• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Canoe

Glenn

This was just too good to pass up. A patient at my wife's office had a canoe for sale...Old Town, Guide 147...never used. It's been sitting in the garage for two years. It also had a new set of oars and a roof carrier kit(foam blocks and straps).

We took a look at it last night. As you can see in the pics, it still has the foam on the bow and stern. The seat backs were still taped to the seats. So yeah, brand new. We worked out a price and her sons helped us load it up. It was a short drive; maybe 3-4 miles. The lady was so excited we bought it, she just wanted to see it get some use. Plus, she was thrilled she didn't have to deal with listing it for sale on craigs/newspaper and then deal with unknowns to come look at it.

I haven't canoe'd in years. We used to up at Lake Winnipesaukee back in the day, but I was always more interested in our jet ski.....or if I did take the canoe out...swamping it. So this should be fun. We're going to bring it up to VT and do some exploring. We'll launch it from that pond on Rt 30, just outside of Brat; where the West and CT river meet.

IMG00045-20100811-1908.jpg

jaytrem

We'll launch it from that pond on Rt 30, just outside of Brat; where the West and CT river meet.

Awesome, there are a ton of nice lakes up there to paddle around. Grount Pond which is above Somerset is probably my favorite, nice and quite. Sadagwa Lake, south of Lake Whitingham has a cool floating island that you can paddle into. My parents were out yesterday at the Rt 30 place, unfortunatly the restaurant on the other side they were going to apparently burnt down a couple months ago (The Marina). Anyway, enjoy!!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Old Town makes great canoes. My inlaws live 5 miles from the factory and I visited it on the 4th of July weekend. The factory store is nice and they even have a pool inside for you to demo your kayak/canoe.

Glenn

Thanks guys! I don't know much about canoes, but I did know that Old Town makes a good one. From what I can tell, it's built well and it doesn't weigh too much. I think I read it's about 75 lbs.

jaytrem,
Total bummer on the Marina burning. We were sad...we had wanted to go there for my wife's b-day...but the fire happened a few weeks before. One of our neighbors in VT is a contractor and he has a shop in that same complex. I'll see him Saturday, so I'll try to get the lowdown on the rebuild.

If you (or anyone else) has any other suggestions on SoVT canoeing, I'm all ears.

drjeff

I'm trying to figure out how the Glenn/Mrs. Glenn canoe adventure will play out. Will it be Glenn paddling away as Mrs. Glenn basks in the sun in the front seat??? Or will it be Mrs. Glenn making some comments from the bow about how Glenn isn't paddling enough/on the wrong side/etc?? :lol: :beer: ;)

SkiDork

question about canoes: We did some canoeing this past weekend, first time in quite a while (ever?) They seem very tippy side to side. Took me a while to get used to it.

The over-riding thought in my head was: If we flip this thing, how difficult would it be to right it, and get back in?

Would it actually fill with water and sink to the bottom? It was aluminum

Glenn

I'm trying to figure out how the Glenn/Mrs. Glenn canoe adventure will play out. Will it be Glenn paddling away as Mrs. Glenn basks in the sun in the front seat??? Or will it be Mrs. Glenn making some comments from the bow about how Glenn isn't paddling enough/on the wrong side/etc?? :lol: :beer: ;)

HA! Either one is totally possible! I'm thinking a combo of both! :lol:

dork,
From someone who's been there, done that...all on purpose. The canoe will kinda float under water when it's full of water. It will just sort of bob around the surface a bit. It's won't drop like a rock right to the bottom. You'd be able to tug it back to shore. It's a workout, but doable.

SkiDork

HA! Either one is totally possible! I'm thinking a combo of both! :lol:

dork,
From someone who's been there, done that...all on purpose. The canoe will kinda float under water when it's full of water. It will just sort of bob around the surface a bit. It's won't drop like a rock right to the bottom. You'd be able to tug it back to shore. It's a workout, but doable.

so theres not way to right the thing/empty it/get back in? What if it just turns over? Can you right it without swamping it and get back in?

Glenn

If you don't get much water in it, you could get back in. Let's say you tip it, fall out, but the canoe is still upright. That's doable. I'd imagine that happens more often than not. We were intentionally trying to fill it with water. Reminds me....We'd do this in shallow water. Two people in the canoe, 2-3 out of it. The guys on the outisde with roll it over and over and over. While the two in it held on and tried to time their breaths as they rolled in and out of the water. :lol:

jaytrem

so theres not way to right the thing/empty it/get back in? What if it just turns over? Can you right it without swamping it and get back in?

