• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whitefish, MT anyone?

RISkier

Starting to look at various trips for the upcoming winter. Not even sure we'll venture out of New England this year. We've talked a bit about Banff and I've been looking at Whitefish Mountain Resort. Curious if any of you have visited and your thoughts.

tarponhead

Haven't been there in the winter, only the summer (fishing). Go to Epic and do a search. Sibhusky has a lot of posts describing the place. Looks massive. On my "to-do" list for sure.

amf

Whitefish Luv

I was there last year & loved it. We went late march, during one of the least snowiest winters ever. Hellroaring Basin, which has some great skiing, normally closes April 1 for grizz but closed earlier it was so warm. Its a must do if you go. The entire main face to lift right as you ride the main lift to the summit has some great terrain, and there is a little surface lift to skiers left if you exit right off the summit lift that only runs weekends and gives access to some lightly tracked powder stashes.

It has a rep for heavy fog off the lakes, but we never had any. It was so warm, however, that the main face would be an icy nightmare in the morning. The back side, however, always skiied sweet and you could come around to the main face after it softened in the afternoon.

I'd go back in a heartbeat!

amf

dbking

The place formally known as Big Mountain has some nice terrain. Go there in the middle of the winter. It's relatively low altitude means that it can be hit or miss after the second week of feb. From Whitefish, Mt., which is a lot of fun at night with good places to eat and drink, you can head up over the border to Fernie or Castle Mt. Not long drives. The scenery of Glacier Nat. Park is spectacular.
The skiing is not extreme by any measure but the place has some wonderful tree skiing and Zero liftlines. The locals are easy to party with.

RISkier

I was there last year & loved it. We went late march, during one of the least snowiest winters ever. Hellroaring Basin, which has some great skiing, normally closes April 1 for grizz but closed earlier it was so warm. Its a must do if you go. The entire main face to lift right as you ride the main lift to the summit has some great terrain, and there is a little surface lift to skiers left if you exit right off the summit lift that only runs weekends and gives access to some lightly tracked powder stashes.

It has a rep for heavy fog off the lakes, but we never had any. It was so warm, however, that the main face would be an icy nightmare in the morning. The back side, however, always skiied sweet and you could come around to the main face after it softened in the afternoon.

I'd go back in a heartbeat!

amf

Work schedules basically dictate that any Western trip this year would be relatively late March. Your post basically confirms what I've been able to find online. That the altitude and aspect of the front face means you'll often have spring conditions in March. And everything I read also indicates it's a very fun town. I suspect we'd really like it. Two years ago we stayed in NE and mostly had very warm weather that week. I recall it being close to 70 one day at Stowe. Many of blacks were closed cause they were so icy. Riding lifts you could see that blue ice you can almost read through. So is there a lot of skiing on the back side? I've also read that it's a 360 degree mountain and while the front side gets icy and then turns to corn the back side is much less effected. Definitely a place I'd like to visit. Thanks much for your comments.

dbking, that's consistent with what I've read and is my biggest concern about planning a March trip there.

rtibbs4

Website
www.basecampmountsnow.com
We've talked a bit about Banff

We did the Banff area a few years ago. Stayed at three different areas. Had a great time and the views are phenomenal everywhere. Ironically we didn't ski the smaller area in Banff which we regretted. Banff, Lake Louise and Sunshine are very close together. Kicking Horse, I think, was a little more than an hour away.

Sunshine: Overall fun area with lots of intermediate terrain. We stayed in the hotel on the mountain which you need the gondola to get to. If you do stay there you are isolated on top of the mountain at night but that was a lot of fun.

Lake Louise: Unfortunately L.L. didn't have the snow needed to ski some of it's back bowls but it did have some great glades on the front which reminded us of Jay Peak. Lots of varied terrain.

Kicking Horse: You need to be up for a challenge here. You always feel like you are in the fall line. The place is STEEP. They get great snow but in my opinion it's not a place for a relaxing or family ski day. I was toast by 2pm.

If you want to know anything specific, let me know.