• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Post if You Don't Do Facebook

Edd

My dad will not take to the internet at all (my head shaking) but even he finds a cell phone useful.

2knees

I have an account but i cant recall the last time i logged in.

waaay too much of the "I think i'll eat an apple today" crap.

SkiDork

I like all original stuff. i don't like when people just repaste stuff... "Reply if you love someone" etc.

Riverskier

Really? I could see no Facebook, but I'm WAY too dependent on my cell phone now. So much so that we no longer have a land line.

I hate them! Getting almost run off the road constantly by people more interested in their conversations than driving. People having loud conversations in restaurants with no regard for people around them. Talking in line at stores and not paying attention to what they are doing, thus holding up lines. Hanging out with friends and their girl friends call every 5 minutes for no apparent reason whatsoever. Getting generally irrittated by the fact that people seem to feel the need to play with their phones constantly. I guess these are really gripes with people and not the phones themselves.

Personally, I don't want to be contacted when I am out. I like to go skiing for example, and being disconnected from the World (employer, wife, etc.). I have no problem staying in touch with people I choose. I have a home phone with an answering machine, so people can leave a message and I will get back to them. Generally I am an anti-social person too, and have no use in anything like this for social reasons, which explains the no Facebook page as well. The only reason for me to get a cell phone is for emergencies and for this reason, my days without one are numbered. I want to be available if my wife or daughter need me.

2knees

I hate them! Getting almost run off the road constantly by people more interested in their conversations than driving. People having loud conversations in restaurants with no regard for people around them. Talking in line at stores and not paying attention to what they are doing, thus holding up lines. Hanging out with friends and their girl friends call every 5 minutes for no apparent reason whatsoever. Getting generally irrittated by the fact that people seem to feel the need to play with their phones constantly. I guess these are really gripes with people and not the phones themselves.

Personally, I don't want to be contacted when I am out. I like to go skiing for example, and being disconnected from the World (employer, wife, etc.). I have no problem staying in touch with people I choose. I have a home phone with an answering machine, so people can leave a message and I will get back to them. Generally I am an anti-social person too, and have no use in anything like this for social reasons, which explains the no Facebook page as well. The only reason for me to get a cell phone is for emergencies and for this reason, my days without one are numbered. I want to be available if my wife or daughter need me.

I totally get where you are coming from. Until recently, my cell was basically emergency only plus I used it to contact other AZ members since that is where i had their phone numbers. I can not stand when we go out with friends and 80% of the group has their phones out the whole time texting and doing whatever. I just dont understand the inability of people to disconnect for a few hours. I have a blackberry now but work demanded I carry one at all times. Which is in and of itself a ridiculous request because the LAST phone call i'm going to take when i'm not working is one from work.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
you guys have all been talking about person to person Facebook. I find it way more interesting how businesses and organizations are using Facebook for PR and promotions. I already won $10 off a Liftopia ticket for doing little more than showing up.

Riverskier

I totally get where you are coming from. Until recently, my cell was basically emergency only plus I used it to contact other AZ members since that is where i had their phone numbers. I can not stand when we go out with friends and 80% of the group has their phones out the whole time texting and doing whatever. I just dont understand the inability of people to disconnect for a few hours. I have a blackberry now but work demanded I carry one at all times. Which is in and of itself a ridiculous request because the LAST phone call i'm going to take when i'm not working is one from work.

Yeah, I will probably fall into the emergency only group before long. I would probably go my whole life without one if social reasons were the only concern. However, with a wife and 4 month old baby, it is really just selfish of me not to have one at this point. Will probably just go with a pre-paid phone, as I wouldn't likely get my money's worth out of even the cheapest plan.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
In my mind, it's a good communication tool. Really no different than email for keeping in touch with friends.

It's also kind of like an online digital organizer. I no longer have to remember when friends birthdays are, I keep track of when my favorite bands might be playing locally (without Facebook, you'll never know when Greg's band Twisted Nut is playing ;) ) ski resorts do a lot of last minute deals through facebook these days.

Pretty much sums up my use. I won a pair of Darn Tough socks through their facebook site, and a page called Central Mass Events is always posting free/low-cost things to do with the family. Also works well to see what's going on with my cousins and their kids down in Florida.

WakeboardMom

I laugh at people who freak out about the privacy issues on FB. It's very simple to 'hide' anything about yourself that you don't wish for others to see.

In my mind, it's a good communication tool. Really no different than email for keeping in touch with friends.

It's also kind of like an online digital organizer. I no longer have to remember when friends birthdays are, I keep track of when my favorite bands might be playing locally (without Facebook, you'll never know when Greg's band Twisted Nut is playing ;) ) ski resorts do a lot of last minute deals through facebook these days.

I'm no junky like some of my friends who update their status everytime they go to the bathroom, but I do enjoy Facebook.

+1

My kids and their friends are scattered around the country. I love seeing what they're doing and it cracks me up when they comment on my status. Any friend I have that's under 30, I have because they requested it; another thing that cracks me up.

All my kids are my friends. My daughter, who's now 19, is the one who helped me set up the account back in '07 when she was still in high school. The four of them were my first friends.

Just curious...what was the point of this thread?

gorgonzola

i use mine mostly for ski, bike, beer, music stuff and to creep on my kids - i have hardly any "friends" but have re-connected with a few peeps lately. its also nice to share family pics etc.

WakeboardMom

No, your kids don't want to friend you.

I don't get that. All four of my kids are my friends...and have been for over three years now. (Including my 19-year-old daughter who posted a drunken video at 3 a.m. one morning. I think she was surprised by phone call at 8 the next morning. ; )

mlctvt

No Facebook for me.

I don't "text" either or accept "texts". If someone want's to reach me they can call me or email me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No Facebook for me.

I don't "text" either or accept "texts". If someone want's to reach me they can call me or email me.

I work in sales. 50% of my orders now come via text message.

If that's what's most convenient for my customer and how they wish to do business, fine by me.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I don't get that. All four of my kids are my friends...and have been for over three years now.

Marie, I'm specifically referring to the comment "

I'm too old. I don't think my kids want me to be on it.

Different families have different relationships. For you it works. For some of my kids it works, for others, not so much.

mlctvt

I work in sales. 50% of my orders now come via text message.

If that's what's most convenient for my customer and how they wish to do business, fine by me.

I work in high-tech manufacturing sales too and I've never received a request to receive texts or even cell phone messages. I guess our "high-tech " customers are low tech in the way they do business?
About 90% of orders are via email (most requested due to the paper trail) and about 10% by fax or even snail mail!

What the customer wants is key.

Edd

Texting is so efficient, especially if you have a decent keyboard on your phone. Phone calls feel painfully slow to me now.

dmc

Texting is a great way to communicate short messages... And you don't have to pick up a phone to answer...