• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This chick quits with style

legalskier

No doubt... You gotta respect flight attendants. .

The latest:

'Wing nut' has major baggage
'Net rant blasted luggage gluttons

The JetBlue flight attendant who flipped out after his plane landed at JFK and then escaped using the emergency chute is a self-professed "bag Nazi" who was furious over a passenger's oversized luggage, authorities said yesterday. "I hate to be a bag Nazi when I work a flight, but I feel if I am not, then I am letting down all those who cooperate and try to help out as well," fussy flight attendant Steven Slater wrote several months ago on Airliners.net, an aviation Web site on which he uses the handle "skyliner747." ****
[A] clearer account emerged of the JetBlue incident, which began with two women arguing over overhead space as Flight 1052 sat on a Pittsburgh tarmac... One of the women had two bags, one of which was too large to fit -- which is Slater's pet peeve. He told her it would have to be checked, Turman said. She then flipped out and began cursing at Slater -- at one point slamming the overhead bin door down on his head...
The woman's bag was ultimately checked, and she remained unapologetic, sources said. Once the jet arrived at JFK, the same passenger agitated Slater by trying to take her other, smaller bag down before the pilot gave the OK for passengers to stand. When Slater confronted her, she cursed at him and everyone else, demanding to get her checked bag back immediately...
That's when Slater let loose. "I got on the microphone and said, 'To those who have shown dignity and respect these last 20 years, thanks for a great ride,' " Slater said, according to the court complaint. But police sources said he also used the public-address system to lash out at the "the f - - king asshole that told me to f - - k off!" Then Slater grabbed his own two bags, swiped some beer, activated the inflatable emergency chute, slid down, headed to the parking lot and drove home in his Jeep Wrangler.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/wing_nut_has_major_baggage_29TR5TwHzemUTQuUlBWCGP

I'm trying to figure out how the beer fits into the narrative....
:beer:

dmc

Overhead storage gets ugly.. I usually do carry on for anything under a week. If it's a commuter plane I don't even try to bring my bag on.. just my laptop.

I'll "red tag" it and give it to the guy on the ramp. Then when we arrive at the destination I just wait on the ramp for it to come out again..

I've seen some ugly almost fights before - I'm the guy that will just sit and wait for the plane to clear out if there's lots of pushy people.. My status allows me on first and I can avoid such things which is nice..

legalskier

I've seen some ugly almost fights before - I'm the guy that will just sit and wait for the plane to clear out if there's lots of pushy people.. My status allows me on first and I can avoid such things which is nice..

Nice indeed. I take the same approach. Flying direct always helps, don't have to rush to a connecting and let others rush first if they must.
I can't help thinking they arrested the wrong person here. The airline must know who she is, what with seat assignments and all the TSA id procedures now.

dmc

jeep wrangler?:blink: i figured it would have been a white unicorn, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I am offended by this post. You clearly have no repect for homosexuals. :) jk

dmc

Nice indeed. I take the same approach. Flying direct always helps, don't have to rush to a connecting and let others rush first if they must.
I can't help thinking they arrested the wrong person here. The airline must know who she is, what with seat assignments and all the TSA id procedures now.

They totally know who she is... I bet we'll even see cell phone vids soon.. I know I'd have mine out for that... :)

I travel so much that I just can't get upset about things or I'd go crazy. The only plane I really wanted off was a domestic flight in India - the smell drove me nuts.. No offense to my Indian friends. Even the fight attendants know about the smell - they went down the aisle with air freshener at the start of the flight.. But I just went to my happy place and chilled my way throguh it without vomiting...

WakeboardMom

Overhead storage gets ugly.. I usually do carry on for anything under a week. If it's a commuter plane I don't even try to bring my bag on.. just my laptop.

I'll "red tag" it and give it to the guy on the ramp. Then when we arrive at the destination I just wait on the ramp for it to come out again..

I give the guy props for enforcing the rules. I hate when a flight is delayed because people are trying to shove too much sh*t into the overhead compartment.

dmc

I give the guy props for enforcing the rules. I hate when a flight is delayed because people are trying to shove too much sh*t into the overhead compartment.

People treat flight attendants like shti... My good friend is a flight attendant on Continental.. The stories are horrible...

Black Phantom

Ouch

Please stay out of the protected zone.

0464.jpg

jaywbigred

My Dad worked for Continental as a part time gig during his pseudo-retirement, and introduced me to the concept "Gate Checking" your bags...what DMC calls "red tag"ging it. I think this is the answer. It is so convenient not to have to deal with overhead bins, and it is also very nice to have 100% of your leg room. The inconvenience of waiting for 5 minutes or less on the jetway for your bag when you get off is minuscule in comparison, and is of course better than having to reroute through the airport and wait possibly 30+ minutes at the baggage carousel.

The big problem is that no one really knows what "Gate Checking" is. They here the word "check" and they assume it means a trip to the baggage carousel. The airlines don't educate people, and so you wind up with these idiots doing what they do for overhead space/not to check their bags.

I gladly gate check whenever possible. You do have to pay attention though, you obviously can't just gate check on every flight, bc on some (usually non-commuter jet) flights, a bag checked at the gate WILL go to the baggage carousel. Not really usually a big deal, bc the bigger the plane, the more likely you are to be able to fit the bag in the overhead, but it does require some checking before you submit to (or even request, as I have) gate checking.

Geoff

If you're flying on smaller equipment, gate check is totally painless. All the commuter subsidiaries are pretty good at getting gate checked bags out quickly. On larger equipment, you often see people waiting for baby carriages and the like until the last person gets off the plane.

There are places like Newark and Philly that I simply won't check a bag. Jimmy Hoffa Jr's boys are handling bags and they're not secure.