• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WTB: Volkl Supersport 6 Stars 175cm

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Those Progressor 9s look really cool... Evo has used at three bills after the current discount promotion. A little more than I had planned on spending but tempting...

Wish I had a chance to try them. Hate to spend money on stuff that will only have marginal use without having any first hand experience.

wa-loaf

Those Progressor 9s look really cool...

I'm very happy with them. I had them and the Ripsticks with me at the Summit. I skied the Ripsticks at Saddleback and then switched to the Progressor at Sugarloaf. I had no desire to switch back. The Ripsticks do perform better in the bumps.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm very happy with them. I had them and the Ripsticks with me at the Summit. I skied the Ripsticks at Saddleback and then switched to the Progressor at Sugarloaf. I had no desire to switch back. The Ripsticks do perform better in the bumps.
Well, that confirms then that I do not want the Ripsticks and I wish WJenness well with them! If there are bumps, I'll be on my 8000s. Strictly a groomer duty ski I am shopping for so better in the bumps reads to me that they would be worse on the hard pack.

I am holding off. $300 used still is too much to pay for a ski that will see minimal usage. And when new skis have been offered late season for $500, I think even $300 is a bit much to swallow for a beat up demo ski with demo binders, especially a ski I have never tried before.

wa-loaf

Well, that confirms then that I do not want the Ripsticks and I wish WJenness well with them! If there are bumps, I'll be on my 8000s. Strictly a groomer duty ski I am shopping for so better in the bumps reads to me that they would be worse on the hard pack.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a ripping groomer ski. The 66mm waist is just quicker and it has 1 sheet of titanium instead of 2. I do have some race stock Racetigers I'm thinking about unloading too, 185's, if you really want a groomer ... too long for me and using in a NASTAR course.

roark

^^ that's more the kind of thing I was thinking Steve might dig. I know and understand the preference for something you've skied before, but racers are always unloading 1-2 yr old skis cheap. While they may have been ground and seen files more often than a regular stick, they've usually got far fewer miles than a used consumer ski and bases are usually immaculate.

Plus they should rip on the hardpack.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
^^ that's more the kind of thing I was thinking Steve might dig. I know and understand the preference for something you've skied before, but racers are always unloading 1-2 yr old skis cheap. While they may have been ground and seen files more often than a regular stick, they've usually got far fewer miles than a used consumer ski and bases are usually immaculate.

Plus they should rip on the hardpack.
Yea, I had considered a GS race ski like the Racetiger or RC4 or something like that. There is a big difference between a true race ski and a cheater ski. The cheater ski lineups have a ton more "pop" and are not quite at the same demand level. Sidecut differences too due to FIS rules. I am looking for a one trick pony but not one that I have to really work at. Still considering going that route but would prefer my original plan.

Horrible time of year to be looking for skis. Demand is high and supply is low since most businesses and peers sold off unneeded stuff at the end of last season and into the summer.

wa-loaf's 185 would be too long for me regardless.

Last edited:

roark

wa-loaf's 185 would be too long for me regardless.

depends. you're plenty strong enough to throw something that size around. but if you want quick edge to edge rather than big gs turns it's gonna take more work. I'm far less intimidated by length than I used to be.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
depends. you're plenty strong enough to throw something that size around. but if you want quick edge to edge rather than big gs turns it's gonna take more work. I'm far less intimidated by length than I used to be.
I used to race on 198cm boards (not straight skis either) so I know I can throw around that length ski from experience. The question is what is optimal though. A lot depends on the ski characteristics. For example, with the six star I want a 175cm. When I raced at Pats, I picked up a 175cm P50 Motion to replace my older 183cm of the same ski. The 175cm was too little under foot for me. But with the beefier six star, the 175 is perfect. Race stock gets even beefier still. So if I can handle a 175cm cheater ski, I doubt the next step up in race stock is going to ski as well in a longer length. A softer powder ski, no problem. Also, even though I am going for a GS carver type ski, I still want enough versatility to mix in some smaller turns. Race stock GS ski is as one dimensional as a mogul ski and I won't get that versatility.

Terry

You are a year to late Steve. I gave away my old six stars to one of my wifes coworkers last summer. They had a lot of miles on them though.

volklgirl

Hubby has 175s, but I don't know if he's willing to give them up.....I'll ask.

Shock

Best of luck finding some! I bought some last year off of Craigslist as my first shaped ski. I learned a lot on my pair. I don't think I could sell them though, I'm attached to my pair.

Steve,
I've got a mint pair of Supersport AllStars (year after the 6 speed...06/07 I think) 182cm, skied on less than a season...probably ten days. Yours for $250...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Steve,
I've got a mint pair of Supersport AllStars (year after the 6 speed...06/07 I think) 182cm, skied on less than a season...probably ten days. Yours for $250...
Thanks for the offer! If the Allstars are anything like the six stars, the 175 is going to be perfect and the 182 might be over kill. If the Allstars are softer than the six stars, the 182cm would be the ticket.

In either case, I am already working on a deal for a 175cm six star that I plan to pull the trigger on. I'll keep you posted if that does not go through.

Thanks for the offer! If the Allstars are anything like the six stars, the 175 is going to be perfect and the 182 might be over kill. If the Allstars are softer than the six stars, the 182cm would be the ticket.

In either case, I am already working on a deal for a 175cm six star that I plan to pull the trigger on. I'll keep you posted if that does not go through.

its alot like the 6 star, just 70mm under foot instead of 68mm. I had a 175 6 star before...gave them to my cousin. The 175 was a little too turn shape specific for me while the 182 lets me mix up the turn shape a little more...but I tend to lean towards a longer length anyway. The longer length tends to feel softer overall to me...like when you put a 8' 2x4 on your shoulder vs a 16' 2x4...more flex out of the 16'er when you walk. If the deal falls through let me know, my cousin still has the 6 stars and has only skied a season on them before he got a pair of 12' tigersharks. Or just go find yourself a pair of Progressor 9s!

skidmarks

Have some consignment Fischer P-9s at the shop for $350.00. "Coaches Ski" in great shape.
I'm also selling my 09/10 Elan GSX Waveflex 170CM that have some Monday Night racing miles on them.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Thanks all for the responses. I wasn't quite expecting to get any responses. I gots a pair of 6*s en route. Little more than my ideal price but still within the acceptable range. Look for me ripping the groomers this season, yea baby~!!!! :lol:

Snagged a used pair of 8000s on the cheap too. I break a pair every year but for $120, why the heck not considering one of my skis has a blown out edge. Yes, this means that the mismatched 8000s will be retired after only half a seasons' use. But that means I have one single ski on back up duty for the next time I split a ski, blow a sidewall, or blow out an edge.

:beer:

Damn, I am such a gear whore. But I know have nearly the perfect quiver: Groomer Ripper, mid-fat, fat in alpine and mid-fat and fat in touring. Ideally, my alpine mid-fat would be 85ish and my fat would be 100ish which are both +~5cm compared to current. But I am sure I will get there eventually. :lol: 94 underfoot is perfect max for BC touring. Larger would add weight for touring and compromise the multi-use of a ski needed for various east coast BC need. I know many would disagree. But that is my take.