swapping the wheels out on the car. Can be done DIY or at a local tire shop but the cost there shouldn't be that much.

Not sure how much I would like having to ignore the warning light on the car for several months...but you do have a point there.

You cant take one rim and tire off your vehicle and swap it with a different one? 20 minutes tops, and that is with no power tools.

My ABS sensors went out on my truck and Chevy wanted about $900 in parts to fix them, not counting labor. I just push the ignore button on my dash every time I get in.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Just quoted wheels, tires, and sensors on tirerack.com. $1071.54 not including mounting or programming of the sensors.

:eek: That's it. I'm sticking with my older, not-as-sophisticated cars. Just bought a set of all-seasons (which were more expensive than snows would have been) and that only ran me about $350ish with shipping + tax. Granted, I didn't buy wheels, too, but still... yikes!

SKIQUATTRO

just put 17's (chevy rims) with snows on $885 (no tmps sensors) from import tire/wheel in glastonbury...my stock summer/spring/fall tires/rims are 20's