• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skin Cutting / Install Questions

deadheadskier

Staff member
disclaimer, I know absolutely nothing about skins. I bought some skins and Marker Dukes, but never got around to touring last season. Today I'm kicking myself for not even being ready to go, so I'm trying to 'install' these.

I had purchased a set of 100mm G3 Skins last season.

My skis have dimensions of 124mm tip, 92mm waist, 114mm tail.

Most of how to cut them and all makes sense, but I have a bit of concern about whether the tip loops are large enough for my skis. It doesn't appear they slide far enough down the tip of the ski and I might run into issues with them falling off.

I have attached pictures. Does it appear the loop is compatible with my ski or should I look into ordering a larger size loop such that it slides further down???

Lastly, and the most n00b question of them all. Storing skins. You just stick the glue sides together and roll them up yes? The skins did come with this waffle type plastic sheet. Is advised that it gets placed between them??/

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks Martin!

So, if I understand what your saying - the storage sandwich would go like:

glueside/base <-> base/glueside. The cheat sheet goes where in this equation?

By not going glue to glue, don't risk getting dust, ect. on the glueside, which I read is bad news for skin life.

I'm hoping we get some decent snow down Southern NH. I'll probably look at checking out a low angle NELSAP area to get a bit of practice in, then I'm game for anything.

roark

Fold the skins over glue to glue with the cheat sheet in between.

Make sure they're dry before you store them.

snowmonster

^ What roark said. Make sure to pick lut pine needles and rocks from the glue side before you fold 'em.

There's a NELSAP golf course that's ridiculously hilly near where I live. I do my practice skinning there. I'm game for any NELSAP adventures.

deadheadskier

Staff member
thanks guys

trimmed and stored back in the bag as you suggested. Looking forward to getting out there.

So, one last question. Are handling skins out on the trail as big of a pain the ass as I anticipate after struggling with them in the comforts of my living room. :lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So, one last question. Are handling skins out on the trail as big of a pain the ass as I anticipate after struggling with them in the comforts of my living room. :lol:
Ha! :lol: During the ski season, I am most likely to do skinning when lifts are on wind hold. Imagine that and you'll know the answer to your question.

Just to echo above posts, your tip is fine. You'll have your tail clipped too so unless your tail clip is too loose, you don't really need much tip to hook on to. I use the waffle cheat sheet between my skins always. As roark stated above, glue to glue with the cheat sheet in between. You can cut down the cheat sheet to match your skins to reduce bulk and make it easier to get them in and out of the bag. Apply, release the binding, and enjoy!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess what I'm having a hard time picturing is putting the skins away once at the top of the ascent. Do you all just lie the skin glue side up in the snow, put the cheater divider down, lie the next skin glue side down on top of that, roll up and go?

Also reading you're not supposed to store skins unless they're completely dry? Do you hang your skins up at the end of the day to let them dry out before rerolling and putting them away?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
After skinning during transitions, I usually apply the cheater sheet but I feel I am one of the very few that do. I am not sure I remember ever seeing anyone else ever do this. Most folks just fold each skin over itself (glue against glue). This can be a HUGE pain with new skins when the glue is still super sticky as tearing them apart is just a pain. Not as much of an issue once you have used the skins a few times.

I either hang the skins or just lay them on the floor plush side down to dry. I have a dog so I usually hang them. One of these days, perhaps with an old pair I don't use any more, I should have some fun with the dog and see what happens. :lol:

snowmonster

When I transition from skin to ski mode, I usually just fold the skin base to base, loop them under my pack's waistbelt then go skiing. It's a royal pain getting them separated that I keep telling myself that I ought to bring up my cheat sheets next time.