• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

User Reputations

Do you like the new User Reputations system?

• Yes

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I don't get it

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
WICKEDBUMPER said:
reputation for what? BC skiing, hiking, mountain biking, racing, bumps, skiing greens well, skiing blues well, bumps, setting up trips, trip reports, jokes, great driving directions, how about great skiing instruction?

no to mention, this board has 3 main sections now. Skiing/Riding, Biking, and Hiking. if this system is to have any credibility, you cannot have people earning points in hiking for example and having those points show up when that person is posting on the skiing board.
with the above argument, some newbie sees this in the Skiing/Riding board and what does he think ? -
JOEBLOW
# of posts:350
rep points:10
joeblow looks like he knows his skiing. hell, Joe's a big skier.
funny thing is, Joe mountain bikes, or Hikes, and skis 2 days a year but gets his rep points for posting great non-skiing advice. Thats odd, because Joe just wrote a paragraph about off-piste in the skiing section.
the rep points told you NOTHING about joe. whats his ski level? whats his skiing style? does he hike for turns?
Presumably Joe is going to earn rep points on the posts he does make. If Joe posts invalid info like in your above scenario, he'll likely not reserve rep points so it makes your point moot. Also, your argument of whether Joe really knows anything about skiing or not holds true regardless of whether the Rep system is enabled or not. It's not meant to be some final judgment of a user's character, but in time, the somewhat more reputable members will rise higher on the list. It's all about averages over time.

Greg

Staff member
SkiDork said:
what is "rep power"?
When you give or take rep points, the user's rep points total will increment up or down based on your Rep Power level. Rep Power points are determined by a combination of how long you've been a registered member, how many posts you have, and what your reputation point count is. The rationale is that more established members with higher post counts and reputation have more "pull" when add/subtracting rep points.

Sky

noski said:
Would I automatically get a bad rep because I don't ski/board, forever to live in the Miscellaneous section? *sniff* :(

I don't think you'd get a bad rep. I think you handicap (caveat) yourself pretty well.

I was not offended, nor was I suspicious when you asked for clarification re: BW vs SB for my family.

As for Reputaion points...I can't put it to words...but I'm lleaning against it. 1) Value added? Are we suffering from incredibility? I say "no". Mods are omnipresent, Mods answer or "refer" to posters anticipated to "know". Folks tend to "lurk" before getting inspired to join...OR, they immediately "pimp" their credibility with post like..."I like Opera Music and you should join my music purchasig club" (or whatever that was).

2) Rep points...Skewed poster-ship. Let's see...Rivercoil, AWF, the Mods, DMC, NHPH...the list goes on (sorry if I failed to list all you others)...they max out. Then there are folks like me who state our caveats (limited experiences, abilities, etc) who get "some" credibility points. Maybe that stops me from chiming in, maybe not. Maybe someone thinks it's funny to "ding" a point or two for something entertaining..."I went to see Brokeback Mt"....instant joke-related cred point deduction...etc. UPSIDE, more postings...another thread topic. DOWNSIDE' we all may not appreciate the humor. ex: Marc and I thouroughly enjoyed BB Mt. Intended to be comic, but Marc may take offense when some new poster PM's him for a date. Marc's (assumed) homophobic response upsets Trailboss. Seems like it bumps intot he "Miscelanious" (sp) category asking "Please no politics".

My incredible 2 cents. *SMIRK*

noski

Sky521 said:
I don't think you'd get a bad rep. I think you handicap (caveat) yourself pretty well.

As for Reputaion points...I can't put it to words...but I'm lleaning against it. 1) Value added? Are we suffering from incredibility? I say "no". Mods are omnipresent, Mods answer or "refer" to posters anticipated to "know". Folks tend to "lurk" before getting inspired to join...OR, they immediately "pimp" their credibility with post like..."I like Opera Music and you should join my music purchasig club" (or whatever that was).
I cannot believe I totally fell for that. Naive noski. Somebody ding me, please. ;)
Sky521 said:
2) Rep points...Skewed poster-ship. Let's see...Rivercoil, AWF, the Mods, DMC, NHPH...the list goes on (sorry if I failed to list all you others)...they max out. Then there are folks like me who state our caveats (limited experiences, abilities, etc) who get "some" credibility points. Maybe that stops me from chiming in, maybe not. Maybe someone thinks it's funny to "ding" a point or two for something entertaining..."I went to see Brokeback Mt"....instant joke-related cred point deduction...etc. UPSIDE, more postings...another thread topic. DOWNSIDE' we all may not appreciate the humor. ex: Marc and I thouroughly enjoyed BB Mt. Intended to be comic, but Marc may take offense when some new poster PM's him for a date. Marc's (assumed) homophobic response upsets Trailboss. Seems like it bumps intot he "Miscelanious" (sp) category asking "Please no politics".

Good post, SKy....really. You'll get lotsa points.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Sky521 said:

I was not offended, nor was I suspicious when you asked for clarification re: BW vs SB for my family.

