• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tr: Nyc 8.28.2010

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I feel like this should almost go under Hiking trip reports... when I mapped it out, it looks like I walked about 10.5 miles in Manhattan yesterday. :D In any case, some shots from the first time my DSLR has seen NYC. I went into the city to see 3 of the FringeNYC festival shows and did quite a bit of wandering in between. Get to see a lot more of the city on foot than in a subway, after all. :)

Park Ave
4938236516_9eb66b5b48.jpg

radishes at the Union Square farmers' market
4938246572_caf88d8f9d.jpg

one of the theatres I visited downtown
4938255688_8aab9213ae.jpg

urban art
4937676777_4d00568d98.jpg

World Trade Center site (which I happened upon completely by accident)
4938271302_179de54022.jpg

sunset over the Hudson River
4938276104_724501b967.jpg

The rest can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrievibert/sets/72157624708509363/

Warp Daddy

Nice shot -- Luv the Big Apple , My son and his family live in the West 80's a block off the park -- awesome area we really enjoy wandering the various neighborhoods the food, street fairs and architecture is amazing

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Nice shot -- Luv the Big Apple , My son and his family live in the West 80's a block off the park -- awesome area we really enjoy wandering the various neighborhoods the food, street fairs and architecture is amazing
That's the area I need to check next. Haven't been above East 60th St.

Warp Daddy

That's the area I need to check next. Haven't been above East 60th St.

Upper West side is a hoot !! hell we've been in most of the neighborhoods in Manhattan and they are all fun .

We're lucky his BiL owns a stretch limo service and takes us around sometimes --we followed my son in it last time he ran the Marathon , saw him in all 5 boroughs .

But if you haven't done it -- take one of those bus tours around the city -- they're fabulopus we did it last time we were in the City -- its worth it

snoseek

Nice! I freaking love NYC. No other place on earth really!

BeanoNYC

Give a homeboy a shout either here or on Facebook next time you're heading out. I'd love for you to meet the baby.

WakeboardMom

Great pictures, Sev! Thank you for sharing them.

(Photography is on my list of things I need to know more about. Can't wait. : )

Mapnut

Hey Severine, I'm glad (though not surprised) that you didn't include any photos of New York squirrels. (?) I work in the Woolworth Building, and every day in City Hall Park I am amused to see tourists stopping to feed squirrels, take their picture, and generally make a fuss over them. I still wonder, where in the U.S., or even in Europe, can they possibly come from that a squirrel is a novelty?

The World Trade Center site is amazing just now; the whole 20 acres is buzzing with thousands of workers and a dozen cranes. The new One World Trade Center is up about 30 stories and another massive skyscraper is up 4 stories. If you're following the mosque controversy, to me it's absurd to claim that they're going to build a "victory mosque", 13 stories on a quarter acre. What's going on at the Site right now is the indisputable victory.

SkiDork

Hey Severine, I'm glad (though not surprised) that you didn't include any photos of New York squirrels. (?) I work in the Woolworth Building, and every day in City Hall Park I am amused to see tourists stopping to feed squirrels, take their picture, and generally make a fuss over them. I still wonder, where in the U.S., or even in Europe, can they possibly come from that a squirrel is a novelty?

The World Trade Center site is amazing just now; the whole 20 acres is buzzing with thousands of workers and a dozen cranes. The new One World Trade Center is up about 30 stories and another massive skyscraper is up 4 stories. If you're following the mosque controversy, to me it's absurd to claim that they're going to build a "victory mosque", 13 stories on a quarter acre. What's going on at the Site right now is the indisputable victory.

What is the address of the Freedom Tower? Is that 1?

legalskier

Very nice pics, sev! You have a nice eye for composition, color, and light/shadow. Have you ever taken photography lessons? NYC is just a treasure trove for photos; everywhere you turn there's an interesting view. Battery Park looking across to the Statue of Liberty, South Street with the Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park of course, the museums (too many!), Ellis Island, and on and on. When we went to Madame Tussauds a few weeks ago, I wished I'd had a camera. I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did (my wife insisted we go); and it would have been fun to snap some pics by the figures. A few years ago we went to see Christo's "gates," with miles of bright orange drapes contrasting against the dreary gray background of trees and buildings. Very cool.

thegates.jpg

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Very nice pics, sev! You have a nice eye for composition, color, and light/shadow. Have you ever taken photography lessons? NYC is just a treasure trove for photos; everywhere you turn there's an interesting view. Battery Park looking across to the Statue of Liberty, South Street with the Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park of course, the museums (too many!), Ellis Island, and on and on. When we went to Madame Tussauds a few weeks ago, I wished I'd had a camera. I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did (my wife insisted we go); and it would have been fun to snap some pics by the figures. A few years ago we went to see Christo's "gates," with miles of bright orange drapes contrasting against the dreary gray background of trees and buildings. Very cool.

thegates.jpg

Thanks! I took a Photography course my sophomore year in high school but that was many moons ago. I really need to take the time to relearn a lot of the manual settings but it's fun to play around with. :D Beautiful pic that you posted, BTW!

legalskier

Have you heard of Panoramio? I just learned of it. You might post some pics to it so everyone everywhere can see them....
"Panoramio is a geolocation-oriented photo sharing website. Accepted photos uploaded to the site can be accessed as a layer in Google Earth and Google Maps, with new photos being added at the end of every month. The site's goal is to allow Google Earth users to learn more about a given area by viewing the photos that other users have taken at that place...."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panoramio

Rockefeller Center-
168061.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/map/#lt=40.759011&ln=-73.9844722&z=4&k=2