• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington is going to open before Sunday River this season.

Puck it

This is going to be in the way of both headwalls. This is really starting to sound like a stupid idea.

Highway Star

This is going to be in the way of both headwalls. This is really starting to sound like a stupid idea.

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/...tion Costs - Peak Walkway & Hut Relocates.pdf

Description​

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]This project consists of constructing a raised 4' wide 750' railed walkway from the top of the North Ridge Triple lift to the K1 Gondola terminal. The pressure treated matted walkway with long flat sections and sporadic sections of stairs will provide early season access to upper level skiing and riding. The walk will take approximately 5 to 8 minutes and can be utilized for hikers and K1 Gondola guests in the summer. The route of this walkway follows an existing trail and will require no cutting of trees along it's route. [/FONT][/FONT]​

I'm a bit curious how far this will be above the ground and if it will use concrete footings. I would have to assume that the sections that cross the headwalls and catwalk would either be covered in snow or removed during the winter.

Highway Star

This just proves it is a stupid idea. What abot the handrails. How are you suppose to get over those to get to the headwalls?

Removeable? Or if it's less than a foot off the ground they don't need them at all right there?

drjeff

Removeable? Or if it's less than a foot off the ground they don't need them at all right there?

Is this litengous era, especially with something like this where it's not unreasonable to expect that someone using that walkway in the summer will be somewhat elderly and of questionable stability on dry, flat ground, let alone on the side of a mountain that could be wet from rain/morning dew/etc, I'd imagine that atleast on the downhill side of the walkway there would be a railing.

Removeable wise, it could possibly be like some alpine slide track that crosses a ski trail, where each segment can be pre-assembled and removed/inserted into place when needed in its entirety

Puck it

Is this litengous era, especially with something like this where it's not unreasonable to expect that someone using that walkway in the summer will be somewhat elderly and of questionable stability on dry, flat ground, let alone on the side of a mountain that could be wet from rain/morning dew/etc, I'd imagine that atleast on the downhill side of the walkway there would be a railing.

Removeable wise, it could possibly be like some alpine slide track that crosses a ski trail, where each segment can be pre-assembled and removed/inserted into place when needed in its entirety

The rocks in that area all ready make it difficult to keep snow in that area. Now add a walkway. They will have to blow a ton of extra snow to keep it covered. It all ready takes lots of snow to open up the traverse.

It sounds like it is going to be a pain in the arse!

Highway Star

The rocks in that area all ready make it difficult to keep snow in that area. Now add a walkway. They will have to blow a ton of extra snow to keep it covered. It all ready takes lots of snow to open up the traverse.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure they have a way planned to maintain the use of Cascade, Downdraft and Catwalk.

However, it doesn't look like Heavenly Traverse will continue to exist as a legal ski trail?

Puck it

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure they have a way planned to maintain the use of Cascade, Downdraft and Catwalk.

However, it doesn't look like Heavenly Traverse will continue to exist as a legal ski trail?

So in order to ski the lower part of Catwalk, one is going to walk to it?

This thing makes sense for the early season but is spelling all kinds of problems for the normal season.

sLoPeS

i would think heavenly traverse will be closed unless it gets burried with enough snow. if there is a removable section for catwalk then i dont think that trail will be an issue. there really isnt much distance from the heavenly traverse/upper downdraft intersection to the top near the peak lodge. upper downdraft headwall shouldnt be affected at all. not sure why u care so much about these 2 worthless ski trails in mid winter when the rest of the mountain is open for business.

mondeo

not sure why u care so much about these 2 worthless ski trails in mid winter when the rest of the mountain is open for business.
Only two issues I see is that Downdraft and Cascade headwalls are the first two interesting trail sections that they open, and Catwalk has some snow quality benefit from altitude and seclusion. But yeah, overall, once the Canyon quad opens, who cares?

Puck it

Only two issues I see is that Downdraft and Cascade headwalls are the first two interesting trail sections that they open, and Catwalk has some snow quality benefit from altitude and seclusion. But yeah, overall, once the Canyon quad opens, who cares?

True. But it is a better way to get there without using GN. I just like taking these and avoiding GN to get to the Canyon Area to lap my favorite stash.

sLoPeS

im sure the entrance to downdraft headwall will be a little skinnier. i would think the stairs will end where that snowmaking pipe cuts across heavenly traverse.

cascade headwall?? are u talking about that section under the gondi? (which i think is permanetly closed)

i think i skied catwalk twice last year....hardly ever worth it IMO.

Puck it

im sure the entrance to downdraft headwall will be a little skinnier. i would think the stairs will end where that snowmaking pipe cuts across heavenly traverse.

cascade headwall?? are u talking about that section under the gondi? (which i think is permanetly closed)

Catwalk is good trail with snow and it gets bumped up and no traffic. I always go under the rope at the Cascade Headwall.

GN can be a cluster F@#$ even on slow days off of K1

mondeo

The map shows it going all the way to the peak lodge. Which if it's close to the ground and not removable won't be a problem mid-season, they can just bury it with a little extra snowmaking. But as long as they need to use it, those trails would be unskiable as you need to keep it a pedestrian walkway the entire way across. Which means they can't blow Downdraft until Bunny Buster's ready, and I'd expect they might want to keep skiing upper mountain only for another week or so after they would blow BB in the past so as to minimize the snowmaking waste, which means intermediate terrain only for a longer period of time. Yeah the headwall isn't much, but it's something. After three weeks of Rime and Reason it might be worth hiking for.

Puck it

The map shows it going all the way to the peak lodge. Which if it's close to the ground and not removable won't be a problem mid-season, they can just bury it with a little extra snowmaking. But as long as they need to use it, those trails would be unskiable as you need to keep it a pedestrian walkway the entire way across. Which means they can't blow Downdraft until Bunny Buster's ready, and I'd expect they might want to keep skiing upper mountain only for another week or so after they would blow BB in the past so as to minimize the snowmaking waste, which means intermediate terrain only for a longer period of time. Yeah the headwall isn't much, but it's something. After three weeks of Rime and Reason it might be worth hiking for.

Or have a section of rail to remove or hop it.

Newpylong

Come on guys, do you obviously think this is going to permanently obstruct both Cascade and Downdraft headwalls for the whole season? It will either:

a) be removable
b) have a small enough foot print so snow can be made easily over it

BTW Slopes, Cascade headwall is not permanently closed, they often make snow on it and it is open fairly early.

sLoPeS

BTW Slopes, Cascade headwall is not permanently closed, they often make snow on it and it is open fairly early.

the top half of that trail gets roped off because of the gondi's getting low to the ground, so what is "open" is about 4 turns worth.

personally, I like to use the word "reserved" rather than "closed"...:grin: