• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best affordable goggles

adamh

Where can I find a good pair of goggles for $50 or less? Any specific recommendations?

mondeo

i've had good luck with Smith Fuse. they were just on sale on tramdock for less than $50. keep an eyeone on this link, they'll be back. i think i've seen them for less than $40.

http://gear.alpinezone.com/backcountry.htm
I think I've gotten my Phenoms off there for around $50, I/Os I've seen for around $60. Tramdock.com is the place for goggle purchases, also have the higher end Oakleys and Scotts on there from time to time. I like the Smiths, plus I've got a Smith helemet so the fit works well.

powbmps

Lots of nice goggles showing up on Tramdock for under $50 shipped. For some reason the Smiths don't fit my face very well, but I picked up some Spy Zeds with a spare lens for $30 something.

Edit to correct myself. The Spy goggles were on Whiskey Militia (another branch of Steep and Cheap/Tramdock).

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm reluctant to buy goggles online in case they don't fit with my helmet.

what I really need to do is just buy like a half dozen lenses so I don't have to worry about new goggles for several seasons. I always forget to do this, then the product becomes discontinued.

bvibert

Staff member

what I really need to do is just buy like a half dozen lenses so I don't have to worry about new goggles for several seasons. I always forget to do this, then the product becomes discontinued.

I've bought plenty of goggles on Tramdock (I might have a goggle problem). Most work well enough for me, however I did get a nice pair of Oakley Crowbars that just didn't work with my head and helmet. I was able to sell them for what I paid on GearTrade.com really easily. Speaking of which GearTrade.com might be a good spot to look too. There's new and used stuff on there.

gmcunni

i've got clear, yellow, and 2 dark tinted lens for my Fuse... but it seems i never use anything but clear. i ended up leaving my goggles @ sugarbush and since i had so many lens i just ordered a new fuse (on tramdock of course)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not even sure what model my Smiths are. I've looked all over them and can't see it written anywhere. It would be nice to know so I can order new lenses. I'd be interested in getting another pair of the same goggle to have a differenct color lense so I could swap out throughout the day with changing conditions. Then just have a bunch of back up lenses. I can't recall ever breaking a frame in my life, so it seems silly to replace the whole shabang.

Sky

I'm not even sure what model my Smiths are. I've looked all over them and can't see it written anywhere. It would be nice to know so I can order new lenses. I'd be interested in getting another pair of the same goggle to have a differenct color lense so I could swap out throughout the day with changing conditions. Then just have a bunch of back up lenses. I can't recall ever breaking a frame in my life, so it seems silly to replace the whole shabang.

1-800-PRO-LENS There should be very fine print inside the goggle frame, probably where the lens clicks in, where you can read he model number. Pro Lens should be able to help wih a subsittue lens.

WWF-VT

You can get fairly decent goggles for less than $50 from Smith or Scott at some of the big sporting goods stores like Dick’s or Sports Authority. I recommended avoiding those stores for skis and boots.

SKIQUATTRO

check TJMaxx now or soon, all the winter stuff is coming out, usually get Bolles for $20, sometimes they have Oakley, Smith...hit or miss but worth a check...

WJenness

Doesn't TJ Maxx/Marshells usually have goggles at their winter sale?

Yes, this sale should be happening soon... I've had about 50/50 luck with goggles, but when they have them, they're decent and cheap... it's just a question of what you find... but you're not going to need them before this sale pops up anyway, so it's probably worth biding your time.

-w