• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

FOMBA's Singletrack Trails are open

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I've never ridden there before, but I hear it is very cool. Lots of twisting single track and some FR stuff too.

Not that I have the sack to attempt much FR stuff, but it is still nice to look at.

skibum1321

It's a fun place to go and there's plenty there to keep you occupied for a day. I'm hoping to get there a few times before I move...

skibum1321

I'm not sure of the official stance on dogs but it seems like it would be a pretty good place for your dog to go.

Charlie Schuessler

No Persons or Dogs are not permitted in the water (public drinking supply) and dogs are supposed to be leashed.

Most people with dogs are walking, however last Thursday around Tower Hill we saw a fellow cycling with his (unleashed) dog right on his wheel...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
djspookman said:
a yellow lab, so she LOVES anything to do with water!

dave

Yeah, I have yet to meet a lab that doesn't like water.

How do you find she keeps up on a moderate length ride, like 2 hours or so?

Knowing how much energy my parents' lab had and still has even though she's 9, I'd assume no problem.

djspookman

Marc said:
Yeah, I have yet to meet a lab that doesn't like water.

How do you find she keeps up on a moderate length ride, like 2 hours or so?

Knowing how much energy my parents' lab had and still has even though she's 9, I'd assume no problem.

I've taken her on anything from a 30 minute ride to a 4 hour ride and she's always been fine! She's fairly small (58 lbs) so she dosen't have any extra weight to carry around. I always bring at least 2 extra waterbottles to keep her hydrated though. She definately sleeps a ton afterward though! :)

So anyway, to keep this back on topic.. I'll most likely be at FOMBA sunday am. I'll be riding the white Wojcik.

dave

skibum1321

I think it's supposed to rain on Saturday and Sunday so the trails will probably be pretty muddy. It shouldn't be so much rain that the trails will be damaged by riding though. As long as you and the pup don't mind a little rain, it should be a good ride. Have fun!

Charlie Schuessler

skibum1321 said:
It's a fun place to go and there's plenty there to keep you occupied for a day. I'm hoping to get there a few times before I move...
We have a group of "Cross-Country" cyclists who meet there Thursday evenings about 5:30...PM me if interested in meeting up...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
skibum1321 said:
I think it's supposed to rain on Saturday and Sunday so the trails will probably be pretty muddy. It shouldn't be so much rain that the trails will be damaged by riding though. As long as you and the pup don't mind a little rain, it should be a good ride. Have fun!

The wet conditions won't last long either. It has been so dry, the water will be absorbed nearly instantaneously...

I'm hoping to see some clearing on Sunday enough to ride, although it's Spring Weekend down at Uconn, so the generalized debauchery may leave me feeling less than enthusiastic for any activity of any kind on Sunday.

I can't wait to be the wierd old dude who already graduated hanging around all the college kids...

skibum1321

Marc said:
I can't wait to be the wierd old dude who already graduated hanging around all the college kids...
That will be next weekend at St. Mike's. Although not quite as weird...

ga2ski

Tr: 4/22/06

I went for a quick ride to test of the bike and my legs.

I decided to warm-up by riding out to Helmock Loop. However on the way i came across a new trail (well to new to me) called Woodpecker. It is 0.8 miles and smooth and fast( for FOMBA standards). When was this trail created? I'm guessing last fall when i was busy hiking 4000-footers every chance i got.

Well just as I got on Woodpecker I broke my chain. I think I will drop my bike off for a tune up, I usually tune my own bike, but I think I"ll let the "pros" fix it this time and I'll maintain it for the remainder of the season.

Anyway since Woodpecker dumped me out near Fireline I jumped on the trail. As I entered I noticed the sign said 3.0 miles. The sign used to say 1.3 miles and i thought they finially updated the sign after the cut the new trail two seasons ago. Well I was surprised to find out that the trail was lengthened and for the better. Once again most of trailwork looked like it had been done last fall, but some new work had been done very recently maybe even yesterday.

I didn't want to push my bike any more, so i headed home, plus it looked like the rain was finially going to start.

Well it was fun to be back in the saddle again. I hope to get back out there some night after work.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
That sucks, ga2ski, I broke my chain on my last mtb ride too.

I should probably get off my ass and fix that sometime. Only takes like 5 minutes if your chain was sized right and you can spare a couple links.

I'll fix your bike for you- I'll do a better job than most of the "pro's" you speak about... ;)