• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1st Place Chicken at the Westport Blues and Views BBQ Festival!!!

Grassi21

One of my HS and one of my college friends and I decided to give the BBQ cook off world a try. This was our first competition operating under the team name Generation Swine. We competed against 22 amateur teams and 6 pro teams. We took 1st place in chicken for the backyard chef's group. What made the win even more special is that our chicken scored higher than 5 of the 6 pro teams! Just a couple of pics to induce some salivation. We did a grilled lamb chop over mashed white sweet potatoes and sauteed purple carrots for chef's choice. For the Iron chef round we did a stuffed pork loin with a bourbon sauce and grilled sweet potatoes and zucchini on the side.

Generation Swine

Generation_Swine_w_Trophy.jpg

1st Place Chicken!

WBC_1st_Place_Chicken.jpg

These ribs were tasty and looked great. Too bad the meat wasn't as fatty as we needed and resulted in a less than juicy rib.

WBV_Pork_Rib.jpg

Last edited:

Grassi21

I really think if we had a better cut of baby back ribs we would have made a run for top 3 in pork rib. I tasted the 1st place pork rib and ours looked and tasted much better. But they definitely had us on tenderness. We'll get our revenge next year.

EOS

You should hook up with a local meat cutter for next year and have them hand select the cut for you.

Cangrats on the win!! That's awesome.

Grassi21

You should hook up with a local meat cutter for next year and have them hand select the cut for you.

Cangrats on the win!! That's awesome.

We have a specialty market in our area that we got the ribs from. There is a lot of variability from brand to brand. But as you suggest, we are going up the food chain so to speak next year. There is a really good place 30 minutes from us that has some really good ribs.

Grassi21

You need to put "I only dine on swine" on the back of the shirt!

Congrats!

Jeff, the back of the shirt had the name of the website I am going to launch tonight (if I can get the first article edited tonight). Looking to jump into the world of tailgating as a part time job and hope to turn it into a full time gig. :) If that crotchety old AZ admin is cool with it I will post up a new thread here with the link and some info.

We also met and made an important contact, Rick Browne. He is the author of around 10 cookbooks and is the host of PBS's Barbecue America. He stopped by and hung out with us a few times during the event. He saw our chicken as we were boxing it up and gave us some much appreciated praise.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Jeff, the back of the shirt had the name of the website I am going to launch tonight (if I can get the first article edited tonight). Looking to jump into the world of tailgating as a part time job and hope to turn it into a full time gig. :) If that crotchety old AZ admin is cool with it I will post up a new thread here with the link and some info.

We also met and made an important contact, Rick Browne. He is the author of around 10 cookbooks and is the host of PBS's Barbecue America. He stopped by and hung out with us a few times during the event. He saw our chicken as we were boxing it up and gave us some much appreciated praise.
Very, very cool! Good luck with the new venture!

deadheadskier

Staff member
We have a specialty market in our area that we got the ribs from. There is a lot of variability from brand to brand. But as you suggest, we are going up the food chain so to speak next year. There is a really good place 30 minutes from us that has some really good ribs.

Breed is what you should be most concerned with. Berkshire is the breed you want for highest fat content / flavor. It's often referred to as Kurobuta Pork.

Snake River Farms produces the best pork I've tried. I would give them a call and see what retailers down by you might carry it. It does not appear that they offer Baby Backs online.

I would expect to pay in the neighborhood of $9-10/lb at a butcher for SRF ribs

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/kurobuta

Grassi21

Breed is what you should be most concerned with. Berkshire is the breed you want for highest fat content / flavor. It's often referred to as Kurobuta Pork.

Snake River Farms produces the best pork I've tried. I would give them a call and see what retailers down by you might carry it. It does not appear that they offer Baby Backs online.

I would expect to pay in the neighborhood of $9-10/lb at a butcher for SRF ribs

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/kurobuta

Thanks DHS! I trust your opinion/suggestion on this matter. :)

bvibert

Staff member
Nice job Grassi!

I can't believe it hasn't been said already... I expect you to be practicing your craft in the Sundown parking lot this season! I'll taste test... :beer:

wa-loaf

I think you need more parsley next time!

Congrats! You should bring your skills to some AZ events ....