• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Adjustable length ski poles?

New Daddy

Does anyone know if adjustable length downhill ski poles are still being made?
I used to have a pair from Goode but can't seem to find any adjustable length poles anymore from any manufacturer.
I shortened the poles when I decided to spend most of the day on bumps and lengthened them back on a groomer day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Does anyone know if adjustable length downhill ski poles are still being made?
I used to have a pair from Goode but can't seem to find any adjustable length poles anymore from any manufacturer.
I shortened the poles when I decided to spend most of the day on bumps and lengthened them back on a groomer day.
Maybe you can just use a pair of hiking poles. They come with snow baskets. Mine are from Black Diamond.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3781515

TheBEast

Another one for the BD....good system and lots of friends who love them. Haven't broken down and gotten a pair myself just yet, but when I'm in the market for a new set of poles, those will be the choice.

tjf67

Maybe you can just use a pair of hiking poles. They come with snow baskets. Mine are from Black Diamond.

I use the Black Diamond as well. They are the cheapest I could find. They are always in EMS. I use them for everythiing. If they break I have a couple sets and just switch in one pole at a time. Those Carbon ones snap all the time and get expensive to replace.

ts01

K2 introduced touring poles last year too with some sort of a cam lock device like the BD. Haven't seen in person.

FYI there's a nice price on a pair of adjustable Leki's on ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390251751441&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123. I'm slightly bitter because I bought these last month for $99 and now they're $79.

Two points in favor of the Leki pole: 1 - it's a carbon construction that feels great in your hand, and 2, it's got the Leki releasable trigger strap -- easy to clip in and out for lifts and more important if your pole gets snagged in the trees or if you take a tumble, the pole releases and there's less risk of hand injury.

snowmonster

I use the BD Expedition pole for both inbounds and back/sidecountry. It has two flicklocks so it collapses to a very short length. Great for packing and strapping to a pack. I replaced the powder baskets with 3/4 baskets so they don't drag as much on non-powder surfaces.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, turns out that I needed some new poles for this ski season and saw this thread and looked at EMS.com in part because I received a $15 coupon in the mail from them that had to be used. Based on what folks were saying about the Black Diamond Traverse, I looked at it online and was impressed at the looks of the poles.

I went to the store and looked them over. Very good quality and the trigger locks are better than the Leki telescoping/sliding locks which I have. I am partial to Leki because I have had good luck with them, but they were significantly more expensive and I liked the colors, grips, features, and the locks of the Traverse. So I snagged a pair for skiing and snowshoeing and will use my Leki Super Makalus for hiking because that is really what they are designed for (the anti-shock springs don't do well if they get water in them and the three section design is not always best for skiing).

If anyone is looking for skiing poles that will double for BC and snowshoeing (as I was), get these:

Now onto getting some skins and BC bindings/equivalents.

SKIQUATTRO

i have adjustables from Masters...3pc adustable...dont like them, they loosen up..too many moving parts, next pair will be BD with the flip lock.