• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Bike Build

bvibert

Staff member
The 456 frame has a really short head tube, your most likely going to need to cut down the fork steerer tube a little. Don't cut too much off, that way you will be able to easily transfer the fork to another bike in the future. Anyway, the best thing I have found for the job is a pipe / tubing cutter.

Leave the steerer tube longer than you think you need and put spacers on top of the stem if you need to. That will give you more options if you decide you want the bars up higher, or transfer the fork to something else. Make sure at the very least you leave enough length for some spacers and the total stem height (minus a few MM). If you cut the steerer too short then you're screwed.

MR. evil

Leave the steerer tube longer than you think you need and put spacers on top of the stem if you need to. That will give you more options if you decide you want the bars up higher, or transfer the fork to something else. Make sure at the very least you leave enough length for some spacers and the total stem height (minus a few MM). If you cut the steerer too short then you're screwed.

Like I said the head tube on that frame is really short. On mine I have about a 1.5" stack, a beefy stem and about 1" of stack above the stem. I cut the steerer tube long enough so it would still comfortably work on my 5 spot if I need to transfer the fork over. I still had to cut off some steerer tube to get those numbers. If I didn't do any cutting I would have had a huge stack above or below the stem.

MR. evil

Should I have ordered some spacers or is there something else i can use?

Ya, you going to need some spacers, your bike should have them

Edit: your also going to need a star nut installed in the steerer tube of your fork. It's only a couple bucks at any shop and easy to do yourself.

o3jeff

Seat and seat post
011.JPG
[/IMG]
Wheels, tires, tubes, discs and cassette done
014.JPG
[/IMG]
Cranks installed
015.JPG
[/IMG]
0131.JPG
[/IMG]

WoodCore

Looks like another box of misc. parts should show up tomorrow, hopefully I'll have everything now.

I find myself saying this over and over again during the course of my build.....yet there always seems to be another part that is needed....Doh! None the less my new whip is coming along nicely! Really not much left to do other than setting up the front wheel (when it arrives later this week) and dealing with all the tweaks and adjustments! Aside from the pain in the pocket book, building a bike up from scratch has been a ton of fun and a very educational experience. Hope to be able to take it for a ride this weekend....

o3jeff

I find myself saying this over and over again during the course of my build.....yet there always seems to be another part that is needed....Doh! None the less my new whip is coming along nicely! Really not much left to do other than setting up the front wheel (when it arrives later this week) and dealing with all the tweaks and adjustments! Aside from the pain in the pocket book, building a bike up from scratch has been a ton of fun and a very educational experience. Hope to be able to take it for a ride this weekend....

Post up some pics. I just need to get off my lazy butt and finish it up, but since my other bike is back I don't seem to be in a rush.

bvibert

Staff member

Dude, you can NOT make a post like that without pics!

MR. evil

No need for pics...you'll see plenty of her when she is a finished product.

What did you get? Specs?

Did you pick up one of those Blurs on CL? Seeing how big of a DW link fan you are I'm hoping you got a DW link Turner so I can check one out in person.

WoodCore

Finished up the build late last night/early this morning and got the new whip out on the trails this afternoon!! Still have a few minor adjustments to make but for the most part it rode pretty well although it did take some time in the saddle to adjust to the different geometry.

P1000850.JPG

P1000846.JPG

P1000847.JPG