• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Wii question?

wa-loaf

So my kids got a Wii for their birthdays. I was looking at buying a second controller and there seem to be a lot of really inexpensive one's made by third parties. Has anyone bought these and do they last? Any good places to buy accessories or games beyond Target and Amazon?

Thanks!

MR. evil

So my kids got a Wii for their birthdays. I was looking at buying a second controller and there seem to be a lot of really inexpensive one's made by third parties. Has anyone bought these and do they last? Any good places to buy accessories or games beyond Target and Amazon?

Thanks!
Get a used controller from Game Stop

bvibert

Staff member
Get a used controller from Game Stop

We got a refurbished one too. Couldn't even tell it had been used before. No problems at all with it since. Just look to see what's in the packaging, we got one without a jacket (the rubber condom thing) once, it was no problem to return it for one that had a jacket, but still kind of a PITA.

MR. evil

When the kids are asleep, try playing Mario Kart drunk. Very hard! Also very fun with a couple of people at the same time

2knees

Rechargeable batteries or not?

We got the rechargeable batteries and charger from Bed Bath and Beyond. The first one lasted about 2 weeks and shit the bed. returned it for another one and only one of them charges now.

i guess my point is dont get the one from BB&B but otherwise, you do go through AA batteries at a decent clip.

mondeo

We got the rechargeable batteries and charger from Bed Bath and Beyond. The first one lasted about 2 weeks and shit the bed. returned it for another one and only one of them charges now.

i guess my point is dont get the one from BB&B but otherwise, you do go through AA batteries at a decent clip.
I just use rechargeable AA's.

mondeo

That's basically what they are, but I guess you can recharge them without taking them out of the remote.
Yeah, the XBox has a similar system (with the added ability to charge it while using it, easier done when you don't need to move the remote to use it.) Difference is replacing dead AAs instead of replacing a dead AA Wii pack is much cheaper, plus now you have a recharging system for any other AA based stuff you use.

Probably not a big difference in the long run, but saves a few bucks here and there. Problem is keeping track of which ones are charged, mostly dead, and all dead (big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Especially to Billy Crystal.)

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I've bought 3 of the off-brand Nyko controllers at WallyWorld and they seem to work just fine (had them since x-mas). The Nyko wireless nunchuk also works well, and is great for the kids as they don't get tangled up in the dangling cord.

We just use Rayovac alkalines. I can get them in a 50 pack at WalMart for $14.96 every now and again, so I stock up when they have them. Most charging kits are at least $20 for 2 remotes, so it would be about $40 for my 4. By my math, I'd have to replace a pair of batteries 67 times just to break even. We don't use it every single day either (been about a month now actually) so there's a good chance I'll pick up a remote that isn't charged and just end up throwing alkalines in it anyway.