• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington is going to open before Sunday River this season.

Riverskier

Agree with Bob R, competition is good. Personally I don't even care if they do open before Sunday River. As long as Sunday River continues to open as soon as possible, I am happy. That said, I just don't see this happening. This is the same company that closed a week earlier than promised to try and save a couple bucks. Closed on a Saturday to avoid a new payroll cycle. The stories go on, but now they are going to blow several hundred thousand dollars worth of snow in October, run 2 lifts, and make their paying customers walk up a massive staircase in ski boots carrying skis? I just don't see it, but time will tell......

millerm277

The stories go on, but now they are going to blow several hundred thousand dollars worth of snow in October, run 2 lifts, and make their paying customers walk up a massive staircase in ski boots carrying skis? I just don't see it, but time will tell......

A 750ft walk with some stairs, isn't particularly difficult, especially if you're only doing it once or twice a day to go back to the peak. Hell, if they want, they could probably even charge people $1 and run a snowmobile to bring their equipment back up for them. (Obviously you couldn't with the people, for liability reasons.)

Anyway, killington HAS been making plenty of snow up there early the past few seasons, and then just letting it melt while they can't make snow to the bottom.

Vortex

Riverskier no secret where you and I are going.:razz:

Be good for the entire sport if more places open early and closed late. I skied late season for a few years with the K crew. Good bunch of people who tail gate well.:beer:

Early season I think is a more regional thing. ie mostly pass holders and locals. A few k people came over to the River last year early season, but not in large masses. Opening early helps at trade shows and booking of ski vacations and Season pass sales. We were open since..... We closed then. Must be a good place to ski.

I am confident I will ski early and late Season on my pass. Sounds like Vermont will too.

Riverskier

A 750ft walk with some stairs, isn't particularly difficult, especially if you're only doing it once or twice a day to go back to the peak. Hell, if they want, they could probably even charge people $1 and run a snowmobile to bring their equipment back up for them. (Obviously you couldn't with the people, for liability reasons.)

Anyway, killington HAS been making plenty of snow up there early the past few seasons, and then just letting it melt while they can't make snow to the bottom.

Just don't see it happening. Obviously I have no idea though, and truly hope they make it happen. Again, time will tell...

bigbob

I have a season pass to both places, so it just comes down to do I drive 130 miles east or west.

I wonder if they will let us bring our own snowmobiles??

neil

I will be amazed if Killington opens before SR. Amazed.

jerryg

That walkway will come in handy when it's actually built. Hey, maybe they can connect K-ton and Pico... :fangun:

snoseek

That walkway will come in handy when it's actually built. Hey, maybe they can connect K-ton and Pico... :fangun:

Comletely off topic, I don't even know what this thread is about but what days are you at the river this winter. I'm going to maybe (gasp) be skiing Sundays along with mondays and maybe some other random midweek day. I'm actually pretty stoked to spend the winter back here!!!:spread:

O.K. carry on with whatever this thread is about.....

bigbob

Comletely off topic, I don't even know what this thread is about but what days are you at the river this winter. I'm going to maybe (gasp) be skiing Sundays along with mondays and maybe some other random midweek day. I'm actually pretty stoked to spend the winter back here!!!:spread:

Sundays are usually less crowded than Saturdays. At Sunday River, if all the lifts are running, crowds usually thin out with the exception of Lift #1 and the Chondola, which have lines.
Are you living in Epping yet?

jerryg

Like Bigbob said, Sunday are not bust at SR except for perhaps vacation weeks. I ski weekends and some Fridays and Wednesdays at SR. SR isn't nearly as busy is I recall it being, but over the years, people really have learned to spread out and pick a pod. I still stay away from the Barker Quad on weekend days. It'll be good to see ya!

Vortex

snowseek pm sent.

I never understand how so many people at Sunday River don't work 5 days a week. ow big time jealousy. Jerry are you allowed a big boy pass this year?:grin:

I doubt I will miss a weekend this year after November.

I take 3 weeks off in the season usually, and it works out that I end up taking a 3 day weekend every other weekend. I usually take Friday when its not a holiday and all the Holiday time falls on a Monday.

snoseek

Sundays are usually less crowded than Saturdays. At Sunday River, if all the lifts are running, crowds usually thin out with the exception of Lift #1 and the Chondola, which have lines.
Are you living in Epping yet?

I'm a fan of White Cap anyway, it never used to get too bad over there. I'm in Epping/Lee most of the time. Actually I'm working most of the time lol.

Off to work now in fact....

thetrailboss

Staff member
The last time I went into the White Cap Lodge (which was 2007...I did not use it this season) I was stunned as to how shopworn it was.

snowmonster

Welcome back to the East, snoseek! The tube park at Sunday River misses you!

TB, I agree that White Cap is showing its age and needs some work. Too bad because I used to ski out of that lodge a lot.

bigbob

We used to start at White Cap also, but now start out of South Ridge. White cap was getting all the busloads of high school kids or when a race was going on, all the racers. With the redundant bars and the stage, the lodge is pretty small for booting up in the AM, somewhat of a zoo!

mondeo

Wuh...what's going on here? I'm confused. It seems like a Killington thread's been hijacked and turned into a Sunday River thread.

Bizarro AZ?

snoseek

Wuh...what's going on here? I'm confused. It seems like a Killington thread's been hijacked and turned into a Sunday River thread.

Bizarro AZ?

I still have not a clue what the thread was about but I assume it would only go downhill fast.

That said the skiers at Sunday River are an awesome crew along with everyone that works there. I'm actually super stoked to make it my home mountain this winter along with a couple 10 day western safaris

mondeo

I still have not a clue what the thread was about but I assume it would only go downhill fast.

That said the skiers at Sunday River are an awesome crew along with everyone that works there. I'm actually super stoked to make it my home mountain this winter along with a couple 10 day western safaris
Ah, I guess it's actually not all that clear. Killington filed for a permit for a walkway from the top of the Glades/North Ridge triple to the gondola, which would allow them to open with snowmaking only down to ~3400 feet instead of ~2400 feet and avoid the nasty Eastern exposure coming back to the gondola at the bottom. As they have been right on the heels of Sunday River the last few years in opening, and this should buy them a window for opening with temperatures around 5 degrees warmer than going down to the gondola, with the walkway Sunday River needs a weird weather pattern to have even a shot at being able to open before Killington can.

Of course, if Killington builds it and then doesn't use it, then all hell will break loose.

Newpylong

Where Sunday River lacks in height they almost make up for in geography. Even if K does use the stairs they wouldn't be a shoe-in.

Let's not forget the early openings at SR are not exactly a new thing. Historically they have opened in October when Killington has as well. I believe in 96 they were open on 10/4, just after the Big K opened. But in those days everyone assumed Killington would be first so no one really fought them for the rights.

Ah, I guess it's actually not all that clear. Killington filed for a permit for a walkway from the top of the Glades/North Ridge triple to the gondola, which would allow them to open with snowmaking only down to ~3400 feet instead of ~2400 feet and avoid the nasty Eastern exposure coming back to the gondola at the bottom. As they have been right on the heels of Sunday River the last few years in opening, and this should buy them a window for opening with temperatures around 5 degrees warmer than going down to the gondola, with the walkway Sunday River needs a weird weather pattern to have even a shot at being able to open before Killington can.

Of course, if Killington builds it and then doesn't use it, then all hell will break loose.