• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Thread...10/8 - 10/11

WakeboardMom

What the hell is Patriots Day?

Boston Marathon.

I haven't read the Wiki article yet...I'm surprised at those particular states you mentioned. In MA they do a recreation of the Battle of Lexington and Concord...that's what we're supposed to be honoring.

jaywbigred

Am I the only one who has to work on Monday?

I do -- boss canceled our annual round of golf bc of his back. I am going to get shafted this year (no round of golf at his club per usual as thank you/sort of bonus type thing).

Fri - work, drive to Mt. Snow
Sat - Ohio State game is on at noon, which is inconvenient because Oktoberfest starts at noon also. Our 4 guests + my fiancée will be going for sure, but I will have to make a decision as to whether or not to head to Oktoberfest after the game, which will be around 3:30, bc Oktoberfest ends at 5:00 and costs $20. Will depend on the outcome of the game, how drunk I already am, and the weather. I wish the game started at 3:30 so I could go to Oktoberfest as a sort of pregame! Too bad. Either way, I will be drinking much all day -- but remember, you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning! (after a nice hike for some exercise of course).
Sun - Tentatively playing golf at Mt. Snow in the morning, but the temperature is in my borderline range, so we will see, 50/50 at this point. Then driving home.
Mon - WORK BLAH.

Vortex

We get Columbus Day off this year but we lost Patriot's Day...which I would rather have because most years we take vacation that week. We also exchanged a floater day to get MLK day off, which is a bit of a waste because most ski areas are packed that weekend and we only go 1/2 of the time.

Plan for this weekend is yard work on Saturday and a hike up Pack Monadnock on Sunday. Monday will be another around the house day...may get the skis out for their tune.

Don't get lost.:cool: I couple high school girls got lost a few weeks ago.

We have done the back side route twice this year. Its a nice one. If you have not tried that give it a go. You go past the main entrance on 101 take the next right as you go down the hill. Take the next two rights very small parking area a couple miles up.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't get a relocated holiday for it though... :???: Stupid thread, now it's gonna be even harder to get work done on Monday knowing that half my AZ friends are off doing something cool, like cleaning their basement... :spin:
If it makes you feel any better, the holiday I am taking is already a relocation of Labor Day on which I also worked. 8)

Glenn

Oktoberfest was a blast. Met up with vcunning there. Dinner with them at their room @ the Grand Summit.

Sunday, we went to the Apple Pie Fest in Dummerston. Hundreds of bikers show up. It's almost like a bike show. That was cool.

Warp Daddy

Back from a freaking great 50 th HS reunion saw , Most guys look great after that long a time and was surprised that we only "lost" 7 from a our class of 125 which was the first in the schools history . Altogether we had over 1000 attend because it was the schools 50 th Ann also so many other anniversary classes were there . After 3 days and evenings of events today is going to seem pretty quiet, We had a beautiful ride back thru the Dacks late afternoon yesterday

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Add in moving a worthless holiday to something practical like
Oh, let's not get started about what European "discovered" this continent first so we could "claim" ownership. I spent this summer exploring Western Mass and really coming to understand the rage the natives felt. I'd venture to say the native Americans really loath this holiday.

NorEasterSkier

Went out to eat last night with a long lost Aunt who came up from Florida. Always weird meeting family you've never met, but only have heard some crazy stories about.

gmcunni

Friday - going out to dinner (hibachi) with friends to celebrate some recent birthdays
Saturday - not much, probably some yardwork & housework, check out a tj maxx sale or two
Sunday - driving up to Boston, dinner out with wife & son, maybe some sightseeing
Monday - checking out colleges for son

i may have to give up skiing next season :-o