User Reputations - Page 4

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: Do you like the new User Reputations system?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 34.15%
  • No

13 31.71%
  • Not sure

6 14.63%
  • I don't care

5 12.20%
  • I don't get it

3 7.32%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss
    It's all about balance. Some will focus on the skiing and hiking. Others will focus on the other stuff. As long as we can make both camps happy, that's cool.
    Agreed. I just feel it's another feature that helps strengthen the community here. It's a great way to give kudos to someone that has some lasting effect. You don't have to use it if you don't want to...

I ski double black diamonds.

I added a poll to this thread. Please vote.

I Don't Get It

Not that I don't get the technology part, I don't get why, in this particular forum, it would be useful or beneficial. I will watch awhile and see if I can find some redeeming value in having this data available. I think users in this forum are generally respectful and post entertaining or informational items. Those who flame are quickly extinguished. Those who SPAM are zapped away, so, I am yet to be convinced of the value of this feature. I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Not that I don't get the technology part, I don't get why, in this particular forum, it would be useful or beneficial. I will watch awhile and see if I can find some redeeming value in having this data available. I think users in this forum are generally respectful and post entertaining or informational items. Those who flame are quickly extinguished. Those who SPAM are zapped away, so, I am yet to be convinced of the value of this feature. I'll wait.
    Its a skier/boarder thing, you wouldn't undersatnd...

I think it has some value, there are some folks who post nothing but fluff and have high post counts. That might make a newby think that person actually knows what they're talking about based on their post count. Ok, so what that it doesn't happen too often... This might be fun anyway... If its not fun and instead causes problems I'm sure it'll be shut off again...
    Brian

I'm not sure if I like the Reputation thing or not. I will have to see how it works.
    Born to ski, forced to work.
    I\'ve used all of my sick days so I\'m calling in dead.

Until now the only metric for evaluating the integrity of a user is post count. As Brian indicates, a high post count doesn't necessarily mean the user is helpful or even civil. This system will not impact the standard functions of the board in any way. If you want to use it, do so. If not, don't. Change is difficult for some folks, but let's not worry about it too much. I don't think the Rep system is going to alter the landscape of the AlpineZone community all that much. The Rep system shouldn't determine how/what you post as most folks are very civil with what they post. Also don't take neg reps personal (I've already got one). With that said, don't give neg reps for silly reasons like bad spelling or grammar. Leave constructive feedback if you do neg rep and remember your "votes" are visibile to the user you're repping.

Let's give this some time to see how it goes. Eventually, those that deserve high reps will emerge. Those that deserve a low or neg rep will as well. If we detect a lot of abuse, we'll just turn it off. If a large majority vote in this thread's poll that they don't like it, I'll turn it off as well so if you feel strongly one way or the other, please vote.

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert
    Its a skier/boarder thing, you wouldn't undersatnd...

I think it has some value, there are some folks who post nothing but fluff and have high post counts. That might make a newby think that person actually knows what they're talking about based on their post count. Ok, so what that it doesn't happen too often... This might be fun anyway... If its not fun and instead causes problems I'm sure it'll be shut off again...

*Insert appropriate Marc reference here*

This is a little out of my league. I probably won't use it. I'm not sure why. Apathy, maybe.

I think it is a handy thing for new members who seek advice, however it will be of little use to the users who have been around a while and the regulars who have a good handle on everyone else.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

I think the poll was great idea. The 1st time I have like a poll. We all can change.
    Skiing is my addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R
    I think the poll was great idea. The 1st time I have like a poll. We all can change.
    Thanks Bob. If this is something the community overwhelmingly doesn't favor, I'll turn it off. The opposite is also true. I highly value the members' opinions so I'll proceed based on the majority vote.

reputation for what? BC skiing, hiking, mountain biking, racing, bumps, skiing greens well, skiing blues well, bumps, setting up trips, trip reports, jokes, great driving directions, how about great skiing instruction?

no to mention, this board has 3 main sections now. Skiing/Riding, Biking, and Hiking. if this system is to have any credibility, you cannot have people earning points in hiking for example and having those points show up when that person is posting on the skiing board.
    with the above argument, some newbie sees this in the Skiing/Riding board and what does he think ? -
    JOEBLOW
    # of posts:350
    rep points:10
    joeblow looks like he knows his skiing. hell, Joe's a big skier.
    funny thing is, Joe mountain bikes, or Hikes, and skis 2 days a year but gets his rep points for posting great non-skiing advice. Thats odd, because Joe just wrote a paragraph about off-piste in the skiing section.
    the rep points told you NOTHING about joe. whats his ski level? whats his skiing style? does he hike for turns? etc..

Thread Information