I'd say it's close to impossible unless the canoe is filled with some kind of floatations. Then you might be able to right it and kinda crawl back in from the back. Never tried it in a canoe but it can be done in a kayak. The key is to have enough floatations, but I don't think I ever seen anybody with them in a non-whitewater canoe.

drjeff

If you don't get much water in it, you could get back in. Let's say you tip it, fall out, but the canoe is still upright. That's doable. I'd imagine that happens more often than not. We were intentionally trying to fill it with water. Reminds me....We'd do this in shallow water. Two people in the canoe, 2-3 out of it. The guys on the outisde with roll it over and over and over. While the two in it held on and tried to time their breaths as they rolled in and out of the water. :lol:

Glenn, I'll buy you a case of either Mich Ultra or PBR if you unknowing to Mrs Glenn roll the canoe of your maiden voyage this weekend! :) :lol: :beer: You can then blame it all on me, and I'm pretty sure that she'll believe you 110%! :)

gorgonzola

good luck with the new boat - looks nice! I bought an aluminum 17' canoe on a whim off ebay a few years back and we've had a blast with it over the years, probaly get out 4-5 times a year on the local lakes and rivers

tjf67

question about canoes: We did some canoeing this past weekend, first time in quite a while (ever?) They seem very tippy side to side. Took me a while to get used to it.

The over-riding thought in my head was: If we flip this thing, how difficult would it be to right it, and get back in?

Would it actually fill with water and sink to the bottom? It was aluminum

If you have life vest on or are a super swimmer you can do it. Put it on its side and pick/slide it out of the water, Very Hard. You only get 1/3 of the water out before you flip right side up. Then if you have a pale you can bail the rest of it out or slap as much out with your hand. Then getting back in is the trick. Flip it over again in it really gets exhausting.

SkiDork

If you have life vest on or are a super swimmer you can do it. Put it on its side and pick/slide it out of the water, Very Hard. You only get 1/3 of the water out before you flip right side up. Then if you have a pale you can bail the rest of it out or slap as much out with your hand. Then getting back in is the trick. Flip it over again in it really gets exhausting.

thanks. How easy are they to flip? I felt it oscillating side to side and got scared so I tried to maintain a still position so as not to get anywhere near a possible point of no return. But was I just being a wuss? Can you tilt them pretty good before they go over?

Glenn

Glenn, I'll buy you a case of either Mich Ultra or PBR if you unknowing to Mrs Glenn roll the canoe of your maiden voyage this weekend! :) :lol: :beer: You can then blame it all on me, and I'm pretty sure that she'll believe you 110%! :)

LMAO! She'd be mighty PO'd at me! :lol: Maybe she'll roll it. But it would still probably end up being my fault.

amf

One word of advice... don't call those things you hold in your hands to propel the boat "oars"... its a mark of a real gaper! :-D

bigbog

Nice Glenn! ...drjeff's rolling first weekend out......rotfl... With any form of plastic, if you want a hull that won't oilcan, it's usually made as a sandwich of materials = heavy to lift = one reason for many composite boat's pricing.

Use the two-wheeled carts..the cart can handle one end...just picking up one end and pulling is nice over carrying the old fashioned way if you're not experienced at that. Really makes extinct the "Thank you sir may I have another"..lol.
The weight makes the canoe worthwhile in the water = it's not a slow barge!
Keep your upperbody over the keelline and stay loose in the hips.. I think you'll find the boat a lot more quiet(stable) that in order to paddle tandem with Mrs....pick up some ½" to 1" med. density pieces of foam for the both of you to kneel on = getting weight lower will add a lot of stability when paddling. The painful part of kneeling is not getting some foam ankle blocks to rest on. Just placing shoe/sandal toes on hull floor when kneeling is a killer on one's feet...that's where the pain resides that everyone relates to kneeling. One whole block of thin foam with both kneeling pads and ankle blocks glued on is great...it's just one piece of foam to carry, just throw the darn thing in, step in, and paddle away..
Once you two get comfortable in it....you'll enjoy it. Fwiw..it's also a good length to paddle solo.
Sorry about rambling..I do a little teaching...fwiw(lol)(not my lifelong goal..lol, but started eons ago). Aside from getting your paddling strokes together(ie traveling in straight line)....that's just about it

Last edited: