WTB: Volkl Supersport 6 Stars 175cm - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Those Progressor 9s look really cool... Evo has used at three bills after the current discount promotion. A little more than I had planned on spending but tempting...

Wish I had a chance to try them. Hate to spend money on stuff that will only have marginal use without having any first hand experience.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Those Progressor 9s look really cool...
    I'm very happy with them. I had them and the Ripsticks with me at the Summit. I skied the Ripsticks at Saddleback and then switched to the Progressor at Sugarloaf. I had no desire to switch back. The Ripsticks do perform better in the bumps.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    I'm very happy with them. I had them and the Ripsticks with me at the Summit. I skied the Ripsticks at Saddleback and then switched to the Progressor at Sugarloaf. I had no desire to switch back. The Ripsticks do perform better in the bumps.
    Well, that confirms then that I do not want the Ripsticks and I wish WJenness well with them! If there are bumps, I'll be on my 8000s. Strictly a groomer duty ski I am shopping for so better in the bumps reads to me that they would be worse on the hard pack.

I am holding off. $300 used still is too much to pay for a ski that will see minimal usage. And when new skis have been offered late season for $500, I think even $300 is a bit much to swallow for a beat up demo ski with demo binders, especially a ski I have never tried before.
    -Steve

Well, that confirms then that I do not want the Ripsticks and I wish WJenness well with them! If there are bumps, I'll be on my 8000s. Strictly a groomer duty ski I am shopping for so better in the bumps reads to me that they would be worse on the hard pack.
    Don't get me wrong, it's still a ripping groomer ski. The 66mm waist is just quicker and it has 1 sheet of titanium instead of 2. I do have some race stock Racetigers I'm thinking about unloading too, 185's, if you really want a groomer ... too long for me and using in a NASTAR course.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

^^ that's more the kind of thing I was thinking Steve might dig. I know and understand the preference for something you've skied before, but racers are always unloading 1-2 yr old skis cheap. While they may have been ground and seen files more often than a regular stick, they've usually got far fewer miles than a used consumer ski and bases are usually immaculate.

Plus they should rip on the hardpack.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    ^^ that's more the kind of thing I was thinking Steve might dig. I know and understand the preference for something you've skied before, but racers are always unloading 1-2 yr old skis cheap. While they may have been ground and seen files more often than a regular stick, they've usually got far fewer miles than a used consumer ski and bases are usually immaculate.

Plus they should rip on the hardpack.
    Yea, I had considered a GS race ski like the Racetiger or RC4 or something like that. There is a big difference between a true race ski and a cheater ski. The cheater ski lineups have a ton more "pop" and are not quite at the same demand level. Sidecut differences too due to FIS rules. I am looking for a one trick pony but not one that I have to really work at. Still considering going that route but would prefer my original plan.

Horrible time of year to be looking for skis. Demand is high and supply is low since most businesses and peers sold off unneeded stuff at the end of last season and into the summer.

wa-loaf's 185 would be too long for me regardless.
    Last edited by riverc0il; Sep 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM.
    -Steve

wa-loaf's 185 would be too long for me regardless.
    depends. you're plenty strong enough to throw something that size around. but if you want quick edge to edge rather than big gs turns it's gonna take more work. I'm far less intimidated by length than I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    depends. you're plenty strong enough to throw something that size around. but if you want quick edge to edge rather than big gs turns it's gonna take more work. I'm far less intimidated by length than I used to be.
    I used to race on 198cm boards (not straight skis either) so I know I can throw around that length ski from experience. The question is what is optimal though. A lot depends on the ski characteristics. For example, with the six star I want a 175cm. When I raced at Pats, I picked up a 175cm P50 Motion to replace my older 183cm of the same ski. The 175cm was too little under foot for me. But with the beefier six star, the 175 is perfect. Race stock gets even beefier still. So if I can handle a 175cm cheater ski, I doubt the next step up in race stock is going to ski as well in a longer length. A softer powder ski, no problem. Also, even though I am going for a GS carver type ski, I still want enough versatility to mix in some smaller turns. Race stock GS ski is as one dimensional as a mogul ski and I won't get that versatility.
    -Steve

You are a year to late Steve. I gave away my old six stars to one of my wifes coworkers last summer. They had a lot of miles on them though.
    skiing is not just an activity, it is a lifestyle!

Hubby has 175s, but I don't know if he's willing to give them up.....I'll ask.

Thread Information