• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AT binding (getting started)

Edd

I'm looking at getting an AT binding, but I have no experience with them. The initial goal would be to skin up resort mountains during windhold powder days and basic sidecountry.

I've noticed discussion in past threads of Marker Dukes and Barons. A buddy and I stopped at EMS today and an employee there was pretty helpful (says he skis with the FIS guys) with basic info but a couple questions come to mind.

The EMS guy preferred Fritschi bindings because they had a good adjustment range for hiking mode and he said the Markers just had one setting for that. Looking online at some Marker Barons I see there are settings for 5 or 10 degree incline while hiking. Was he mistaken or am I missing something here?

I'd like this to be my primary binding and I am, after all, a full on east coast alpine skier so I want these to perform well on ice and bumps. I've gotten the impression that the Markers are burlier and serve better as a typical alpine binding than the Fritschis. Do you folks agree with that?

About boots: You guys with AT bindings, are you using AT or alpine boots and what is your advice regarding those? For the sake of cost I'd like to start with bindings and transition to AT boots later.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It sounds like you are looking for a one binding/ski solution so you want the burliest binding you can find, so go with the Markers. Fritschis are good and some folks resort ski on they are not as bomber as the Markers (I actually have a busted toe piece on one of my two pair).

Regarding boots, your cheapest and easiest option is to stick with Alpine boots for now via a binding that can accept Alpine boots as well as AT if you eventually pony up the extra cash. I started touring in my X Waves which were heavy as hell and I eventually upgraded. Better to know you are in for the long haul and an extra pair of boots is worth it rather than find out after sinking the money that you may only tour once or twice a year at best and don't need the upgrade.

Sounds like you best option is Marker AT binding of your choice + use your current alpine boots and go from there. Don't forget about cost of skins, touring poles (if you want them), backpack (if you don't have one), and any additional layers you might need (i.e. leave your ski parka in the lodge).

Edd

Took your advice and picked up some Barons. I was going to throw them on existing skis but decided to go all in (except boots) and got some K2 Hardsides which should handle ungroomed / powder decently.