• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice on new skis/boots

Beetlenut

sweet deal. i just checked a local shop here in CT (website) and don't see the Krypton Cross listed, was that boot discontinued?

cover of ski mag says new boots will improve my skiing overnight so now i'm in the mood for boots. .

If it's the same shop that is having a rail jam this weekend they do have the 2011 on display in the store when I was there last week, just don't recall the price(I am positive it wasn't 299 though!).

I checked that shop too and didn't see the Krypton Cross. I intended to get a FullTIlt until I started reading about the Kryptons. I decided the Krypton would suit my skiing needs better over a broader range of terrain. Then I stumbled across that deal at REI. Since I was already an REI member, the deal got even sweeter with free shipping and free fitting at the store! Now where's that snow?

gmcunni

I checked that shop too and didn't see the Krypton Cross. I intended to get a FullTIlt until I started reading about the Kryptons. I decided the Krypton would suit my skiing needs better over a broader range of terrain. Then I stumbled across that deal at REI. Since I was already an REI member, the deal got even sweeter with free shipping and free fitting at the store! Now where's that snow?

down to $263 now... so tempting.. tho i don't know my correct size and that alone scares me away from buying them online.

mondeo

Hmm, my Pros do have 200 days on them (125 equivalent real days.) Could just swap in shims, liners, and footbeds.

gmcunni

I'm a 10.5-11 and a 26.5.

i have diff mod dalbello's, i could probably just go with that size but i fear they are a bit big as i have wide feet. often i ended up slightly too big boots as a result of the width issues....

o3jeff

i have diff mod dalbello's, i could probably just go with that size but i fear they are a bit big as i have wide feet. often i ended up slightly too big boots as a result of the width issues....

Your probably better off spending a few dollars more and buying them locally then so you can get the smaller size and have the shop heat and widen the shell were needed. Most will do free adjustments/tweeking for a year.

gmcunni

Your probably better off spending a few dollars more and buying them locally then so you can get the smaller size and have the shop heat and widen the shell were needed. Most will do free adjustments/tweeking for a year.

i agree, if i could find them for a "few" dollars more locally i'd be buying myself a nice little columbus day present.

Madroch

IIRC the Kryptons run (or at least used to) a little long length wise (bootboard I think)-- about 5mm per shell size. I wear a size 8.5 - 9 shoe, and the 25.5 Krypton was noticeably longer than other models when I tried them on a few years ago. That being said, my issue was narrow feet and the 98mm last on the Krypton was too wide-- so I am in a 92mm last (bone crunching for most normal feet). The width is such an issue that the 25.5 with the 92mm last fit me fine, even better than the 24.5 boots with wider lasts that I tried, despite the wee bit of extra toe room I have due to the 25.5 length. As I don't know much about feet or boots, I suspect various other factors affect this fit as well- instep height, arch, yada yada yada. Bootfitters are key.

jack97

sweet deal. i just checked a local shop here in CT (website) and don't see the Krypton Cross listed, was that boot discontinued?

cover of ski mag says new boots will improve my skiing overnight so now i'm in the mood for boots. .

Hmmm.... according to their web site, the Krypton Cross is still available. An alternative is the Rampage. Both have the same flex 90-120, I think the Rampage has a heel cushion, different shell material and liner.

bigbog

I once had a similar experience = when either out of stock or unstocked of the said boot, a shop posted up on their individual website that the boot is not being sold this season...ha...answer = just not "At that shop!". ...and as jack97 said...some boots are just tweaked with new name.

jack97

tried on the cross today, the 98mm too narrow for me. 103mm (like my p8s) is my sweet spot.

Without sounding like I'm pimping the brands......

Dabello has wider last versions; Axions at 103 mm, this is still a three peice Cabrio design but has the tradition four buckles. Full Tilt has the Influence at 102 mm, this just came out so most places may not carry them.

Hmm..... seems I'm pimping the three peice design instead :-?

gmcunni

Without sounding like I'm pimping the brands......

Dabello has wider last versions; Axions at 103 mm, this is still a three peice Cabrio design but has the tradition four buckles. Full Tilt has the Influence at 102 mm, this just came out so most places may not carry them.

Hmm..... seems I'm pimping the three peice design instead :-?

i tried on the Axion 10 with ID liner as well.. very nice but it was just a bit outside my price range.. the cross i was looking at was last year's model with a steep discount.

gmcunni

Come on, if bvibert foot fits in the crosses your should too

in all honesty, i was thinking the same thing. BV has mentioned in the past having a wide foot so when i saw the Cross on sale i immediately thought it might be an option for me as i too have a wide foot.

i suspect the difference is the cross i tried on has the true-fit liner vs BV's cross with the ID liner. i heard from reliable source that the Cross ID liner is a less dense and can be worked to accommodate a wider foot compared to the ID on the pro or the True-fit.

the axion 10 with ID has been calling my name all weekend..... i'm trying to resist but

o3jeff

I think the ID liner is the key element in the Kryptons. I know B had some shell done on them, but skidmarks was able to get him in them and he also got Carrie into a boot a FEW sizes too small for her.

bigbog

i tried on the Axion 10 with ID liner as well.. very nice but it was just a bit outside my price range.. the cross i was looking at was last year's model with a steep discount.
I would've looked forward to trying that boot, but it appears that they start at a 25 shell...:evil:, very often a little too big.....