• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Airfares?

RISkier

Been looking at a range of ski destinations including Banff, Tahoe (fly to Reno), SLC, Denver. Work schedules limit flexibility but airfares seem much much higher than in years past. Anyone else been shopping airfares?

Geoff

Fuel costs are about to shoot up as the US dollar weakens. Expect airfares to go up rather than down.

tjf67

think ther fuel costs are hedged. They are limiting the supply to jack up the price. Book early. Got Alb NY to Bozeman for 389.00. Don't know whether that is a good price as compared to the past ut seemed reasonable to me.

wa-loaf

Been looking at a range of ski destinations including Banff, Tahoe (fly to Reno), SLC, Denver. Work schedules limit flexibility but airfares seem much much higher than in years past. Anyone else been shopping airfares?

I booked a flight to Tahoe from Providence on Southwest for $370 with all the fees.

abc

Too early.

The price will drop after Christmas.

Same pattern every year.

Just have to bite your nail till past New Year.

rtibbs4

Website
www.basecampmountsnow.com
Been pricing flights to Vancouver for Whistler and can't find anything less than $650 when you include tax and baggage fees. That's about 40% higher than I usually pay. Hoping it goes down but not very optimistic.

Geoff

Been pricing flights to Vancouver for Whistler and can't find anything less than $650 when you include tax and baggage fees. That's about 40% higher than I usually pay. Hoping it goes down but not very optimistic.

My sister lives in Vancouver and I fly there at least once per year. $650 sounds about right. I haven't seen sub-$500 in several years. I always use frequent flyer miles since it's so expensive to buy a ticket.

rtibbs4

Website
www.basecampmountsnow.com
My sister lives in Vancouver and I fly there at least once per year. $650 sounds about right. I haven't seen sub-$500 in several years. I always use frequent flyer miles since it's so expensive to buy a ticket.

We went to CO last year but prior years I don't think we paid over $400 tops but we did go through flightnetwork which is a Canadian company and took advantage of their pricing in Canadian dollars. Unfortunately there is no benefit this year as the exchange is pretty much even.

Bummer.

dmc

So glad I don't have to pay for airfare now..
I have enough miles on AA and Delta for several trips.. :)

Flight attendant came up to me on Tuesdays flight and and congratulated me on my latest Sky Miles promotion.. :)

I do think prices will go down if people wait a bit.. Pre holiday probably isn't the best time to book.. I don't usually book until a couple weeks out.

RISkier

I'd really like to go to Banff but I'm not finding any decent airfares to Calgary. I've found some real decent ski and stay packages but the airfares are not attractive.

gmcunni

was planning family vaca for Feb break and it really came down to airfare being the deciding factor for us. We ended up going with NYC to Denver. a few other places were in same $$ ballpark but we didn't' want to fly across the country and then drive 3 hours to a mountain.

dropKickMurphy

Too early.

The price will drop after Christmas.

Same pattern every year.

Just have to bite your nail till past New Year.

Last couple of years I found and booked cheap airfare from Providence and Boston to SLC around September for late January and February trips. I kept checking and never saw it go any lower than what I had paid.

Everything did seem significantly higher this year until Southwest came out with their "Getaway" specials. I just booked flights from Providence to SLC for first week of March for $144 each way. with fees, it ended up being $330 round trip.

The free baggage saves $80 round trip from what Delta would charge for 1 suitcase + skis/boots. So the $330 fare on Southwest is the equivalent of a $250 round trip on Delta.

Last edited:

RENO

Got tickets on Southwest Phili to Denver last Feb for an awesome $171 each nonstop roundtrip. Booked end of October. Haven't seen anything close this season so far. Don't expect $171 again. I'll probably find something around $250. Looking at a few lodging deals first before I book a flight...

mikestaple

BOS to Hayden (Steamboat) is 100 more this year - 271 vs 380.

Flights stayed static for months at this price from Jan - April. I suspect places like Steamboat or Sun Valley (aka a real pain to get to) provide some sort of airline supplement to keep the price "down". But even this year they are up. Not sure what the prices into Eagle have done though.

Definitely more to fly out West this year. Probably favors flying into SLC where Jet Blue or Southwest keep the prices down and you have multiple options for resorts to ski.