• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Post if You Don't Do Facebook

roark

I'm not friends with my previous roomate because we work at the same company with me. Lived with him for 3 years, got drunk together, I saw him do stupid shit, vice versa, etc. We don't even work together, he's manufacturing, I'm pure desk job. No matter. Not friends on FB.
you do realize there are privacy setting you can adjust (groups, etc) as to who sees what, right? I accept all friend requests from coworkers, they just immediately get filed to the 'work' group who hardly get to see anything.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
what's facebook ?

The new Opiate of the Masses.

lenin.jpg

mondeo

you do realize there are privacy setting you can adjust (groups, etc) as to who sees what, right? I accept all friend requests from coworkers, they just immediately get filed to the 'work' group who hardly get to see anything.
Too much work. I see people at work on a regular basis, we have networked personal drives, no real benefit of Facebook. I can do everything it facilitates at work anyways.

Someone leaves the company, FB. The one exception at work is one of my good friends who moved away but still telecommutes.

jaja111

I bailed on FB not for what it is now, but for what it will be in the future. I pity all the people posting crap on it that they wouldn't want to be seen in their more "mature" years. Printed photographs were bad enough, but you could burn them!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I also hate to have to check phone messages and may not even have access to do so due to network issues.... It's so much easier to use texting...
+1. I can't stand checking my vm. We have an auto-dialer at work that alerts me to system events, but I also get an email about it. I have that number's ring tone set to mute, so my vm box often fills up on me anyway.

NorEasterSkier

I have a facebook page, but it is more or less just a placeholder. I just think there are much better ways to spend my time. It really just is an address book, more or less... at least for me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
waaay too much of the "I think i'll eat an apple today" crap.
I am a reluctant FB user due to posts like that. I used LJ for years and enjoy that type of social networked weblog much more. Unfortunately, LJ is dead, everyone jumped to FB, and there really are not any other good webloging options. FB really sucked up the social networking market share. I'd love to see a non-proprietary networking social networking app... a universal feed creator and aggregator with built in restrictions, security, groups, etc. That way people can truly social network without having to go a singular proprietary route. Having a single handle across multi-platforms would seem necessary.

My other big issue with FB is that it is more a free opt in marketing platform now than a social networking platform. I don't have a problem with having a limited number of businesses that I agree to allow them to advertise to me via FB (also known as "friending" -- this is really opt in advertising just like agreeing to have ads sent to you via email). But I think it gets kind of absurd when feeds begin to have a vast majority of posts either "I think I'll eat an apple today" or marketing. Or ex-GFs. What the F is up with that? Any ways, I think I have hidden 75% or more of the folks that have friended me on FB because they are posting about eating apples a few times a day.

Long story short, I am a reluctent FB user and try to get what I can out of the platform strictly due to the market share it has of the social networking world.

dmc

Yeah... Facebook is mundane..

Now where's the Alpine Zone - "Dinner - whats cooking" and "What are you doing now" threads...

dmc

At least you can choose not to read certain threads without removing the entire Misc category on AZ....

There are maybe 50 people that I pay attention to on FB.. I have people divided in to categories.. GOOD/SKI/FAMILY/WORK/etc...

Works well..