Tragic truck race accident - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    You guys should drink more coffee before heading out on teh intarwebz.
    Or drink more beer. I forget which.
    Both. I find I need the stimulant to counter act the depressant. It's a happy circle, really.

    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    So it is the spectators that need to use a little common sense.
    Thanks to lawyers, that's in short supply these days.

    "I tried to eat my blender while it was running"

    "Well, I see here.... they say not to use it in a bathtub and not to stick your hand in it. Nothing in the manual about eating it. I'll draft up some papers. I smell a winner. Remember, I only get paid if you win. Is your name really Bobby Filet?"
    SoVT

  3. #13
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,394
    Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    You guys should drink more coffee before heading out on teh intarwebz.
    Or drink more beer. I forget which.
    I hope it's beer, I don't drink coffee...
    Brian

  4. #14
    mondeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    E. Hartford, CT
    Posts
    4,431
    Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    You guys should drink more coffee before heading out on teh intarwebz.
    Or drink more beer. I forget which.
    Irish coffee?
    2009-2010:
    Killington: 11/7, 11/21, 12/5, 12/6, 12/10, 12/12, 12/13, 12/22, 12/23, 1/1, 1/2, 1/9, 1/10, 1/23, 1/24 (15)

    Ski Sundown: 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/24, 12/30, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 1/11 - 1/22, 1/26-1/30 (27)
    EH XC: 12/21 (1)
    WNY XC/NELSAP BC: 12/29 (1)

    Total: 44

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mondeo View Post
    Irish coffee?
    Hold the coffee.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Thanks to lawyers, that's in short supply these days.

    "I tried to eat my blender while it was running"

    "Well, I see here.... they say not to use it in a bathtub and not to stick your hand in it. Nothing in the manual about eating it. I'll draft up some papers. I smell a winner. Remember, I only get paid if you win. Is your name really Bobby Filet?"
    He would only smell a winner if there was precedent, and if he has precedent its because a jury created it. And if Americans don't like the precedent their juries are setting, then maybe the correct sentiment when called to jury duty shouldn't be the almost universal "Oh sh!t! How do I get out of this?" and should instead be "I shall serve honorably."

    Unless a case meets the definition of a frivolous lawsuit (as established by Federal law and I believe State law in almost every State), blaming the lawyer for representing a client who wants to bring such a case is ignorant. The lawyer is just filling the demand created by the prospect of a big pay day, which prospect is the result of prior decisions. If the payday were always a prospect, people would certainly continue to bring such fantastical suits and represent themselves even if we could get rid of the lawyers altogether. And if you think our justice system is slow and inefficient now, without lawyers, it would become a nightmare much worse than what we have now. The more inefficient it becomes, the more expensive it is for the taxpayer.
    "Skiing's the easy part, Karl."

  7. #17
    Trekchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reno - North Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    3,131
    I was the insurance communications officer (ICO) for a motorcycle club that holds races, for 14 years.

    I was(still am) amazed at how much WE have to protect the idiots from themselves.

    I'm also amazed at the lack of risk management that some race series put into place, such as the one we're talking about.

    I train my dog to stay out of the road, so why wouldn't I stay clear of a speeding vehicle?
    Building a quiver is just foreplay for snowgasms

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywbigred View Post
    He would only smell a winner if there was precedent, and if he has precedent its because a jury created it. And if Americans don't like the precedent their juries are setting, then maybe the correct sentiment when called to jury duty shouldn't be the almost universal "Oh sh!t! How do I get out of this?" and should instead be "I shall serve honorably."

    Unless a case meets the definition of a frivolous lawsuit (as established by Federal law and I believe State law in almost every State), blaming the lawyer for representing a client who wants to bring such a case is ignorant. The lawyer is just filling the demand created by the prospect of a big pay day, which prospect is the result of prior decisions. If the payday were always a prospect, people would certainly continue to bring such fantastical suits and represent themselves even if we could get rid of the lawyers altogether. And if you think our justice system is slow and inefficient nkow, without lawyers, it would become a nightmare much worse than what we have now. The more inefficient it becomes, the more expensive it is for the taxpayer.
    Is that why do all the leading advertising on tv? There are a lot of noble attornies and many more that are not.

    As far as jury duty goes I don't have the desire to be dicked around for a week with nothing firm scheduled. Then tol get examined as to whether I would be good for the case.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by tjf67 View Post
    Is that why do all the leading advertising on tv? There are a lot of noble attornies and many more that are not.

    As far as jury duty goes I don't have the desire to be dicked around for a week with nothing firm scheduled. Then tol get examined as to whether I would be good for the case.
    I am not sure what you are saying here. There are usually a handful of attorneys per region that advertise on TV. You see the same faces, and usually they have cheesy commercials that you get to know quickly. These attorneys are never "leading" attorneys. They are looking for clients, but they still have no case and there would be no ads without the precedent set by prior juries.

    Your attitude towards jury duty is what I am talking about. How can we ever get a "jury of our peers" if everyone thinks the process sucks? My only solution is to pay people more for their time so that they take it more seriously, but this is one of those solutions that everyone likes on paper but will never be carried out. Like paying teachers more!
    "Skiing's the easy part, Karl."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.