• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon / Mittersill

SteveInCT

I was just looking at the Cannon Mountain trail map and was wondering what the Mittersill area is all about. On the map, it looks like there are defined trails and a base lodge, yet no lift (although it says they have one planned). Was that a different ski area at one point or something? I find it strange to have all of those trails and a lodge without a lift.

Anyone have the history of that?

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com

SteveInCT

Yeah, I probably should have not been so lazy and used the old "search" button. Ya know, it would have been faster than typing my post! =)

Sorry about cluttering up the board and thanks for the info!

thetrailboss

Staff member
This will answer your questions: http://www.nelsap.org/nh/mittersill.html

Mittersill is a very historical area. It went out of business in the 1980's and became a mecca for backcountry skiers because of its easy access and terrain.

Cannon has been trying for almost as long as Mittersill has been closed to purchase the land on which it sits from the White Mountain National Forest. That was accomplished through a land transfer that was finalized last spring.

Since then Cannon has opened it as sanctioned backcountry terrain. It is installing a new double on the path of the existing lift.

And anyone have any pictures of how the lift is coming along?