• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will the real vertical drop please stand up.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Cool site. Still a lot of areas not checked yet such as Burke and Waterville that they will definitely knocked down to real size. They really put K and SR in perspective regarding vert and show just how big Whiteface is.

UVSHTSTRM

Love it! This type of stuff I find very cool. However one question, where does he get the verts for places like Sugarloaf, Killington, but with no green check mark? According to the website, no green check mark = not being verified. And what do they consider continously? I mean all of Sugarloafs vert is continous (not all lift served aka the 1 minute walk to the summit). And Killington although flat, boring, etc in spots is all continuous I believe.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Love it! This type of stuff I find very cool. However one question, where does he get the verts for places like Sugarloaf, Killington, but with no green check mark? According to the website, no green check mark = not being verified. And what do they consider continously? I mean all of Sugarloafs vert is continous (not all lift served aka the 1 minute walk to the summit). And Killington although flat, boring, etc in spots is all continuous I believe.
Click the link that defines true up vert. One of their criteria is trying to define what the typical skier will do the over whelming majority of the time. For example, skiers would very rarely ski from K Peak to Route 4, from Loaf summit to the bottom of Snubber, from Jordan to the base of White Cap at SR. These are all routes that might be chosen only because you want to get back to a certain lodge where you are basing out of and would likely not be done if better planning your MO of attack for the day. Or at least not done for any other purpose than to get to a lodge, condo, or your car.

UVSHTSTRM

Click the link that defines true up vert. One of their criteria is trying to define what the typical skier will do the over whelming majority of the time. For example, skiers would very rarely ski from K Peak to Route 4, from Loaf summit to the bottom of Snubber, from Jordan to the base of White Cap at SR. These are all routes that might be chosen only because you want to get back to a certain lodge where you are basing out of and would likely not be done if better planning your MO of attack for the day. Or at least not done for any other purpose than to get to a lodge, condo, or your car.

Okay thanks. I kinda figured that. I also noticed that most if not all of the east hadn't been verified, can anyone else verify other eastern resorts who's true verts are not what is currently on the site. Just curious, places like Saddleback I don't think will hold up while places in NH (Loon, Cannon, WV) will pretty much all hold up.

tjf67

I have always said Jay skis bigger than its vert indicated. Now I know why.

drjeff

On a quick glance through that pretty cool site, seems to be that if an area has a "true base" to "true summit" lift (or lifts if their paths basically follow a contiguous bottom to top line) then their real vertical basically equals their reported vertical. If an area's reported vertical is acheived via multiple lifts and basically lateral (as opposed to vertical) motion to get between the lifts, then the discrepency arises. By far and away a concept that isn't suprising to the vast majority of folks. What is suprising though is some cases is how great the discrepency between reported vertical and true vertical is :eek:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I like that Sugarbush is the most verticle in VT.
Sure doesn't ski like it, though. Great pods but terrible top to bottom. IMO.

@tjf67 - I feel the opposite about Jay. It skis significantly shorter than the vertical suggests. You only get the full vertical when you take the tram and ski back to tram base. And you have a major flat run out at the bottom or a traverse but via Taxi for a couple hundred of that vert.

@UVSHTSTRM - WV will get their vert chopped because they use Mount Tecumseh as their top vert which is one of the biggest stretches in the industry. And when the summit double is actually even open, I doubt many skiers take more than one or two top to bottom runs per day. That thing is a slug and doesn't access much extra vert. I think it should be counted (unlike the summit of the mountain) but overall, I think WV skis significantly shorter than its supposed vert. Probably one of the shortest skiing mountains to claim 2k.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Cool site. Still a lot of areas not checked yet such as Burke and Waterville that they will definitely knocked down to real size. They really put K and SR in perspective regarding vert and show just how big Whiteface is.

I doubt that Burke will change. I also don't think that Sugarbush will change.

crank

Mountains like Jay and Sugarbush may have bigger "true vertical" but how much do long, flat run out's like both those mountains have differ from a long flat connecting trail?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The problem with Mount Ellen is there is nothing worth skiing below Northridge Quad unless you are a beginner or enjoy long useless run outs. I am not questioning the validity of using Mount Ellen's full vertical for the purposes of this guy's web site. I just think the run out is pretty useless, as many VT run outs are. Just the lay of the land, can't change that.

vonski

That stat really applies to Mount Ellen. IMHO Mount Ellen is a great mountain to get some long runs on.
Last run of the Day. Panorama, Rim Run, lower Elbow to Northway to semi tough/ woods. Northway can be a leg burner, but that can be one long fun run! Or for that matter, anyway off the Summitor even Northridge to Inverness makes great long runs.