• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

User Reputations

Do you like the new User Reputations system?

• Yes

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I don't get it

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
vBulletin's user reputation system provides a way of rating users based on the quality of their posts. If this system is enabled, users can add or subtract reputation points from other users by clicking the reputation link in their posts. I can set certain restrictions on the giving and taking away of reputation points by users.

User reputations allow the members to tell the community which users are quality and which users are not. And in response to user feedback, vBulletin has the ability to label and reward users for the quality of their posts, as is indicated by their reputation.

I know some of you have particpated on other forums where user reputation was enabled. I'm sort of torn on the issue, but I'd like to get some feedback whether this is something all of you would like to see implemented, or not...

cbcbd

From my experience on other boards, reputation is a positive thing... until you receive negative reputation. ;)
It's nice to give a personal kudos on a good post and to receive kudos if you have posted something that helped someone.
As long as people don't get too bent out of shape when they receive negative feedback (everyone is bound to disagree with someone at some point) then it's a pretty painless and good feature to have - also cleans out threads by eliminating the need to post your agreement or appreciation.

Greg

Staff member
cbcbd said:
From my experience on other boards, reputation is a positive thing... until you receive negative reputation. ;)
It's nice to give a personal kudos on a good post and to receive kudos if you have posted something that helped someone.
As long as people don't get too bent out of shape when they receive negative feedback (everyone is bound to disagree with someone at some point) then it's a pretty painless and good feature to have - also cleans out threads by eliminating the need to post your agreement or appreciation.
Are the reputation votes public?

noski

Would I automatically get a bad rep because I don't ski/board, forever to live in the Miscellaneous section? *sniff* :(

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
Are the reputation votes public?
Nevermind. I think I figured this out...

More thoughts?

cbcbd

No, you can't see other people's reputation comments, only the ones you receive from others. The only thing the public sees are the green (good) or red (bad) squares that build up in your user box. Reputation goes by points, so the more positive points the more green boxes. And I think to some extent, users with higher post counts give out more points per reputation that they give.

Also, depending on the bulletin version, you can choose to show the name of the user who gave you reputation or just opt to leave the comments anonymous. - Seeing the name could be good or bad.

edit: ah ok, you got it, nevermind ;)

JimG.

Staff member
It sounds interesting, but...

it could be misused and lead to conflict too.

If you decide to turn it on, we would all have to monitor the results carefully.

awf170

I like it. It seems to work fine over at T4T. Also have rep be anonymous. If you want you can leave you name. Ex: "Nice pics-Awf"

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
It sounds interesting, but...

it could be misused and lead to conflict too.

If you decide to turn it on, we would all have to monitor the results carefully.
Agreed on all points. However, I think most of the members here are pretty civil and mature. There will be some inherent misuse of the system, but if enough people post positive rep points when warranted, it should outweigh the ones that abuse it to post unwarranted negative ones. There are several options I can set to make this system less prone to abuse. For example, I can set a minimum post count and/or reputation level before a user's reputation hits count towards other members. Folks with more posts and higher reputation can also gain additional points of reputation-altering power. Similarly, members that have been here longer can have higher rep-altering power. And on and on.

And with all that said, we can always try it and if it becomes a problem or causes animosity, we can disable it. My feeling is if you're contributing in a positive way as you should be (and most members do) there is little to worry about and I would hope this system acts as a way to commend other members, rather than continually slam them.

bvibert

Staff member
I think it could be a good thing. But as Jim says, it could also be abused. T4T has all sorts of restrictions on how often you can give rep to a person and what not that should be able to limit the amount of abuse. Here is a link to their current reputaion rules.

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
I think it could be a good thing. But as Jim says, it could also be abused. T4T has all sorts of restrictions on how often you can give rep to a person and what not that should be able to limit the amount of abuse. Here is a link to their current reputaion rules.
Yup. I have similar settings available here.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Yup. I have similar settings available here.
Figured you would... ;)

I think the limit on how many reps you need to give to others before you can give rep back to a user would be helpful at stopping abuse...

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
I think the limit on how many reps you need to give to others before you can give rep back to a user would be helpful at stopping abuse...
Absolutely. Here are all the options with their default settings. I put my recommended settings in parentheses:

Default Reputation
What reputation level shall new users receive upon registration?
10 (10)

Administrator's Reputation Power
How many reputation points does an administrator give or take away with each click?
Set to 0 to have administrators follow the same rules as everyone else.
10 (0)

Register Date Factor
For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
365 (365)

Post Count Factor
For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
1000 (1000)

Reputation Point Factor
For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
100 (100)

Minimum Post Count
How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?
50 (100)

Minimum Reputation Count
How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?
10 (10)

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit
How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period?
10 (10)

Reputation User Spread
How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again?
20 (10)

Thoughts?

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Absolutely. Here are all the options with their default settings. I put my recommended settings in parentheses:

..<snip>..

Thoughts?
Looks good too me. :beer:

Greg

Staff member
Okay - let's give it a try. I've enabled User Reputations and started everyone off with 10 points. New users will also start with 10 points. You will now see a green (or red if negative ;) ) reputation marker under your post count. To add or substract reputation points for a particular user, click this icon -
reputation.gif
- at the bottom of the author column on the particular post you would like to give (or take) reputation points for. The options are set as follows:

Greg said:
Default Reputation
What reputation level shall new users receive upon registration?

Administrator's Reputation Power
How many reputation points does an administrator give or take away with each click?
Set to 0 to have administrators follow the same rules as everyone else.

Register Date Factor
For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor
For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor
For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Minimum Post Count
How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

Minimum Reputation Count
How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit
How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period?

Reputation User Spread
How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again?
Please actively use this system and be fair. If we detect abuse, we reserve the right to disable User Reputations. Enjoy!

Greg

Staff member
I've also set it up so your Rep point count and Rep power are displayed in the author column of each post you make.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I have a question or two about this...
1. How can we look at our own Reputation to see what others have said about us?
2. How do we gain Rep power points? I just noticed mine went up to 3 and do not know how that happened.

Thanks

Greg

Staff member
teachski said:
1. How can we look at our own Reputation to see what others have said about us?
If/when someone posts rep points/comment, you can view the last ten in your User CP.

teachski said:
2. How do we gain Rep power points? I just noticed mine went up to 3 and do not know how that happened.
As indicated in the settings list above, Rep Power points are determined by a combination of how long you've been a registered member, how many posts you have, and what your reputation count is. The rationale is that more established members with higher post counts and reputation have more "pull" when add/subtracting rep points. With that said, everybody better be nice to me as I have a mighty Rep Power of 12! ;)

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
If/when someone posts rep points/comment, you can view the last ten in your User CP.
I should add that rep points and comments are not anonymous. Some folks may not like that but my feeling is it adds a level of liability when giving (or taking) rep points so again, please be fair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.