• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mt. Loop Info

CMassDudeBro

Hey guys, I am new on the forum and I have a few questions about the Stratton Mt. Loop in Vermont:

1.) What's the difficulty?
2.) Do I have to stealth camp?
3.) Parking?
4.) Any other info or resource that might be helpful in planning.

Thanks for the anticipated help.

mlctvt

I'm not sure this is the loop you're talking about but my wife and I did a loop that starts on Stratton- Arlington road. You park in the trailhead parking lot for Appalachian Trail which goes directly to Stratton peak. The instead of returning to your car the same way you came up you can take the Stratton Ponds loop to return to Stratton Arlington road. The trail comes out on Stratton Arlington road about ½ to ¾ mile further in from where you left your car.
Stratton peak is nice if it's a good visibility day. There's a fire tower on the peak that allows you to get higher than the trees for 360 degree views. Stratton pond is an incredibly beautiful area, which is why this is one of our favorite hikes. We'll be doing it again next month when we're on vacation.

See this website http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~wilsonm/hiking/stratton.html

We did Day-hike 2 and it wasn’t too difficult

mlctvt

On second look we actually did the entire 12.5 mile in one day and we didn't leave until mid-late morning.
The extra mile to / from stratton pond is well worth it. Actually the highlight of the trip.