• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon: Boyne's Forgotten Resort???

Vortex

A few have moved on. Charlies S does not post much any more. Greg spent some time at Loon, looks like the Bush gets more for his overnight stays. I have Moved on Wakeboard mom as well.

Loon has its Boston feel. Easy ride for Day skiers and many Cape folks have the 2nd homes there. I was one of the many parents that liked Loon cause you could do some stuff at home ie kids sports in the am and still ski in the pm or vise versa with the 1.5 hour ride to nashua of 1.15 to manchester.

Kind of has the resort social feel at times, maybe a bit less hard core than other places.

People tend to go to Cannon to change it up. Parks are big there. We don't seem to have many folks real vocal about parks here.

There was quite a bit of talk about Waterville and loon together when they were under the same management.

Loon is doing well with or without us.

Johnskismore spends some time there.

Loon is great, but better mid week. Like any mountain the more you ski it the easier it is to work around the crowds.

Wakboardmom meet us at Barker around 11.30 any Sat or Sunday and we will give you a tour.. Usually my only visit to Barker each day.

The River really does not get that busy on the hill. You have to avoid Barker unless its early and Jordan around ten. Sunday River is easy to avoid the Crowds. I rarely wait in line at all.

Coming from Loon and going to the River. Night and day difference in traffic.

I love Loon its just I am lazy, easier to walk out my door and ski. I plan on more trips to loon this year.

Loon also opens later than Sunday River and closes earlier than Sugarloaf.

Quite a bit of talk is about early opening and Late closings.

Under booth Creek Loon would compete with Bretton woods for the first to open around the 2nd week end of november. After a few years that Changed to just high country at Waterville.
quite a bit has changed.

The Sneak

not a big fan of loon. the trails always seem firm and flat. not much offpiste or ungroomed -or that I've seen anyway.

I strongly prefer bretton woods, another less 'core' mtn, over loon.
Rosebrook Canyon (I think that's what its called) keeps me entertained over anything at loon.

though it is fun to take the gondi and burn back to the bottom. you can rack up 20k vertical before lunch midweek that way.

Riverskier

Some might say there isn't much difference between Loon and Sunday River, thus the thread. 8)

Are you kidding? Sunday River has almost twice the acreage, is less crowded, has a more extensive lift system, and MUCH better expert terrain. I could go on with the comparisons, but the fact is they aren't even in the same league.

As to the original question, for me the answer is simple- I live in Maine. Sunday River is 60 miles door to door, about an 1:15. Sugarloaf is about 2:15. Loon is about the same as Sugarloaf. I do 90% of my skiing at Sunday River, but if I am going to travel an extra hour it is going to be for better terrain, and not for what I see as inferior terrain.

BackLoafRiver

I try not to judge an area before I have skied it but the general consensus (since I have been active on these forums) seems to be that Loon gets crowded, and quickly. For me, it is a matter of convenience as Loon is pretty far (3 hours) so, unless it is a blackout day, I stay within the 2 hour travel time. (if I am going to travel to NH to ski, I may as well just hit Wildcat which seems more my speed anyway)

That being said, I am going to try to get there at some point this year to check it out. Same with Stratton and Okemo. I like to check out as many different ski areas as possible to get my own feel for vibe and terrain. Who knows, mid-week it might be pretty ok.

Razor

We've hit Loon a number of times in the past couple of years since it became part of the New England pass. Sometimes we'll stop on the way to SR. At other times we'll stay at Parkers and combine Loon with Cannon. I've grown to like Loon a lot, but we always ski it weekdays, thus avoiding the weekend mess. High speed lifts make for much daily vertical. The gondola is great on cold days. The new side provides some nice long cruisers with few people. One underrated aspect of Loon is the tree skiing. We've spent much time in all the on map tree areas. My only complaint is that they seem to keep the trees closed unnecessarily during the week and we find ourselves ducking ropes often. Generally when we do this, the conditions are primo and we're left wondering why they're closed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, but why is Boyne not putting Loon out there as much as Sunday River and Sugarloaf? Or is this a case of me selectively reading things?

