• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's starting to feel like Fall...

hammer

She got a peck and a half, which came out to just over 15 pounds (a peck is supposed to be about 10.5 pounds). A bushel is supposed to be about 42 pounds, so I guess we ended up with a little less than a half bushel.

I will say this; my kids picked some of the smallest apples I've ever seen.... Which made it somewhat more tedious getting the 3 pounds needed for the recipe peeled and sliced, since I had to go through so many apples...

Do you have one of these? They work pretty well...
41AG05qDHRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Brian the baker. I love it!

SKIQUATTRO

heading up to Lymans on saturday, have lunch (anyone any local resturants to eat outside) ....stay over with my folks and head back to the island sunday morning....apple orchards on the island are aweful....we also hit Rose's in Glastonbury for our tree at xmas time.....why do i live here????

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I <3 Lyman's but it gets to be a mad house there once the leaves start to change. March Farm was beautiful and I will definitely go back. Need to get some different apples once we work through all these Macouns.

And *I* kind of like Brian baking (and cooking). It's nice to have time for other pursuits. :)

drjeff

heading up to Lymans on saturday, have lunch (anyone any local resturants to eat outside) ....stay over with my folks and head back to the island sunday morning....apple orchards on the island are aweful....we also hit Rose's in Glastonbury for our tree at xmas time.....why do i live here????

Can't go wrong with most of the restaurants on Main Street in Middletown - just take 157 which borders the Northern edge of Lyman's farmstand/corn maze North, and in about 10 minutes you're on Main Street in Middletown. A bunch of good restuarants there, many with outdoor seating (Eli Cannon's is one of my favorites for GOOD pub type food and a GREAT beer selection)

And there's always the restaurant right at the Golf course at Lyman Orchards - good, but not great food and a really nice deck high up on the hillside overlooking the finishing holes of both the golf courses there and the rolling hills of CT

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Can't go wrong with most of the restaurants on Main Street in Middletown - just take 157 which borders the Northern edge of Lyman's farmstand/corn maze North, and in about 10 minutes you're on Main Street in Middletown. A bunch of good restuarants there, many with outdoor seating (Eli Cannon's is one of my favorites for GOOD pub type food and a GREAT beer selection)

And there's always the restaurant right at the Golf course at Lyman Orchards - good, but not great food and a really nice deck high up on the hillside overlooking the finishing holes of both the golf courses there and the rolling hills of CT
The new chocolatier in that area has some very yummy offerings. Not cheap, but oh-so-good.

SKIQUATTRO

thanks Jeff...great up in portland, went to Xavier in Middletown, just havent been up that way to eat in years ...Elis opens at 3, going to hit Guidia's on 66 for some great footlongs.....

Geoff

Do you have one of these? They work pretty well...
41AG05qDHRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jeez. Hand-peeling apples for one apple pie isn't that big a deal. I do one every Thanksgiving. If I were making 2 or 3, I'd head out to the kitchen store and buy a peeler but it's only about 15 minutes to peel, core, and slice 10 apples.

The toughest thing I make for prep time is Todd English's "Eggplant Caponata". It's the best thing I've ever had on a cracker and it freezes really well so you can make a double or triple batch.

A link:
http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/143810/eggplant-caponata

WakeboardMom

Jeez. Hand-peeling apples for one apple pie isn't that big a deal. I do one every Thanksgiving. If I were making 2 or 3, I'd head out to the kitchen store and buy a peeler but it's only about 15 minutes to peel, core, and slice 10 apples.

The toughest thing I make for prep time is Todd English's "Eggplant Caponata". It's the best thing I've ever had on a cracker and it freezes really well so you can make a double or triple batch.

A link:
http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/143810/eggplant-caponata

I love the turn that this thread has taken! I make an apple pie or apple crisp once a week or so at this time of the year, depending on how much company we have on a weekend. I'm not a big fan of that contraption, prefer to do them the old-fashioned way. ; - )

I wanna try that eggplant recipe! I cooked eggplant for the first time as part of an attempt a ratatouille a week or so ago. My husband enjoyed it except for one thing. "Honey? You're supposed to peel eggplant." Who knew? Thanks for the link, Geoff!

ctenidae

You don't have to peel eggplant, depending on how you cook it.
I bought a small chayote the other day, supposedly can be cooked like eggplant. Haven't cooked it yet.

The apple tree across the street is totally loaded. I'm considering picking up a ton and making cider, but don't have a press, and haven't decided if I can make one easily using Home Depot buckets, scrap wood, and a 2 ton hydraulic jack.

WakeboardMom

You don't have to peel eggplant, depending on how you cook it.
I bought a small chayote the other day, supposedly can be cooked like eggplant. Haven't cooked it yet.

The apple tree across the street is totally loaded. I'm considering picking up a ton and making cider, but don't have a press, and haven't decided if I can make one easily using Home Depot buckets, scrap wood, and a 2 ton hydraulic jack.

I sliced the eggplant into circles, laid them in a glass baking dish, covered with sliced fresh native tomatoes, fresh basil and oregano, mozzarella and provolone cheese and baked it. It would've been better had the eggplant been peeled. ; )

I'll take a gallon of cider, please. Thank you.

SKIQUATTRO

surfed sat am 6am-9am (chest with OH sets and clean)..got home, back in the car at 10am, took 1.5hrs to get off the island, finally arrived Guiada's on RT66 at 1 for some great hot dogs...headed over to Lymans, went right to the orchards (top of ridge to the left) and skipped the corn maze and all....was very quiet up there, colors starting to pop, views of Powder Ridge, beautiful up there.....

dmc

...frost advisory in effect from 1 am to 7 am edt tuesday...
The national weather service in albany has issued a frost advisory...which is in effect from 1 am to 7 am edt tuesday for southern vermont...northern berkshires...eastern catskills...western mohawk valley and portions of the southern adirondacks and upper hudson valley.
As high pressure settles over the region...clear skies and light winds will allow for ideal radiational cooling. This will allow temperatures overnight to drop into lower and middle 30s.

Glenn

Had some fires this weekend. Doesn't take much to get the lower level up to 77F. :lol:

jotul.jpg

Warp Daddy

I ended up making it last night... Yummy! Thanks WD!

Hey GLAD U guys enjoyed it .

Just got back tonite from a couple weeks at the Cape & Lake George That AA crisp recipe would be GREAT 2 nite its supposed to be 31 degrees here on the River tonite with frost -- got the fireplace cranking now