I have an uncanny knack for getting dragged into these things.

For the record, I have yet to see Brokeback Mountain, but I heard yours and Phildozer's performance in it was stellar, Sky.

Sky

Marc said:
I have an uncanny knack for getting dragged into these things.

For the record, I have yet to see Brokeback Mountain, but I heard yours and Phildozer's performance in it was stellar, Sky.

*blush*

*does blushing cost me rep points?*

Erraaahhhh....I think I'm not liking the point scale thing. Caveat Emptor pals.

Cripes...I have to check my street cred points. See ya.

kcyanks1

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already in this thread:

Do you have any tips for when to give people positive rep? There are posters I know from the past who have been very helpful--do I give them rep points now, or wait for a particularly insightful post? How often do you give rep points to the same person if they continually have good posts? How often should I plan on giving rep points period? Should it be done for any post I appreciate? A rare occurence?

BeanoNYC

kcyanks1 said:

Do you have any tips for when to give people positive rep? There are posters I know from the past who have been very helpful--do I give them rep points now, or wait for a particularly insightful post? How often do you give rep points to the same person if they continually have good posts? How often should I plan on giving rep points period? Should it be done for any post I appreciate? A rare occurence?

Good question. I don't know exactly what the policy is but I'm starting everyone with a clean slate. As far as the post themselves are concerned, I plan on giving out positive feedback to post that make me laugh, show a user's helpfulness, posts that I emphatically agree with, posts that I disagree with yet are conducive to a healthy discussion and, of course, whenever I learn something new. Am I off on this one, Greg? For the record, I voted "Not Sure"

kcyanks1

BeanoNYC said:
Good question. I don't know exactly what the policy is but I'm starting everyone with a clean slate. As far as the post themselves are concerned, I plan on giving out positive feedback to post that make me laugh, show a user's helpfulness, posts that I emphatically agree with, posts that I disagree with yet are conducive to a healthy discussion and, of course, whenever I learn something new. Am I off on this one, Greg? For the record, I voted "Not Sure"

Thanks for the help. See, this would be a perfect example. Do I give BeanoNYC rep points? He was helpful (and I know he's been helpful in the past too). And if I do, what about the next time he's helpful :)

Oh, btw, I did give you rep points. But if you follow-up with another good post, as I assume you will, I figure I'll have to wait for the "official" word before doing it again :)

Vortex

No strict parameters. You can go back to old posts and add a rep point. Start slow and feel comfortable. You can add comments also. I like the personal touch.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
kcyanks1 said:

I will contribute rep points to anyone's post...

for a price of course...

...unmarked, non sequential twenties, only, though.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i would suggest using the rep for posts that make you say, "i would enjoy seeing more of these types of posts and posters around." whatever contributes to your enjoyment of the forum, puts a smile on your face, contributes to your knowledge, or adds insight. however, i think it should be significant. for example, almost any post marc makes puts a smile on my face, but i think he has already earned a different type of reputation ;) :lol:

Vortex

I think Steve is on the right track here. I plan on giving very few rep points.
I want them to have value. Only 2 given so far by me. Zowie420... for the generosity she showed with discount and free tickets to help make the Cannon outing a success. 2knees for the same reason. We have a few folks getting together this weekend cause of the Brettonwoods tickets. Again set your own guidelines within reason.

Greg

Staff member
Some good feedback on how/when to give rep points. As Bob says, take your time until you feel comfortable with it. There are no strict rules per se. The rep system has some built in features which won't allow you to give rep too many times within a given time period and to the same members over and over. With that said, I plan to give rep when I read a post and come away with a feeling that it was a really good post - a strong case in a debate, a detailed trip report, a well-written gear review, etc. Perhaps even just a really funny post will get rep points from me. With the board's highest rep power of 12 though, I don't plan to hand out rep points willy nilly. Posi-repping old posts is fine. I, for example, posi-repped Jeff Bokum, Dan Dipiro and Win Smith, among several AZ members that have contributed in some way. I don't think I'll be as liberal neg-repping posts though.

As far as neg-repping, please don't neg-rep for poor spelling/grammar, to try to just hurt someone's rep that you don't "like", or for opinions that differ from yours. Based on the overall civil discussion and respect AlpineZoners show each other, I trust that most folks will use the system in the way it was intended.

bvibert

Staff member
I think you're all on the right track, give rep whenever you feel the post is deserving. Its a very subjective thing and there aren't really any rules as to what should and should not be repped. The system won't allow you to do it too often. For example; kcyanks1, you just gave Beano rep so you won't be able to give him rep again until you rep at least 10 other people. After you give 10 more people rep you are more than welcome to rep him again if you see another post of his that you really appreciate.

EDIT, Greg beat me to it again... ;)

SkiDork

Greg/admins:

Just thought of something. Since you guys generally don't allow any flaming, negative reps will be artificially understated. The way I see it, someone who is a flamer or a troll deserves the negative rep points...

Just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.