:wink:

Vortex

They don't have to TB. Its location keeps it in the mix. Under two hours from Boston Markets itself. Everyone knows that they make quite of bit of snow. Why spend the money?

bobbutts

Loon gets ignored for the same reason Okemo and Stratton get ignored. The people here are the wrong demographic for the ski area. There aren't a heck of a lot of blue square cruisers who hang out on skiing-related internet message boards.
Interesting that all three of these places have some of the top parks in the region. This demographic seems to be almost totally unrepresented on this board.

Riverskier

OK, but why is Boyne not putting Loon out there as much as Sunday River and Sugarloaf? Or is this a case of me selectively reading things?

:wink:

Well, the general consensus seems to be that Loon is about the most crowded ski area in New England as it is, so perhaps they don't need to promote it as much.

Sunday River seems to be the crown jewel of Boyne's eastern holdings, and may (just a guess) be more in direct competition with places like Killington than Loon would be.

As for Sugarloaf, they have to do something to get people up there!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
The terrain is really good, they're just really hampered by the elevation, which limits snowfall. I would love to ski Loon on a powder day.

But then again, anywhere is nice on a powder day.

WakeboardMom

I have Moved on Wakeboard mom as well.

?!?!?

Wakboardmom meet us at Barker around 11.30 any Sat or Sunday and we will give you a tour.. Usually my only visit to Barker each day.

There was a day I was going to me a group of you at the North Peak lodge around 11:30; the group changed plans and so weren't there when I got there. I'll keep Barker in mind. Thank you.

millerm277

Interesting that all three of these places have some of the top parks in the region. This demographic seems to be almost totally unrepresented on this board.

The requirement of speaking something that resembles correct english and relatively active moderation, keeps them off this board I'm thinking. :flame:

/stereotype

rocojerry

Loon

Loon is where I spent a lot of time my first 3-5 years with a seasons pass. I know the mountain probably better than any in the east after spending so much time there.

I agree that they don't need to advertise it, its some of the best groomed/man-made snow close to the boston area-- The off mountain lincoln-woodstock condo sprawl supports it quite well, and I know many familys that have gone there for decades.

If you ski a few times a year, its a great place to go.. If you can ski weekdays, you'll be very happy on a snowy day. Its a great place to learn, bring a family, or enjoy cruisers. I found it a pretty good place to learn how to tele, while there wasn't much instructional support -- the terrain allows you to progress.

My guess is Boyne owns more of the lodging around SR/Loaf, so therefore benefits more from advertising them for the getaways. I think Loon's bread and butter is season passes, and there really isn't a whole lot of on-mountain lodging.

Vortex

?!?!?

There was a day I was going to me a group of you at the North Peak lodge around 11:30; the group changed plans and so weren't there when I got there. I'll keep Barker in mind.
Thank you.

I ment you did not rent at Loon last year and were making some trips to the River.. Feekin Monkeybrook and his North peak Meet ups.8) Nice place for Lunch

There is always a group of us at Barker in that time Frame. We are easy to find and if you ask Steve or Scotty where we are. If not sent a pm and we will get you in the myriad of text messages that we all ignore. :cool:

WakeboardMom

I ment you did not rent at Loon last year and were making some trips to the River.. Feekin Monkeybrook and his North peak Meet ups.8) Nice place for Lunch

There is always a group of us at Barker in that time Frame. We are easy to find and if you ask Steve or Scotty where we are. If not sent a pm and we will get you in the myriad of text messages that we all ignore. :cool:

Got it. I don't remember ever hanging out in Barker. We usually go to South Ridge or White Cap. Will keep Barker in mind. : ) Thanks.

CollegeKid

There are some trails at Loon that offer the steep and deep! They are not marked on the map. There are definitely some of the steepest and toughest off piste trails I have skied! Sorry WJenness, I did realize the unwritten rule!

Last edited:

WJenness

CollegeKid,

With just 12 posts, I can see you're new to the game around here...

Posting these 'stashes' on message boards is generally frowned upon... I'd recommend editing your post to not give away the location, or you'll be getting some flames...

The rule is generally 'show, don't tell'.

-w