• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Jackets

wa-loaf

So I'm looking for a new one. I lost weight and my old one is too big.

I was pretty much sold on a Patagonia jacket. Really wanted the Primo, but it has a weird fit for me. Went to the Patagonia store to check it in person. Decided the Large Powder Bowl Jacket would work for me even though it's a bit heavier than I wanted. Ordered it from REI and when I got it it felt like a much bigger jacket that when I first tried it on (I was in a hurry since it was my lunch hour) so I went ahead and ordered a medium from REI (this makes it easy for me to return one). The medium got here today, and is too tight. I'm going to return both and go back to square one.

I want to get a jacket(shell) that is light, has a powder skirt (removable is cool), a helmet compatible hood (removable is again cool), waterproof, plenty of stash pockets, and the fits me well. I'm looking now because this when they are all coming out and all sizes and colors are available. I'm willing to pay full price to find the right jacket and not do the hit or miss thing with deals. Up to $500 is what I'm willing to pay.

Any suggestions? Not a fan of racer looking jackets (Spider, Karbon ...) or New School baggy stuff.

Sky

I've been hunting as well. I won't Hijack the thread pal...but I'll be watching. :>

Congrats on the wt loss!! You're gonna make that GS suit look good. :>

o3jeff

Thanks for the reminder, My jacket was big on me last year so I can only imagine about this year so please do all the leg work and let me know what you find since were about the same size!

I also noticed a lot of companies are going with "athletic" fit stuff and that just doesn't work for me.

wa-loaf

Thanks for the reminder, My jacket was big on me last year so I can only imagine about this year so please do all the leg work and let me know what you find since were about the same size!

I also noticed a lot of companies are going with "athletic" fit stuff and that just doesn't work for me.

Same size? We're close to the same height (5-8/5-9), but I just slid under 200lbs. You are closer to 170 or so. That medium Powder Bowl jacket would prob fit you well.

Sky

I'm in a category of my own due to height. Cabelas or LL Bean caries the Tall sizes. Haven't seen what I'm looking for. Hesitant to venture elsewhere even if they offer "tall"...I need the "freakishly" prefix clearly stated. :>

GearGuide

So my recommendation would be the Cloudveil RPK jacket. It's one of my personal favorites and the medium should be just about right given your height/weight. See a review of the jacket at GearGuide.

wa-loaf

So my recommendation would be the Cloudveil RPK jacket. It's one of my personal favorites and the medium should be just about right given your height/weight. See a review of the jacket at GearGuide.

Actually my current Jacket is an RPK. I kind of got the idea I wanted a Patagonia in my head and went from there. I've got to see if I can find a medium RPK somewhere to try on. They don't seem to have released their Fall catalog yet.

rtibbs4

Website
www.basecampmountsnow.com
I have the Cloudveil RPK and it's great. There is an outlet in Freeport ME. I had a similar issue with being between a medium and a large and then came across a medium that ( for some reason) was larger than all the other mediums but smaller than a large. Just lucky I guess.

A couple years ago the Freeport outlet had the previous seasons RPK for around $160 which is a huge discount on a $400 jacket.

GearGuide

I just went through this same search and ended up with the RPK after looking at a bunch of other jackets including other Cloudveil products, and those from Mountain Hardwear and Marmot. I reviewed a bunch of those too on my site www.gearguide.info in case you're interested. The RPK was just the best for me. One jacket that you might consider, however, is the Marmot Genesis. It's not quite as heavy as the RPK and the hood doesn't detach (a feature I like), but it's got just about everything else, and is good looking and pretty rugged.

Last note, according to the Cloudveil's website, their Fall line should be out shortly. I hope that's the case, since they seem to have been struggling this past year, getting bought out by a private equity firm, etc.

GearGuide

I had to go looking myself to see if the new Fall line was actually out and found that KL Sports has a bunch of last year's Cloudveil on sale. Here's a link to their Cloudveil store. Prices don't seem too bad, not as good as your last deal, but still okay.

bigbog

Have had good luck, especially breatheability, with Marmot and TNF. Have always looked at that RPK after reading.
*The newer shells have some material that sheds snow quicker, where my Marmot hardshell of several+ yrs past possesses a little texture which allows some snow to cling to...fwiw.
$.01

Last edited:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I am a fan of a good marmot shell. I have had 2 over the years. The newest is goretex tcr (I think those are the letters). Lightweight, wind waterproof, pitzips. I usually just ski in a poly-type shirt and a fleece vest. If it dips below 20, longsleeve fleece.

I do want to get a softshell eventually to compliment... You can also find marmot shells online for about 200.

wa-loaf

Got a medium Cloudveil RPK jacket out for delivery today. Hope it fits.

EOS

I went with the Outdoor Research Igneo last year and love it. Removable hood and powder skirt... Worth a look at for you.

*Just realized you are looking for a shell, not an insulated jacket. Oops!

Last edited:

powbmps

I'm a SAC guy, but when looking for stuff in person I've been going to snowboard shops.

Burton makes some nice stuff that is priced very well.

Glenn

I'm a SAC guy, but when looking for stuff in person I've been going to snowboard shops.

Burton makes some nice stuff that is priced very well.

I've got a pair of "Biolight" pants from the early 90's that are still kicking. I've also got a pair of mittens I retired after about 12+ years. I still use them for outside work in the winter. I've also got a Biolight jacket that's useable. Again, from the early 90's. The stuff holds up really well.