• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

User Reputations

Do you like the new User Reputations system?

• Yes

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I don't get it

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcyanks1

Thanks everyone for the replies. Good to hear the system has some safeties built in. Hope it works out well. From what I've gathered from the time I've posted to the forum (and the couple years I read it before that), I don't think people giving negative reps will be a problem either.

bvibert

Staff member
salida said:
I feel like a fool, but I still don't get how to add rep points for someone?
Click on the
reputation.gif
button under their name, next to the post you want to rep.

SilentCal

This is a good system as long as people are open minded about it. Another internet hiking board went to this system not too long ago and it created a lot of problems in my opinion. Many people on the board basically used it as a popularity contest. Folks were red-squared, I believe unfairly, in an attempt to black-ball them and make their advice seem to be not sound. It got very out of hand and lots of people became disgusted with a percieved "moderator bias" that ensued. I hope that does not happen even though I don't post as often as I used to. I have hope for it because the moderators here seem to be much more on top of things and not let anything out of hand. Kudos to Greg for creating that team.

pepsi

My experience on some boards is that it's more of a popularity contest. A small group of posters giving each other rep points just to raise each others levels. And more than one occasion of a poster giving negative rep to another poster on every post made because of some personal grievance.

This board is pretty friendly so I would expect not many problems from it.

And, moderated well enough that the usual problems will probably be avoided.

I mostly lurk anyway, but I did vote no. :)

Edit: SC posted while I was typing.:)

awf170

riverc0il said:
yea, but you only have a rep power of 4.... sucker. :p

Who cares I can't rep myself. It just means you'll get less rep points for your inferior Mt. Wash TR's.:wink::razz:(I'm just mad because I can't go tomorrow. What have you decided on anyway)

highpeaksdrifter

pepsi said:
My experience on some boards is that it's more of a popularity contest. A small group of posters giving each other rep points just to raise each others levels.

I can see that happening. Some people in here ski together and others that don't have kinda a forum friend relationship, both situations are nice to have. All I'm saying is it's probable that these friendships will lead to the point pepsi made.

bvibert

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
I can see that happening. Some people in here ski together and others that don't have kinda a forum friend relationship, both situations are nice to have. All I'm saying is it's probable that these friendships will lead to the point pepsi made.
I'm sure a certain amount of that is bound to happen. Hopefully it won't get out of control.

Greg

Staff member
Blue squares are from folks that have a Rep Power of 0 so their votes do not alter your rep point total.

Greg

Staff member
Charlie Schuessler said:
It seems that it is a topic-driven popularity contest scoring system...
Disagreed. At least not here. I could see how some folks could view this as a cliquey popularity contest, but I like to think AlpineZoners are a bit different. I doubt anyone will post something solely to garner more rep points. Most members here are civil and mature so I think the rep system at a place like AlpineZone is when it's the most valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.