• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Clerk at Kosher Liquor Store in Brooklyn Gunned Down...

Black Phantom

Be careful shopping this weekend...

...trying to protect girlfriend during robbery

A beloved Brooklyn wine store clerk was gunned down Thursday night when he tried to protect his girlfriend, who was being robbed of her jewelry at gunpoint, police and witnesses said.

Yoseph Robinson, 34, took slugs in the chest and arm and died behind the counter of MB Vineyards, a kosher liquor store in Midwood, police said.

"The girl came running out screaming, and I saw him on the floor. She said, 'They shot Yoseph!' said a witness who identified himself as Daniel. "She was with him as he was dying. ... He told her, 'Tell my daughter I love her.'"

A holdup man entered the Nostrand Ave. store about 9:30 p.m. and went after the young woman - identified by friends as Lahava - but were confronted by Robinson, police said.

Friends said Lahava, who was helping Robinson write a book, told them she was joking around and laughing with him when the thug demanded her bling.

Robinson yelled, "Leave her alone" and approached the man. A struggle broke out, and he was shot, said Daniel, recounting Lahava's harrowing tale.

"Yoseph saved me," a badly shaken and weeping Lahava told friends outside the store.

The owner of an adjoining shop said, "I heard screaming, yelling and then the shots."

Robinson was working late because the store remains open till 11 p.m. on Thursdays, the day before the Sabbath. It usually closes at 9:30 p.m., friends said.

Samuel Kauffman, 43, wasn't suprised at Robinson's heroics.

"He would always tell people to be morally strong. He was a role model to all the kids in the neighborhood. He was very spirtual. He inspired all of us."

The bandit fled the shop on foot, and it was unclear if he made off with the jewelry, police said.

More than 50 people from the surrounding Jewish community quickly gathered at the store to mourn Robinson, a popular figure in the neighborhood who had come to the U.S. from Jamaica and recently converted to Judaism.

Robinson, who took lyrics from the Torah and turned them into reggae songs, came to Brooklyn a few years ago after a drug problem short-circuited his music career in Los Angeles.

Robinson wore traditional Orthodox garb in the store and enjoyed telling customers about his "spiritual transformation from drug user and party guy to religious Jew and the book he was writing about the experience," a friend said.

"He was a kind and generous man who talked to all of us. He gave us so much. You had to stop at the store just to hear his stories. He was truly an amazing man," said Tzvi Freund, 25.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...wine_store_rob_sez_gal_pal.html#ixzz0x9ebM6Jk

NYDrew

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

The preamble assures us "life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness. Mr. Robinson had his life and he was pursuing his happiness until he had his liberty taken away by the democracy that is New York.

This Jew carries his liberty on his belt...Liberty has 18 hollow pointed teeth with another 34 on reserve for Democracy's homies.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

The preamble assures us "life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness. Mr. Robinson had his life and he was pursuing his happiness until he had his liberty taken away by the democracy that is New York.

This Jew carries his liberty on his belt...Liberty has 18 hollow pointed teeth with another 34 on reserve for Democracy's homies.

This Jew thinks handguns makes it too easy and quick to kill someone....which increases murders. IMHO, if handguns were outlawed and one had to physically fight and then perhaps stab people with a knife or use other means of blunt force trauma to kill someone, there would be far fewer murders.

bvibert

Staff member
This Jew thinks handguns makes it too easy and quick to kill someone....which increases murders. IMHO, if handguns were outlawed and one had to physically fight and then perhaps stab people with a knife or use other means of blunt force trauma to kill someone, there would be far fewer murders.

Do you think that criminals would stop carrying handguns if they were outlawed??

NYDrew

Marc, ideally I agree with you, but bad people will always find a way to get guns. The only way to stop them is for the general public to legally better armed.

Its written coldly in the crime statistics. Take states that have no/relaxed open/concealed laws. The crime rates, especially cold blooded murder, home invasion and robbery are almost nil. In Vermont, any resident with a clean record can purchase and carry a gun; concealed or open. Criminals are fully aware that your chances of walking away alive are almost zero because your chances of encountering an armed law abiding citizen is almost 100%.

When I first purchased my pistol I was terrified that I might lose my temper and I did have a very short fuse, almost immediately I became I calmer person simply because I wielded an instrument of death that required great responsibility. When it is holstered on my belt I won't even touch it unless I am adjusting it (it can be uncomfortable at times), putting it away at home, unloading it at the request of a store owner OR have decided 110% with no regret that I am going to pull the trigger. I have never violated this rule. (range practice excluded).

ctenidae

Hey, that's my line.

Guns shouldn't be outlawed, but we should all be allowed to carry swords. Make it up close and personal, plus a lot of work.

NYDrew

I did steal it from you. I couldn't remember where I saw it, but it was your profile. I had to google it. Credit to you.

Black Phantom

Marc, ideally I agree with you, but bad people will always find a way to get guns. The only way to stop them is for the general public to legally better armed.

Its written coldly in the crime statistics. Take states that have no/relaxed open/concealed laws. The crime rates, especially cold blooded murder, home invasion and robbery are almost nil. In Vermont, any resident with a clean record can purchase and carry a gun; concealed or open. Criminals are fully aware that your chances of walking away alive are almost zero because your chances of encountering an armed law abiding citizen is almost 100%.

When I first purchased my pistol I was terrified that I might lose my temper and I did have a very short fuse, almost immediately I became I calmer person simply because I wielded an instrument of death that required great responsibility. When it is holstered on my belt I won't even touch it unless I am adjusting it (it can be uncomfortable at times), putting it away at home, unloading it at the request of a store owner OR have decided 110% with no regret that I am going to pull the trigger. I have never violated this rule. (range practice excluded).

Picture-1.png

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

All good points. But society and our rule of law would disintegrate if we all behaved like bad people.